Author Topic: Brag thread  (Read 41071 times)

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
Brag thread
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2007, 11:18:02 PM »
James is terribly cute.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

justme

• View Profile
Brag thread
« Reply #121 on: December 05, 2007, 06:35:53 AM »
wow, from babes to little-people in such a short time! What beautiful kids.

Caissa

• View Profile
Brag thread
« Reply #122 on: December 05, 2007, 08:11:53 AM »
Before you know it they will be starting school. The time flies. It seems just like yesterday we had multiple pregancies on the Board.

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
Re: Brag thread
« Reply #123 on: March 07, 2008, 11:01:13 PM »
So, in the climate of shrinking civil liberties, war, poverty and the rest, good old Global News has picked up on a pressing issue of the day:

My kid is so cool he doesn't need to wear shades.

Click on the kid with shades and watch the video.  Mine's the kid in the purple jacket who doesn't wear sunglasses.  8)
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Catchfire

• View Profile
    • http://blindmanwithapistol.wordpress.com
« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2008, 10:39:51 AM »
arborboy is a massively cute kid!  With a heckuva tongue to boot!

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #125 on: March 08, 2008, 10:49:52 AM »
Priceless, arborman! Oh, they are so dear, all of them. Look at the way they gather around and buck each other up. That was lovely.  :hug:

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #126 on: March 08, 2008, 11:18:04 AM »
Can't see it.  Canwest must not like Linux.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #127 on: March 08, 2008, 12:18:39 PM »
ah what a sweetheart  :D
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

suzette

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2008, 07:21:49 PM »
Skdadl asked in the birthday thread what tricks the now-one-year-old twins are up to, so I thought I'd bring the bragging over to the appropriate thread.

So, the baby geniuses are really developing into little people.  That's the thing: initially they really don't seem like people as such.  They're nothing more than eating, squealing shitting machines.  But now...!  They're not quite walking, but get around on their feet holding onto the furniture really effectively.  And they climb, too.  Oscar has learned how to scale the sofa, to my dismay, since it makes up part of the barricading we've built around the place.  Once he's over the sofa he's got free range of the house.  :?  So we need to rethink that.  

They're drinking unaided -- a new trick in the past week or so -- and can feed themselves finger food but not anything from a spoon.  Not that they don't enjoy trying.  What they lack in execution they make up in enthusiasm!  

It's very interesting watching two of them developing side-by-side.  Just seeing the differences, and there's plenty of them.  Oscar likes to sit and read by himself (yay!) and to turn the pages of books when I'm reading them.  Edie is more into investigating things.  She is quite delicate in picking up tiny things, like wee feathers or little threads, and scrutinising them.  She spends time thinking about how to get at something that's out of her reach and then going about getting it.  Books we've put up high, for example, or the TV remote.  She's too clever by half. Oscar's a bit more of a battering ram!  And he always wants what Edie's got.  They spend ages sitting there with him pinching what she has, then she picks up something else and so he takes that.  Edie then grabs what she had in the first place (which is then snatched again).  

And they have a sense of humour, which I find interesting.  It's a curious thing to develop so early, don't you think?  With the aforementioned snatching routine, Edie sometimes sees him coming so she drops what she was playing with and waves something else in Oscar's face.  He grabs it, so she can get on with what she was playing with in the first place.  Or she'll wave something just out of his reach and snatch it away as he makes a lunge for it, and then laugh at him.  Or wave it then run away with it.   :lol:  It's pretty funny to see.  And sometimes when they're in their high chairs they'll start some "in" joke; one will do something seemingly minor and they'll both crack up laughing, over and over. They were doing it one day and I tried to take part, and they both turned and gave me one of those "jeez, Mum, you're so embarrassing" looks, then turned back to each other and carried on.  Good grief!

Anyway, that's a bit of a rundown.  They're heaps of fun, happy, healthy and progressing well.  And so are we as parents, I suppose. I've developed a range of skills in the past year I never would have expected.  We're very lucky to have had such a smooth run so far.

Due to boring computer issues I can't post a photo just yet, but I will as soon as I get time to sort the recalcitrant machine out.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2008, 07:32:35 PM »
:mrgreen: That lovely and long (yay!) description flashed me back to those days of being a new mom.  How engaging and busy Edie and Oscar are!  It's interesting how you've observed the emergence of their budding humour and complicité ... I'm not sure what the word is, in English.  It means kinship, in the sense of being on the same wave length, of cluing into one another.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 27, 2008, 07:35:57 PM »
Oh Suzette they sound absolutely amazing, I could probably watch them foreva and never grow bored. You describe ev. so well, thanks. Can't wait til you post some new pics.
Tissues are even awesome to them at that age! No really, I would just throw a few in the backseat and she'd be busy busy busy. ha!

BTW, kid is flying to Cains, then onto a sailing ship for some scuba diving on the reef!
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #131 on: April 28, 2008, 07:11:59 AM »
That sounds like so much fun, Suzette, and it sounds interesting, too. Observing the little minds and characters folding open day by day -- I would find that fascinating (and then of course there's the major cuteness factor). Gosh: it sounds as though you are going to have little co-conspirators giggling at you over their private jokes for, well, a while. Too funny. There's a reason that (sometimes mad) social scientists have always liked to study twins -- they are fascinating to study in so many ways. But don't let the mad social scientists near them!   :wink:

Can't wait for the new pics. Hi to Edie and Oscar and Lofty.

suzette

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 28, 2008, 07:53:56 AM »
You're right Toe, the most mundane objects are the most fun at that age.  With a range of toys on hand they often prefer magazines, toilet rolls, a length of plastic hose, or egg cartons.  We were discussing doing some birthday shopping for them at the hardware store, and weren't joking!  

deB, the complicité: I can't think of an English word for what you're describing either, but I understand what you mean. And yes, it's wonderful to see.  And slightly alarming. I can see we're going to have our work cut out for us over the years. I really do hope that we're seeing the beginning of a close and loving relationship.  Recently Lofty met an adult twin in the course of his work.  She said that she and her brother have very little to do with each other, and then it's only through family obligation.  It made me sad to hear it.  I'd always thought it would be great to have a sibling the same age, but I suppose dreaming means that you only consider the good bits.  

As you say, skdadl, it is fascinating to see them unfold.  You know, I'd long thought that the ultimate purgatory -- and even failure -- would be to be "stuck at home" with kids.  I think that idea contributed to my hitting the skids when they were first born. But now that I'm here doing it -- by choice, mind you, which is all the difference -- I actually feel quite privileged. Not all of the time, to be sure, but overall I really do.  A variety of people I know have their kids in daycare quite early so that they can get back to work and I'd just hate to have to do that.  I respect their choices, but it would be awful to need to.  Once again, there being a choice is the key, isn't it? I'm fortunate that Lofty earns enough (and our lifestyle is modest enough) that I can be here with them.  I'd hate to miss a second of it, just as Lofty hates having to go out most days.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2008, 10:55:47 AM »
Quote from: suzette
... Recently Lofty met an adult twin in the course of his work.  She said that she and her brother have very little to do with each other, and then it's only through family obligation.  It made me sad to hear it.  I'd always thought it would be great to have a sibling the same age, but I suppose dreaming means that you only consider the good bits. ...
Suzette, there may be a history of hurt and anger behind this female twin's relationship with her brother.  Imagine a family environment where he (a boy!) was singled out for support and encouragement and she was left to fend for herself.  Which is certainly not how you and Lofty are nurturing and raising Edie and Oscar.  There's no doubt there will be moments when they will be out of sorts, if not out of synch with each other because of peer pressure and the different choices they will make.  Even if they were identical twins of the same gender, these issues would come up.

But having caring, accepting, involved parents from the start, will provide them with a solid core of self-love, strength and resilience.

RP.

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 28, 2008, 01:55:44 PM »
Quote from: suzette
deB, the complicité: I can't think of an English word for what you're describing either, but I understand what you mean. And yes, it's wonderful to see.  

I understand what deB is saying about that, in the French sense, but also in the English sense, because I think of our twins as being one another's accomplices (one causes a distraction so the other can go get into the real trouble)  :mrgreen:

Return To TAT