Author Topic: The Complaints Choirs  (Read 22059 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
The Complaints Choirs
« on: November 29, 2006, 07:58:47 AM »
This is a shameless steal from friend Mycroft at babble (one of those people one misses so much).

From what I can tell, a couple of Finnish artists came up with this idea -- a choir of local people who sing through everyone's complaints -- and it is now spreading.

I found these performances both very funny and very moving. It's amazing how interesting and affecting it is to look at all the faces all the way through -- I was feeling these waves of affection for people, just people, speaking their minds. Some of their lines are political, but many are cranky-funny -- as the Helsinki choir sings at one point, just going to work every day makes us crazy.

As you'll see at the end of the Birmingham performance, it was produced by the artists who started things up in Helsinki. We should do some research, to see whether they're taking the project elsewhere or whether others are picking up on it independently.

Make sure to listen to the Helsinki performance -- the choir sings in Finnish, but there are subtitles, and they are very good. The wit of the Birmingham performance is more accessible to us, and the ending of that film is terrific.

The Helsinki Complaints Choir

The Complaints Choir of Birmingham

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Complaints Choirs
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 08:10:47 AM »
Aha. Already I see I was wrong -- the Birmingham choir was the original.

'lance

• View Profile
The Complaints Choirs
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 01:42:38 PM »
That's one of those delightfully nutty ideas that could only have come from England -- though somehow I'm not surprised to see that Finland has a version too. Finland is, after all, the country that brought the world the Leningrad Cowboys.

Then of course there's the "Highway Code" and the "Weather Forecast," sung by the Master Singers.

(Please to note: I am not the Lance on that page; he is not I. In fact, from his profile he looks to be a late-blooming upstart. Hmmph).

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Complaints Choirs
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 04:49:07 PM »
Well, the thing is, the organizing genii were indeed a Finnish couple (one is Finnish, the other German-Finnish). So why they started off in Birmingham I don't know.

Anyway, I think we should do a complaints choir here too. Remember: no singing talent is required.

We just collect simple complaints, one-liners, for a while, and then turn them into a song. Remember also that each stanza will conclude with the line "It's not fair."

Copy for the BnR Complaints Choir:

The Liberal leadership campaign has gone on about six months too long. It's not fair.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
The Complaints Choirs
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2006, 04:54:39 PM »
Can I add a bunch?

I'm starting to feel sick. It's not fair

I have three more tests to go through. It's not fair

The last test is in Oshawa, I get kicked out at 7am and probably can't get a ride back till at least 8am so need to find somewhere to hang out for at least an hour. It's not fair!!!!!!!!!
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Complaints Choirs
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2006, 04:57:19 PM »
I have a deadbeat client, and she was a bitch to work with in the first place. It's not fair.

'lance

• View Profile
The Complaints Choirs
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2006, 05:24:54 PM »
I can't cycle because of snow and ice. It's not fair.

Because of snow and ice, lots of people are crowding onto the buses who normally drive. The buses are full to the rivets, so my commute takes twice as long. Amateurs! Who do they think they are?! It's not fair!!!

lagatta

• View Profile
The Complaints Choirs
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2006, 05:42:46 PM »
I'm complaining because I miss Mycroft. :(
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
The Complaints Choirs
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2006, 09:07:10 PM »
My country is run by morans. It's not fair!!!!

gunnar gunnarson

• View Profile
The Complaints Choirs
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 10:08:24 PM »
Nobody laughs at my jooooooooookes.  It's not fair!

Boom Boom

• View Profile
The Complaints Choirs
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 10:19:45 PM »
I knocked out a filling last week, and there's no dentist here at least until mid - December. :(

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
The Complaints Choirs
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 09:59:50 PM »
I prepared for a pelvic ultrasound today by ingesting copious amounts of water and hanging on to it for over an hour, then another hour waiting for a late cab and finally had to cancel the test cause I was going to be way too late and now have to extend my med test decathlon till the 11th of Dec.
It's not fair!!!!!!!
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

deBeauxOs

The Complaints Choirs
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 10:12:15 PM »
oy ... what Debra said.  That's not fair!

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
The Complaints Choirs
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 11:33:54 PM »
The universe is insolent and does not do my bidding whenever I demand it.  It's not fair!

Alix

• View Profile
The Complaints Choirs
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2006, 09:25:47 AM »
I auditioned for a part in a play, and instead of getting the role I wanted, I got the bitchy next-door neighbour role, while the prettiest and skinniest (although not necessarily the best actress) got the role I wanted. It's not faaaiiirrr!
"If permanence were possible, why would the seasons change?"
- Naguib Mahfouz

Return To TAT