Author Topic: Hair  (Read 20815 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Hair
« on: December 10, 2006, 10:51:56 AM »
My hair (thick and curly, with a definite nap) is aggravating me; thinking of getting a few cm/in lopped off - I had dyed it with pharmacy dye, which while one of the gentler, semi-permanent, types, still made my hair - dry do to its structure - drier and more unmanageble. Over the past year or so I've been scrimping to have it coloured at a hair salon, and indeed the "new" hair has a better texture.

Of late I've simply been tying my hair back or up in a chignon or bun, a sure sign that I'm not happy with how it looks.

I'm looking for a cut about shoulder length, a bit layered to make the curls look nicer, but not a seventies shag (horrors - the female equivalent of the mullet) and above all not a short, conventional, "old" looking style.

(I know very short hair can look edgy, young and cool, but not on everyone. and certainly not on me).

Any ideas?

Obviously, I started out this topic in terms of everyone's hair, not just mine. It is a great topic to moan about, eh?
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Croghan27

• View Profile
Hare problems ...
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2006, 11:13:14 AM »
God decided to remove most of my curley red locks beginning some time ago - is I have taken a preemptive position and chopped the rest off before She gets a chance to complete that job.  :highfive

I often apologize to barbers who's mothers, I surmise, scrimpted and saved to send their fine bemish boys off to barber school. Then I arrive and when asked what masterpiece they can create on top of my pate I tell them:
"Use a number #2 and take it off, Baby."

The other irksome hair problem I have is that I once decided to grow a (very tasteful) goatee. After a month or so some malignant soul announced:
"Hey - you look like Col. Sanders."   :shock:

Zip - Zap,, off it went. Because Harland ended up in Toronto and became a rabbid fan of the Marlies ... is no sop.
 :hockey:
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Hair
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 01:29:24 PM »
Well, I still haven't organized my Louise Brooks bob -- I've been talking about it for so long that I probably would have needed three or four haircuts by now to maintain it if I'd had it. (And that is reminding me of an old Johnny Cash song ...)

My hair is now well past the growing-out stage, though, where you could tell right away that I just needed a haircut. It is now just plain long. The thing I hate about long hair is that it takes so long to dry naturally. I try not to use a blow dryer, and when my hair is short, that's ok because it is drying within an hour. It is very thick on top, though, if fine, so when it is long, it stays wet for half the day now, it seems to me.

Argh. I gotta find a good haircutter.

lagatta

• View Profile
Hair
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2006, 01:37:31 PM »
Yeah, very hard to find a good hair stylist who respects our wishes and doesn't try to torture our hair into something it isn't.  Preferably at a reasonable price, and in the nabe.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

k'in

• View Profile
Hair
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2006, 06:19:02 PM »
The part about not torturing hair into something it isn't is a good one.  A few years ago I decided to cut my hair to about shoulder length (with layers).  It looked good when I left the salon but it was impossible & time consuming to style at home.  About 3 years ago, after a lifetime of endless hair stylist disappointment going back to childhood (could get one good cut, but never a good followup for some strange reason), I have an awesome hairdresser.  She works out of her apartment (only takes referrals), consistently does a good cut, is reasonable compared to salons, and bonus, she has cats to play with.  A good cut is important, and the hairdresser has to understand your type of hair.  If you see someone with your type of hair with a cut you like you could ask who cut their hair and maybe get some leads that way. Hope you find a god one!

kuri

• View Profile
Hair
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2006, 06:27:01 PM »
I've given up on actual haircuts. Now, I only get my hair cut once a year and ask for the most minimal trim possible. And along with that I never use any heat or products. If I can't get it a certain way with elastics or pins, it ain't happening. I like this system - I don't know why people think long hair is high maintenance; since growing out my hair, I only spend $40/year on it, compared to probably a couple hundred when I had to style it, cut it regularly and try to tame it down. Now all I have to do is brush once a day and either put it in quick braid or ponytail. :)

lagatta

• View Profile
Hair
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2006, 06:36:04 PM »
It isn't necessarily high-maintenance, and I'm sure as hell not cutting my hair short: but I do want to get rid of some damaged ends.

I spend a lot more on my hair than you do (or that I did at your age) because I colour it. No, I don't look good with grey hair, and I don't react well to be treated like someone's superannuated mum.
Rosa Luxemburg

vmichel

• View Profile
Hair
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2006, 07:09:49 PM »
How about an A-line cut, about shoulder length? It gives a nice, loose curl without being a shag. And it has a soft shape, unlike the straight cut that often results in Triangle Head for us curly types.

The stylist pulls your hair out in sections perpendicular to your head and cuts down, basically. The result is layers that are not obvious. It works nicely with large, soft curls.

lagatta

• View Profile
Hair
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 07:41:42 PM »
Yes, that is exactly what I want to achieve. I've never heard that expression: wonder how to say that in French or in Spanish. (Stylist is Peruvian, second language French, third Italian).  I imagine an "A" line as something triangular, like those cabins, or a certain type of dress popular in the early 1960s that made everyone look preggers.
Rosa Luxemburg

brebis noire

• View Profile
Hair
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 07:59:28 PM »
Pharmacy hair dye is really harsh compared to the stuff hairdressers use. Also - they will get it on the roots and not through the lengths of the hair which I always managed to do no matter how hard I tried to keep it on the roots. So, it ends up relatively cheaper to go to the stylist for hair colour, because you don't have to spend a lot on corrective treatment or extra haircuts.

And any hair problems will usually be the worst in the winter - it's always either too dry or too humid.

Like kuri (let me guess, you have straight hair  :wink: ) I've found long hair to be the easiest to maintain. Long as in quite a few inches below shoulder length. I've never understood how short cuts can be low-maintenance, because you need to wash or wet your hair every single morning to get it under control. And if you have straight hair, it just goes flat right away.

Last time I had it short was during the post-preg hair loss (probably the origin of the dreaded Mom-cut), but I grew it out as soon as possible.

deBeauxOs

Hair
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 08:00:06 PM »
Does your hair have this kind of curliness and heft to it, lagatta?  If you could find someone to cut it so it has the silhouette you want, to suit your height and the shape of your face and perhaps loosen its curl - would an application of neutral henna, after you've had it professionally coloured, smooth out the curl?  My friend L, born in Domenica has very nappy hair and she uses styling 'mud' to avoid using harsh chemical straighteners.

lagatta

• View Profile
Hair
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 08:17:33 PM »
Oh, I think my hair has even more heft and nappy curl than hers does. Same syndrome though. (Think of Gigi's "whiter" sister). Among the people Apartheid called Cape Coloureds, who could be as dark as Gigi or as pale as me (like la dame de la photo) or any shade in between, hair straightened with a hot comb or hair dryer that frizzed up again in the humidity was said to have "gone home".

brebis, of course the problem is having the money up front for a salon colouring, when one has to hide grey roots upon a job interview etc.

Curly-kinky hair is very porous, so tricky to colour.
Rosa Luxemburg

deBeauxOs

Hair
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 08:24:06 PM »
Quote from: lagatta
... (like la dame de la photo) ....
Nia  Vardalos, of Greek ancestry.  You'd think that in a big city like Montréal, there would be at least one hair products wholesale store open to the public that gives out samples to potential customers to try.

k'in

• View Profile
Hair
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2006, 08:58:35 PM »
Have you tried various conditioners?  A couple of good ones are UAN (a thick cream in a tube, leave on for a while & rinse-excellent detangler) and I'm not sure of the spelling but it is hair oil from India pronounced Amba, goes on either wet or dry hair, detangles and adds shine.

I agree with kuri and brebis noire, long hair is so easy to keep, though I need an end trim every 3-4 months because it grows so fast.  We are subject to such weather extremes here.

lagatta

• View Profile
Hair
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2006, 09:05:23 PM »
Will look into those conditioners.

Yes, I find long hair much easier to care for than short, even travelling, unless one has the youth and aplomb to carry off a VERY short cut.

I had one, at about 14 or 15, modelled on the Jeanne d'Arc cuts popular in mai 1968. Then it got 'frod. Then long an countercultural (several small birds had their babies there).

Cut a bit shorter in the early '80s when we attempted to get straight jobs... And there it goes...
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT