Author Topic: Glurge I have known  (Read 31856 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Glurge I have known
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2007, 01:18:30 PM »
:lol:
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

anne cameron

• View Profile
Glurge I have known
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2007, 03:01:46 PM »
As I sit here tonight the juke box playing
That tune about the wild side of life
As I listen to the words you are saying
It brings mem'ries when I was a trusting wife

It wasn't God who made honky tonk angels
Like you said in the words of your song
Too many times married men think they're still single
That has caused many a good girl to go wrong

It's a shame that all the blame is on us women
It's not true that only you men feel the same
From the start most every heart that's every broken
Broke because there always was a man to blame...

Ah, SING'ER SISTER KITTY!

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
Glurge I have known
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2007, 11:53:08 AM »
This is what I received this morning:

When I say I am a Christian — by Maya Angelou

When I say ... "I am a Christian"
I'm not shouting "I'm clean livin'."
I'm whispering "I was lost,
Now I'm found and forgiven."

I don't speak of this with pride.
I'm confessing that I stumble
and need Christ to be my guide.

I'm not trying to be strong.
I'm professing that I'm weak
And need His strength to carry on.

I'm not bragging of success.
I'm admitting I have failed
And need God to clean my mess.

I'm not claiming to be perfect,
My flaws are far too visible
But, God believes I am worth it.

I still feel the sting of pain.
I have my share of heartaches
So I call upon His name.

I'm not holier than thou,
I'm just a simple sinner
Who received God's good grace, somehow

I thought, this doesn't sound like the work of this great writer. So I checked with Snopes:

...In this case, we not only know that Maya Angelou did not write the piece in question ("I Am a Christian"); we know exactly who did write it.

"When I Say, 'I Am a Christian'" (the correct, full title) was penned in 1988 by Carol Wimmer, was first published in the Assemblies of God periodical Hi-Call Gospel Magazine, and has subsequently been anthologized in several books (including Chicken Soup for the Christian Family Soul.) Unfortunately, over the years the work has been reprinted on the Internet with either missing or incorrect attributions (most often being ascribed to "author unknown" or the aforementioned Maya Angelou), and with verses that have been rearranged or altered by others.

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/christian.asp

Anyway, it annoys me that this meaningless "feel good" pap is being passed around under her name -- as if these Christian sentiments have been given the stamp of approval by being authored by a recognized artist. It's dishonest and a discredit to Maya Angelou.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

brebis noire

• View Profile
Glurge I have known
« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2008, 12:09:35 PM »
I'm wondering what to do about people who send me glurge. I'm not talking about family, relatives, or even good friends. I'm talking about acquaintances, or even people who imagine they are my friends because I greet them nicely when we meet. People who send me religious glurge. With good intentions, undoubtedly.  :roll:

So, do I just delete them - no muss, no fuss? Or do I send back a firm but polite letter detailing my dislike for glurge, religious glurge in particular, and request that they remove me from their list of recipients in the future? Do I even want to take the time to do that?

And what is the French word for glurge? dBo? lagatta? anyone else?

Croghan27

• View Profile
Glurge I have known
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2008, 12:42:52 PM »
Quote from: brebis noire
I'm wondering what to do about people who send me glurge. I'm not talking about family, relatives, or even good friends. I'm talking about acquaintances, or even people who imagine they are my friends because I greet them nicely when we meet. People who send me religious glurge. With good intentions, undoubtedly.  :roll:

So, do I just delete them - no muss, no fuss? Or do I send back a firm but polite letter detailing my dislike for glurge, religious glurge in particular, and request that they remove me from their list of recipients in the future? Do I even want to take the time to do that?

And what is the French word for glurge? dBo? lagatta? anyone else?

brebis - my receiving of this 'stuff' on line has decreased lately, for some reason. I used to get two kind of emails full of 'glurge'. One type was mostly a 'look in the faces of babies  :rollbaby   and in the wise words of the old and you will know there is a greater something than us' -   - which is easy enough to ignore and sometimes some pretty impressive pictures come along with this. I just either stash these in that person's mailbox, (if I like the pictures) or delete them.

The next type pisses me off  :rant:  The text is much like the above - then it ends saying if I do not forward this on to 10 different people my dick will fall off. (or something equally horrid)  

These I do return with the note that my real friends do not threaten me. These are usually sent on by someone who has taken the 'threat' seriously, to various extents - and I do not think they understand, for the most part, what they are doing/saying.

So, I would say, the mild stuff from people you do care about - just delete, as with the institutional stuff .. it is bought and paid for spam.

As for the offensive threats - inform the person that has sent them - if they continue, does not Yahoo or hotmail or where ever they come from have some spam/threat protections?
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

anne cameron

• View Profile
Glurge I have known
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2008, 02:10:49 PM »
Yesterday I thought I had probably seriously offended a friend who forwarded me one of these "send this to ten people or..." thing which was basically an absolute hate bomb aimed at immigrants.  the reason for the hate was "somebody" had learned there is a version of Oh Canada translated into Hindi and ohmigawd some are actually singing it.  Well, dontcha know Oh canada was written in English and should be sung in English, and the poles never presumed they could translate it into Polish and sing it and the Ukrainians never..nor the Germans, the Dutch, the...list of "white" immigrants...and furthermore why do we have to adapt to their ways, this is our country, if they want to join the army they have to wear the army uniform not their turbans and ... you know the shite, I'm sure.  It just went on and on and on

and I blew up completely.  Sent the goddam thing back with a real rant attached.

Last week it was hate shite aimed specifically at Muslims.  Jeebus, they're such a threat they're probably trying to organize the work party to take the Rocky Mountains apart and expand the flatlands!

When I get that Xian stuff I send it back with "I am not a Christian person, please do not offend me with this shit.".  That works.  Very well.

What I can't send back are all these pieces of tripe offering to enlarge the size of my penis.  More of them every day.  Oh, and land for sale in places I don't even want to visit.  I have a spam blocker and they still get past it.

Gigi

• View Profile
Re: Glurge I have known
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2008, 01:03:10 AM »
I heard a gorgeous version sung in Cree.

I'd love the response to that.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2008, 10:37:52 AM »
Hey, does anyone know whether it's true that vodka is an all-round disinfectant / cleanser?

I just got a piece of glurge from my usual source (nice cousin, drives me bats) with all kinds of interesting facts about vodka. I especially want to try it on the mould and mildew in the shower stall. Good for washing feet. Good astringent on the face. And it goes on and on.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2008, 10:45:55 AM »
some have been busted on mythbusters, like killing wasps

some like jellyfish sting therapy are true

and some are true but can also be achieved by using rubbing alcohol. Cheaper and then you can drink the volka.  :mrgreen:
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Return To TAT