Author Topic: Indoor plants  (Read 24675 times)

vmichel

• View Profile
Indoor plants
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2006, 01:40:53 PM »
I swear by cactus soil. I have a cactus that is descended from one my great-grandmother had. Clippings from it pass down the family line to all the girls, so we all have descendents. My grandma's is the size of a bathtub. I always thought that was a cool family tradition. Anyhow, one day my husband brought home cactus soil to try and since then it's quadrupled in size. I credit the soil for the growth.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Indoor plants
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2006, 02:48:46 PM »
Quote from: vmichel
I swear by cactus soil. I have a cactus that is descended from one my great-grandmother had. Clippings from it pass down the family line to all the girls, so we all have descendents. My grandma's is the size of a bathtub. I always thought that was a cool family tradition. Anyhow, one day my husband brought home cactus soil to try and since then it's quadrupled in size. I credit the soil for the growth.

Now I'm green with envy. If I pm you my mailing address, would you send a clipping? I'll pay the cost of mailing. I'm always looking for clippings from great plants - especially those with the heritage you describe.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Indoor plants
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2006, 03:01:37 PM »

Desert cactus - photo taken in New Mexico a few years ago. Larger photo: http://i5.tinypic.com/1262zxg.jpg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Indoor plants
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2006, 03:07:40 PM »

Desert plants, including cacti, on a residential property in Phoenix, Arizona. The plants were there befor e the house was built. In some places in New Mexico and Arizona, cacti are protected by law and can not be uprooted. Larger photo: http://i5.tinypic.com/1262rm1.jpg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Indoor plants
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2006, 03:11:38 PM »
The photo I posted a few minutes ago was too small to see clearly; if you click on this link:  http://i6.tinypic.com/125p37c.jpg  you will see a photo of me standing front of  St. Bede's Anglican Church, Mesa, Arizona, with a   beautiful cactus garden in lower right of photo.

deBeauxOs

Indoor plants
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2006, 06:18:31 PM »
Nikita
... It was one of those little guys with the stocky stem and red prickly ball on top.
That sounds like a grafted cactus.  It may not have been your fault, those are novelty items and rarely survive past their first blooms.

Nikita

• View Profile
Indoor plants
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2006, 06:41:28 PM »
Quote from: deBeauxOs
That sounds like a grafted cactus.  It may not have been your fault, those are novelty items and rarely survive past their first blooms.

Whew!  This gives me hope that I'm not horrible with plants.  I'm reluctant to buy cactus soil, because I only really want one small cactus plant, and it seems a waste to buy a whole bag for one little plant.  Or do people re-pot plants regularly?  I've never even thought of that.

A friend of mine has a gerber plant that likes to grow these mutated flowers, with the two blossoms that are sort of mashed together into one knobby blossom.  I like the plant's non-conformist ways.   :)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Indoor plants
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2006, 06:51:32 PM »
Quote from: Baby Boomer

Desert plants, including cacti, on a residential property in Phoenix, Arizona. The plants were there befor e the house was built. In some places in New Mexico and Arizona, cacti are protected by law and can not be uprooted. Larger photo: http://i5.tinypic.com/1262rm1.jpg

I love the cacti in that photo!
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

deBeauxOs

Indoor plants
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2006, 06:51:38 PM »
Why not try a christmas cactus.  They grow slowly, are forgiving as long as you don't water too much - you could get one of those stick things that tell you when they need water - and they will bloom for you in November or December.  And they don't have prickles.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Indoor plants
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2006, 07:10:55 PM »
I've seen Christmas Cactus, although never for sale. They're gorgeous. I'll see if the nursery in Sept-Iles can order one for me.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Indoor plants
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2006, 06:41:24 AM »
When I was a kid in the forties and fifties, a fixture of almost every grandma's or auntie's parlour was an enormous Boston fern, usually sitting in basket-top stands purpose-built for displaying ferns.

I remember them as a curiosity, a sort of hangover from Victorian/Edwardian times, in the homes of middle-class ladies who were still aping Victorian decor. When I was looking for a photo, I came across this site, an interesting little study of the Victorian craze for ferns. (NB: That site loaded verrrry slowly for me, but it's worth it.)

I once tried to keep a Boston fern but it wasted away on me pretty quickly. They need a LOT of humidity to thrive. They are beautiful, though. Perhaps I'll try one again. Perhaps I am going through a throwback phase.    :wink:

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Indoor plants
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2006, 07:59:02 AM »
I love George Orwell. I've wondered since I read 'Keep the Aspidistra Flying', what the heck an aspisdistra looks like. Of course, one would keep one's aspisidistra on an antimacassar. Talk about throw-backs.

The basic house plant when I was a kid was philodendrons. Indestructible.

Edited to add: Jeeez, loueeez. Spelled aspidistra three different ways. More coffee. . .

Return To TAT