Author Topic: Seeds of Deception/News Articles/Monsanto  (Read 13855 times)

Toedancer

• View Profile
Seeds of Deception/News Articles/Monsanto
« on: December 20, 2006, 12:11:06 PM »
Has anybody read Seeds of Deception? Here is a ten page summary.

It goes a long way in explaining all the new allergies for people who had no allergies. Of course it is about Monsanto.

Chapter 3: Spilled Milk

“The scientists’ testimony before a Senate committee was like a scene from the conspiratorial television show The X-Files.” [10] This was how Canada’s leading paper described the story of six Canadian government scientists who tried to stand up to pressure to approve Monsanto’s genetically engineered bovine growth hormone (rbGH) which they believed was unsafe. The scientists were threatened by senior government officials, files were stolen from their locked file cabinets, Monsanto allegedly offered them a bribe of $1-2 million, and one senior official suddenly quit and disappeared, avoiding an appearance before a Parliamentary Committee. [11] What was happening to the Canadian scientists in 1998 amounted to “re-runs” of what U.S. government scientists faced in the 1980s. When FDA scientists tried to blow the whistle on what was happening, they were stripped of responsibilities or fired. The FDA eventually approved rbGH on the basis of a research summary submitted by Monsanto that had distorted and deleted data about serious health effects, including cancer.

http://www.wanttoknow.info/deception10pg#_ednref39

And this link from want to know lists all the most recent news articles by the MSM.

http://www.wanttoknow.info/geneticallym ... wsarticles
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

deBeauxOs

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 09:50:25 PM »
Here are some links to articles that discuss allergies and GMO crops.  This topic interests me, particularly since I discovered that every time I have unknowingly consumed non-organic canola oil in a restaurant, I've suffered from severe migraine and gastric problems - something that never occurs as I normally eat whole or organic foods that I prepare for myself.

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 09:54:54 PM »
I have to say that I was shocked to discover how much of our canola crop is GMO. I only cottoned on when the EU announced that it would not appeal the WTO ruling on their banning GMO canola. So what is the actual percentage? And is it such that once these GMO seeds enter the market, it's hard for farmers to compete with non-GMO seeds?
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 09:55:02 PM »
Fascinating, now the sci-fi guys are saying gastro is intimately linked with being overweight/obesity. What goes in the gut I mean. I shall be wanting more proof of course.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 10:40:11 AM »
I know we had a more recent thread on Terminator seeds, but I can't find it. If anyone can, maybe these threads could be married?

Anyway, in answer to a message from me, my MP  :roll:  has just sent me the following reply:

Dear Ms. [skdadl]:

Thank you for your correspondence to my office regarding Terminator
Seeds.
Please rest assured that your comments will be given careful and
appropriate consideration.

Thanks again for contacting me.

Hon. Carolyn Bennett, M.P. (St. Paul's)

Why do I get the feeling I've just been curtly dismissed?

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 10:57:10 AM »
merge hack seems to be missing but the other thread is here

http://www.breadnroses.ca/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20732
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 11:23:45 PM »
Monsanto Cotton Seeds Creates Epidemic Suicide amongst Farmers in India and now Order 81 will be used in Iraq

Among the many connections between that company and the current White House: Former Agriculture Secretary Ann Veneman served on the board of directors of Calgene, a Monsanto subsidiary; one-time Secretary of Defense Don Rumsfeld had an eight-year stint as president of Searle, another Monsanto subsidiary; Clarence Thomas worked as an attorney in Monsanto's pesticide and agriculture division before coming to the Supreme Court as a George H.W. Bush appointee.

Those connections, as much as anything else, might help to explain the impetus behind and timing of Order 81.

Forced and Mandatory in Iraq? I am completely sickened and a Pox on all of their Houses.

FDA in bed with Monsanto

ETA - we seem to have 2 threads re: terminator seeds, perhaps a merge?

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 01:02:11 AM »
fucking bastards :rant:  :evil:  :rant2:

I have to say that I am very thankful for Klein's analysis, what I've read so far, anyway.  It's helped me to make sense of this grab for more markets for the corporatists, not that it is sensical, at all, but that it's about corporate greed.
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

sparqui

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2007, 01:37:41 AM »
I'm depressed but not surprised that their forcing Iraq to use GMOs. The WB has already done that in most parts of Africa. F*cking bastards.

Searle, the pharmaceutical company, is a subsidiary of Monsanto. Well that's news to me and it certainly makes me want to take a look through my medicine cabinet.

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Seeds of Deception/News Articles/Monsanto
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 11:18:04 PM »
We have a lot of threads about Terminator seeds, Monsanto, (the pinkie thread even), anyway one was started and I went there, but it drifted off into all sorts of things. So posting here. Canadians denied the right to have Genetically Engineered Labeling on our foods, Bill C157 and guess who didn't bother to show up? Ignatieff, Hall-Findlay, Easter, Martin, with Health Critic Carolyn Bennett Missing In Action. That's all I've made out from the list so far, I'm dog tired. I think an awful lot of Liberals voted it down with the Cons. Take a look.

GreenPeace Canada

sparqui

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 12:29:22 PM »
Pretty damn depressing. It wasn't even a confidence bill!!!

Monsanto has had powerful lobbyists working on the Hill for more than a decade. They are in as tight with the Liberals as the Conservatives. Bottom line is that LOTS of consumers would reject products that carried any GMOs and the agri-food industry doesn't want to give us that choice.

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 01:06:56 PM »
Monsanto's been nasty from the get-go!  When Rachel Carson was doing her work, when she wrote Silent Spring, pubbed in 1962, they attacked her on all fronts!
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 01:14:29 PM »
There's more, now they want the patent on climate-ready altered crops! And yeesh, there is some competition for those patents! No choice now, buy organic only. What else can we do when our own government has no will for the health of its people?

WashPost

deBeauxOs

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 12:52:42 AM »
From the Canadian Biotechnology Action Network:
Canadian company Lantic/Rogers Sugar needs to reject Monsanto’s genetically modified (GM) sugar beet and stay GM-Free. Lantic Inc. is the only Canadian sugar company that processes sugar beet and it is the last GM-Free sugar beet processing company in North America. It is deciding now if it will accept GM sugar beets for the first time.

Go to the website to check out their clever Valentine sweets-themed campaign.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 05:47:31 AM »
A friend of mine just came back from Cuba. While this is not directly about modified seeds and food sources, it is about an illness (illnesses) causes by human means. Here is a portion of her letter where she describes what happened.
I was extremely ill in Cuba.  They sprayed with an insecticide that did a real number on my lungs and other asthma sufferers.  Some were rushed to hospital.

snip

I developed a very bad infection in my airways, high fever ....I had to take an antibiotic that made me vomit and ....for days.

snip

My problems all stemmed from the spray.  They would not give me the name of the product so that I could check into it.  They only said it was safe for humans and it was made with petroleum products super heated and sprayed out in a mist.  That doesn't sound very lung friendly to me.  Those who had asthma were walking around with their puffers all of the time and I met a lot who had no history of asthma that complained of needing antihistimines because of allergic reactions to something in the air.

The snipped bits are mostly about the weather.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Return To TAT