Author Topic: Feminist Men  (Read 1443 times)

vmichel

• View Profile
Feminist Men
« on: June 14, 2006, 06:02:38 PM »
I posted this at EM but I'm copying it here too due to popular request :wink:

This is kind of a random link, but here is a nice student editorial by a man who explains why he considers himself feminist:

I am a white, middle-class, married, Christian, US Army veteran man. I was raised in a conservative Christian home with conservative Republican parents. I have never done drugs, never been arrested, and lead a “normal” American life. I am also, however, a feminist.

The term feminist is, I have found, one of the most misunderstood and misused terms. I am comfortable with that title because I know exactly what it means and entails.

Link to the Boise State student paper.

It's worth a read if you want to feel better about the potential for women's centers and the like to do good work and effect real change.

There are definitely attitudes about women to deconstruct in here if you're so inclined, but on the whole I felt encouraged by reading this.

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Feminist Men
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 07:15:03 PM »
I think our feminist man here is a little naive and a little over-optimistic. But as vee said, it is encouraging. What he describes is my kind of feminism -- inclusive and generous.  Appreciate and enjoy the differences and similarities betwixt and among all kindsa peeps.

I know quite a few men that I would call feminist. They feel the (white) man's burden, don't want it, work to see how it affects them and their behaviour. They step back easily when they're called on something. They really try not to presume.

Ah, I guess I'm just feeling a little bruised. I like men, I really do. The good ones.

Return To TAT