Author Topic: Brag thread  (Read 41090 times)

Brag thread
« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2007, 12:25:59 PM »
A robot?

ETA: oops - wrong thread! (deleted)

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
Brag thread
« Reply #106 on: November 02, 2007, 12:31:40 PM »
Yes, but why build an AI when you can just use a cloned human brain?

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
Brag thread
« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2007, 01:00:40 PM »
Quote from: GDKitty
Wow!  It's true--G really looks like him, especially with the newsdesk and mic ;)  

:rotfl:
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

brebis noire

• View Profile
Brag thread
« Reply #108 on: November 29, 2007, 01:57:58 PM »
Yesterday was report card and talk with the teacher night, so I met with the kindergarten and fourth grade teachers. My two byos are verrrry different personality-wise, the older one is very serious and the little one's ambition appears to be class clown. The kindergarten teacher assured me that even though he likes to make his friends laugh, he's very cooperative when she asks him to focus. He's only one of two boys in the entire class; he once told me he wants to marry all the girls...

My older kid has always had me more worried, though. Especially this fall - he spent all of September and October with tummyaches, then there was the trip to emergency with severe constipation, followed by exactly two days of feeling good before he got a seesaw dropped on his foot - back to emergency - luckily, no fracture, but he couldn't walk for several days. Then that finally healed after the bruise went through its colour cycle - and he promptly caught the severe grippe that was going around; most of his class was sick with that too. Then there was the mysterious pain in the other foot that lasted for a few days...Gah. It was enough to make his natural melancholy into something worse.

But the teacher assured me that he's really doing fine in spite of all this. He has great marks in math and French and he particularly loves social studies (I think the course is called "univers social"). A few weeks ago they were studying evolution, the survival and extinction of various species and human origins. Initially J had said "but what about Adam and Eve?" (his dad pushes that line too hard) and the teacher was afraid he was going to have problems like he'd had in the past with JW kids who would blurt out in class that "this isn't true!" "we're not going to learn about this!" etc.. But apparently J found it all to be very interesting and asked all kinds of wonderful questions. The teacher, who is Catholic I believe, had a nice way of setting the Adam and Eve story into an evolutionary context of the development of human self-consciousness.

It was a great moment for public schooling, for me.

Back at home, the kids and I had a great time reading and talking about all that they've learned so far this year.  :yay:

chester

• View Profile
Brag thread
« Reply #109 on: November 29, 2007, 02:37:04 PM »
Looks like its shaping up nicely, Brebis Noire!

my youngest started high school this year.  her last report card was very good!  this is good news because, unlike her older sister, H was always unconcerned about school work and very focused on her buddies.  I swear to gord (downie  :D ), that H "threw" grades 4 and 5 'cause she thought she would be asked to go to the advanced program like her sister!  anyway, she gradually started to pick it up in grades 6-8 and now she is exhibiting very good study habits and her grades are pretty much all I can ask for.  They aren't at the level her sister's were but L is an academic freak who worked(s) so hard she gets sick!  I'm claiming victory for the "they will work it out" school of parenting.

Croghan27

• View Profile
Brag thread
« Reply #110 on: November 29, 2007, 03:27:09 PM »
I got an email the other day from someone I know in Florida. we had been emailing back and forth since the days of pre-history about her children. (Prehistory being when I was on AOL.  :rant: )

Her son, Noah, is in a private school in Florida. I asked: "Why go private?"

It is on my computer at work and I shall forward it on to here later - the answer about the Florida Public School system should be written like this.

One interesting facit is that the students in the state consistantly would rated at the bottom of any nation testing programs. Jeb Bush (George's bro) was concerned this, so he dropped out of any National Testing programs and set up his own.

All the students in Florida now fall within the mid-percentiles in the testing programs.  :D
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
Brag thread
« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2007, 11:09:20 PM »
So I brought home some eggnog yesterday, thinking the boy (a milk aficionado) would love it.  I poured him a little (and me a lot).

He looks at it suspiciously.  

"What is it?"

"It's eggnog, yummy."

He takes a small sip.  "What is it?" He asks again.

And then I make an innocent error.  Knowing he likes Santa...

"Eggnog is special milk for Christmas.  It's Santa Milk!"

He gives a look of disgust and puts the cup down.  "I like milk from cows."
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
Brag thread
« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2007, 11:41:38 PM »
:rotfl:

suzette

• View Profile
Brag thread
« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2007, 07:15:04 AM »

Not exactly a studio portrait, but.... well, it's how they look to me most of the time.  Mango on this occasion, I believe.

They're very busy, so so am I.  Edie has a couple of choppers, Oscar is threatening to crawl any day now.  They both get about the place pretty efficiently, but backwards.  They have long conversations that adults aren't privy to.  Not when they think we're looking, anyway.  Apparently it's quite common for twins not to speak to others until later than single babies, because they develop their own lingo.

Damn.  I had planned to have a decent brag but my brain's packed it in for the day.  Maybe tomorrow. :)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Brag thread
« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2007, 07:16:29 AM »
arborman:  :rotfl:

Och, Suzette, they are precious. If I guess that Edie's on the right ... am I right?

suzette

• View Profile
Brag thread
« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2007, 07:20:35 AM »
No, the pretty eyelashes belong to Mr Baby.  Ms Baby's on the left.

ETA: arborman, that's a classic story.  Arborboy sounds like quite the card. :D

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
Brag thread
« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2007, 11:49:50 AM »
"Santa's milk"  :lol:

I LOVE that photo suzette. Gorgeous in their natural state :-)
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Brag thread
« Reply #117 on: December 04, 2007, 09:06:04 PM »
2 (3 - you, me n' eph) can play at that game, BEHOLD:

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Brag thread
« Reply #118 on: December 04, 2007, 09:12:10 PM »
What a gorgeous face, thwap 'n' eph! What a charmer.

Timebandit

• View Profile
Brag thread
« Reply #119 on: December 04, 2007, 09:13:39 PM »
They're all gorgeous!
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

Return To TAT