Author Topic: Hair  (Read 20333 times)

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
Hair
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2006, 02:49:41 AM »
This is clearly not a thread in which I belong, other than as a vicarious experience.

I go to the barber, tell him to cut it as short as possible without making me look foolish.  Barber sometimes succeeds, sometimes I look foolish.  Then I ignore it until arborwoman lays down the law (I won't be seen with that absurd hair).  Repeat.

Though I can sympathise at one remove, since arborwoman goes through various dos and cuts, all with some thought and consideration (and angst).  Luckily for her (and me) she has an excellent sense of style.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Nikita

• View Profile
Hair
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2006, 02:02:52 PM »
I had short hair three years ago but let it grow out.  Then this summer I cut my very curly hair short, but quickly remembered why I let it grow out - I really don't like going in for regular cuts.  It's partly that I just can't get into that stylist-stylee gossipy interaction, I'm no good at that kind of small talk.  Plus I always find that while my hair might look really good when I leave the salon and stay that way for about 5 or 6 days, after a week it invariably starts to look matronly.  No thanks!  Even my mum says so.  :?

After my last haircut, a strange bob-type thing that was especially hideous, I decided to grow my hair out.  About 6 weeks ago, I bought myself a really good straightener, and I've been straightening my hair pretty much every day.  I use a "silking" spray (can't remember the brand right now for the life of me) that protects against heat damage and I use Redken shampoo and conditioner so my hais is still in pretty good condition.  It's great, I much prefer my hair sraight as long as it's growing out.  The curls just drive me bonkers.

lagatta

• View Profile
Hair
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2006, 03:14:49 PM »
Now we have to work on skdadl's hair... ;)
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

ReWind.it

• View Profile
Hair
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2007, 10:52:07 AM »
I want my hair cut, real bad. It's already short, but I want it shorter, and maybe a dimensional shag. Altho I can't find any pics of that. I despise hairdressers so neighbour will do it. She is single mom (two kids) is a hair stylist at her auntie's shop in town. Recently she put in a pro sink/all manner of hair needs/whatever, in the back room off of her kitchen, to make extra money at home. She has already cut my hair once and highlighted just a small bit of the crown. That cost me 20 bucks. So does anyone have a link with haircuts I can look at?

Straight, fine hair. Yeah I know, that means buying goop of some sort.
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
Sir Winston Churchill

deBeauxOs

Hair
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2007, 01:08:19 PM »
Isn't "dimensional shag" some fancy term for a mullet cut?  :P  :twisted:

ReWind.it

• View Profile
Hair
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2007, 01:14:22 PM »
WAAH! WAAH!
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
Sir Winston Churchill

deBeauxOs

Hair
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2007, 01:19:18 PM »
:hug:  Just pulling your chain, TD (which you'll aways be for me, regardless of your nickname change).

How about these pix of Judi Dench?  She has fine straight hair and the gamine, spikey look looks grand on her.

ReWind.it

• View Profile
Hair
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2007, 01:23:36 PM »
I'm just gonna ask her to be creative, ha! Besides Mattt has found the answer.
Sir Winston Churchill

deBeauxOs

Hair
« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2007, 01:31:57 PM »
:shock:  ... that gadgetlooks like lamb shears attached to a shop vac.   :panic

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Hair
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2007, 02:20:17 PM »
That would not work on my hair. It would just pull it all out.  :shock:

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Hair
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2008, 11:38:30 PM »
I decided this morning to grow my bangs out. They are already longish for me. Since making that decision several things have happened to me. First I washed my hair twice and I usually only wash my hair every other day. With shorter bangs I part my hair in the middle, now that they are longer I've brushed it all to the side. Then when I was out and about with Oz there was a slight wind which made my hair fly all about. It was kinda sexy. I met a gyu with an 8 week old mush puppy (2 dif coloured eyes) who he was training. He flirted with my eyes. No shit he did. He's training the dog cuz he's selling and moving way up north. I gave him tips to dogsled makers and stuff (he actually didn't seem to know too much for a guy who is doing a career change). Anyway after that tipsy hour I moved on to the serious task of exercising...the dog....ha! On the way home I became infuriated with my bangs, I hated them, in my eyeballs driving me insane. And I haven't even reached the 'weird' stage yet, well hardly since I just decided this. I've dug thru an old drawer full of kids hair thingmabobs and found barrettes, thank gawd. Stuck one in to do the food preps. You know where this is going of course. NOw I can't live without the barrette, am looking for more. Friend who is borrowing van cuz his got smacked and is in the shop came by to drop off something, he saw me in kitchen and went WHOA! WTH? I itold him to STFU before he even said anything other than whoa, wth.

So since then I've put a note in neighbour's door saying I must see her by Wed. for a haircut. I need help.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2008, 06:02:20 AM »
Time for me to do the haircut number too, Toe. I need a run of several days where I don't have to see anyone, though, because I can't get it all done at once. It worked quite well last time -- I should have kept the maintenance up so that I wouldn't have to do the radical cut all over again. My bad.

pookie

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2008, 09:37:14 AM »
That was hilarious Toedancer.

I am so, so glad I got rid of my bangs; unfortunate that I waited until my late 20s.  I had never before realized that I have a fairly small forehead (it's amazing what we don't see about ourselves) and so bangs were all wrong.  Plus, my hair is too wavy for bangs to hang straight the way they should.

steffie

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2008, 10:00:58 AM »
I just added the Hairmixer app to facebook.  Hilarious!  For those of us who sometimes wish we could exist solely online, it's a great fantasy escape from one's drab old hair (and body!)

Ah, if only it was really that simple to change...
Let the beauty of what you love be what you do - Rumi

Nikita

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2008, 10:23:06 AM »
Woohoo the hairmixer thing could be fun.  I played around with it a little, tried to give myself a Catherine Zeta-Jones 'do (ha, who am I kidding?).  

I'm at a horrible crossroads.  About two&half months ago I got my hair cut at a nice little salon, and the stylist did a great job, lots of layers with some longish side-angly bangs.  She then nearly gave me a heart attack when she took the thinning shears and started snipping all over the place.  Hair was literally flying -- when I calmed down it was entertaining.  I didn't know I had so much!  It felt great when it was gone.  

Now comes the reckoning.  The hair has grown about and inch&half, lengthwise, but also bulked out a lot around my face.  Doesn't look weird, but it feels horrible.  I can't get my fingers through when it's wet!  It dries even weirder: the ends go super-quick, but the new bulk takes FOREVER.  And it's naturally curly, with all the flyways and temple-horns.  Gah.  Styling is a nightmare.

Oy.  The obvious solution is to go back and get it cut again, right?  If it were only that simple.  I'm broke and intimidated by stylish-stylists, as I am not very stylish m'self.  *sigh*  Maybe next week...

Return To TAT