Author Topic: On the Avalanche of Spam, and Some Ways to Cope  (Read 7603 times)

'lance

• View Profile
On the Avalanche of Spam, and Some Ways to Cope
« on: November 28, 2006, 04:27:17 PM »
If you're getting more than the usual amount of spam lately, you're not the only one. A computer consultant I know forwarded me this article, from PCWorld.

I haven't read the whole thing yet, nor followed any of the links, but apparently the numbers prove there's an upsurge, and there's evidence of something called "botnets" being to blame.

Anyway the article also points to some free or free-trial email filters that may be worthwhile.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 04:39:34 PM »
Interesting ... I have three @canada.com free email accounts.  One is (or was until I secured a sympatico account) strictly reserved for professional communication.  The second account is for discussion board email and friends, and the third one was established and dedicated to email exchange while I was exploring the wild & wooly world of internet dating.  That last account has been recently deluged by dozens of spam messages while the first two are mostly spam-free.

* STDs ... who knew?   :oops:

* Spam Torrent Dispatches.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2006, 04:56:48 PM »
There is a particular kind of spam I've been getting for a couple of months now -- the sender name and the subject line are the same, or the sender name is at least in the subject. (I'd give you an example, except I just emptied my trash bins and I can't quite remember how they do it.)

Thunderbird saves me from ever even opening those, but there are a ton of them coming through. I assume they're looking for live accounts, and somehow, I'm told, they get that message back if you even open them.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2006, 05:01:55 PM »
PS: That is amazing testimony from Scott Adams about his dysphonia. Well worth a read.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 05:02:20 PM »
I have a spam filter that marks such things as undesirable, but I almost missed genuine messages from clients - just new clients who had reached me upon recommendation from other clients. Almost lost a couple of important contracts that way.

Sheesh, these days often people send me stuff via e-mail without ever phoning me beforehand, and I mean clients in Montréal, not in Vancouver or overseas.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2006, 05:04:15 PM »
My ISP offers a spam filter at the server for 10 bucks a year. I don't check it very often but it stops zillions of them. I've had a couple problems though when the filter stopped legit mail. One happened recently and when I informed the ISP, they fixed it and reported that the sender was now on a 'whitelist', as opposed to blacklist, I guess. I've also been getting the sort that skdadl mentions. Joe Blow is the sender and the subject line is 'Joe writes'. The last couple of days, there have been zillions of 'Re: Hi' subject lines.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 05:08:48 PM »
Yes, that item about dysphonia is relevant and informative.  And for all YouTube addicts out there - you know who you are  :wink: - how about this:
You know how software media players can "visualize" your music for you on your computer screen? That's for wimps. Check out this Ruben's Tube video for the real thing.
You'll have to read the article 'lance linked to, I can't seem to paste the URL here.  :(

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

radiorahim

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 01:54:42 AM »
I have an e-mail address listed on every single page of my website...ripe for being harvested by the spambots...and yet I've never received a single piece of spam at that address.

My web hosting provider must have some really good spam filtering.
Free software, Free society

gunnar gunnarson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 08:37:53 AM »
Yabbut rr, you have a direct line to the 'net gods.  That must come with some special props.

radiorahim

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2006, 01:30:01 AM »
Yabbut rr, you have a direct line to the 'net gods. That must come with some special props.

Naaa....no such luck...all my other e-mail addresses get clobbered just like everyone elses!

When I first signed up with Sympatico my very first e-mail message at my sympatico e-mail address was spam...the ink wasn't even dry on it!
Free software, Free society

'lance

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2006, 01:50:41 PM »
My ISP (Telus, it grieves me to say) has an option where they delete all the spam at their end -- at least, everything their system labels as spam.

I have to admit, their detection routines must be pretty good. They've never yet mislabelled anything I wanted delivered, and almost never failed to label something I didn't want. So it's tempting to choose that option.

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 03:07:22 PM »
I'm getting tons of it again. Three or four different types go like this: From Joe Blow, subject: re: Joe Blow. And variants in which one name from the sender is repeated in the subject line. I think they're all stocks. One is touting something called 'Physicians Adult Daycare'.  :roll:

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 03:10:32 PM »
I had five spam come in today to a blog post entitled Misogyny Epitomized that were for hot young teens, Lesbian sex, and BDSM :roll:
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 03:48:05 PM »
A good word for spam from Québec: pourriel.  (Hoping the rest of la francophonie accepts "courriel", first, in lieu of "mèl").

In German: E-Müll (Müll means rubbish).

Keeping my eyes peeled for others. In Italian, @ is a chiocciola (snail).

In Spanish, on can be non-sexist thus: amig@s
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT