Author Topic: Columnist Watch  (Read 47709 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Columnist Watch
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2007, 06:59:14 AM »
That is indeed some rant. I'll bet Groen was rubbing his hands together all the way through the movie in anticipation of all the rotten things he'd get to say about it.  :D

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
Columnist Watch
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2007, 04:11:32 PM »
I found this review of 300 quite interesting:

...300 is a testosterone fueled war fever-dream that offers a non-stop and ferocious display of disembowelments, spraying blood, and beheadings - and some film critics have unfortunately referred to this horrific violence as choreography or stylization. The unrelenting carnage in 300 is never connected to a sense of moral burden or remorse - it is simply what "real men" do. Compared to Flags of Our Fathers, Clint Eastwood’s insightful rumination on the genuine sacrifices and brutalities of war, 300 is an undisguised war enthusiast’s wet dream. When the film’s Spartan King Leonidas leads his army into battle yelling, "For Freedom!", those words are meant to have a propagandistic effect upon its audience. Clearly, 300 is a brazen allegory for the war the U.S. is fighting in Iraq and preparing to fight in Iran...

...Following George W. Bush’s 2007 State of the Union address, National Public Radio broadcast, Writers and Artists Describe the State of the Union, a show where several guests had the opportunity to offer their assessments of national affairs - Frank Miller was one of those voices. Before insisting that Iraq had actually declared war on the U.S. - an assertion not even made by President Bush - Miller launched a fanatical tirade against a nameless, faceless, "other" he would like to see vanquished by American military force:

"For some reason, nobody seems to be talking about who we’re up against, and the sixth century barbarism that they actually represent. These people saw people’s heads off. They enslave women, they genitally mutilate their daughters, they do not behave by any cultural norms that are sensible to us. I’m speaking into a microphone that never could have been a product of their culture, and I’m living in a city where three thousand of my neighbors were killed by thieves of airplanes they never could have built."

"They" are our implacable enemies, but truth, justice and the American way will free the world of "these people." Now the real meaning behind the jingoistic tagline for 300 comes into sharp focus - Prepare for glory!

posted by Mark Vallen at 12:27 PM  

http://www.art-for-a-change.com/blog/
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Croghan27

• View Profile
Columnist Watch
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 05:30:06 PM »
Yo 'lance:
How did I miss your reference to one of my favourite people of all time:
Afterward, the late lamented Allan Maitland came on, and in his inimitable style delivered himself, so drily I thought the radio would turn to dust, of the single sentence:

"For The Record: An example of Camille Paglia's thought processes at work."

If you google Maitland you can see that what he thought, he said ... and often what he said he did - much to the dismay of the CBC establishment. Who else could do an eclectic circus?
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Holly Stick

• View Profile
Columnist Watch
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 01:28:12 AM »
Aw Croghan, I'm afraid you're mixing up two CBC guys, who are both late lamented.

Allan Maitland was on As It Happens, and sometimes he would read stories on the radio, like O. Henry's "The Gift of the Magi" at Christmas time.  

Allan McFee hosted Eclectic Circus and would say "Hello out there in vacuum land" and call himself "Your delightful host, me, Allan McFee."

He looks like a grump in the photo, but he didn't sound like one to me.
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Croghan27

• View Profile
Columnist Watch
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007, 03:43:16 AM »
Quote from: Holly Stick
Aw Croghan, I'm afraid you're mixing up two CBC guys, who are both late lamented.

Allan Maitland was on As It Happens, and sometimes he would read stories on the radio, like O. Henry's "The Gift of the Magi" at Christmas time.  

Allan McFee hosted Eclectic Circus and would say "Hello out there in vacuum land" and call himself "Your delightful host, me, Allan McFee."

He looks like a grump in the photo, but he didn't sound like one to me.

:oops:  :oops:  :oops:  That's twice in a week I blew something like that - once confusing Jack Hawkings and James Mason, and now Allan Maitland with Allen McFee.

The 'once fine mind' have beem 'dulled and blunted' by 'too many years of drugs and alcohol'. Let this be a lesson to you, young lady!

(I actually have that website available in my list of favourites.)
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Croghan27

• View Profile
Columnist Watch
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2007, 12:01:09 PM »
As usual I am dazzled again by the media - this time the august WaPo.

Who decides what is news here?

Most Americans oppose fully funding President Bush's $190 billion request for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and a sizable majority support an expansion of a children's health insurance bill he has promised to veto, putting Bush and many congressional Republicans on the wrong side of public opinion on upcoming foreign and domestic policy battles.

well - DUH - I do not even live in the US and I know that! GEEZE. Is it not real until reported in the Post from Washington?

Further:  
just 29 percent approve of the job Congress is doing, its lowest approval rating in this poll since November 1995, when Republicans controlled both the House and Senate. It also represents a 14-point drop since Democrats took control in January.

Why, you are probably asking yourself, if you lack a pulse, is this so?
Part of the displeasure with Congress stems from the stalemate between Democrats and the White House over Iraq policy. Most Americans do not believe Congress has gone far enough in opposing the war, with liberal Democrats especially critical of their party's failure to force the president into a significant change in policy.

and this is just arriving at that bastion of truth and reality? GEEZE - where can I find work like that - putting into print what everyone knows and why. I seem to recall a whole fucking election over this very thing. This ----->  :age: <---- may be a ranting old man, butthis is old news.

PS - someone email the Wapo -- Lindbergh DID land near Paris.   :annoyed:

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: Columnist Watch
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 09:38:23 AM »
I enjoyed reading Heather Mallick's take on the "Sex and the City" film hype. I have never seen that TV series and have no intention of viewing it or the film, but the hype is everywhere in the media. Remember there was a play called "Shopping and Fucking", which seems to summarize the content of that show - another show in which "workng gals" never seem to do any actual work. Mallick: Avoiding the Sex and the City deluge
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2008, 04:17:54 AM »
Robert Kennedy Jr. on what happened to the media.

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 10:34:36 AM »
Christie Blatchford on J. Couillard

It's pretty easy to guess how Blatchford is going to weigh in on topics like this.

It's not, actually, that I don't like Ms. Couillard. It's that I am weary of women like her, women who are celebrated for their tracts of land and, it appears, little else. I am weary of such dames getting a pass. And speaking as one who has never been seen as decoration on a man's arm and thus perhaps for a legion of the shy-tracted or tract-deficient, I have to tell you, I've had it up to here with notes such as the one I got yesterday from a male friend.

Actually, I don't think "women like her" get a pass, unless it's a very specific type of pass that I really don't envy. Unlike Blatchford, apparently.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 10:53:34 AM »
It is not a huge list for a woman of 38, but it appears just long enough that it seems to have precluded her from ever working on a career, or even getting a proper job.

Y'know, I don't care what people think of this case. That is friggin' awful sexist rhetoric, and the clever turns of phrase through Blatchford's piece are both sexist and class-sneery. WTH doesn't she just come out and call Couillard a piece of female white trash? That's her whole point, and it is disgusting to me, simply disgusting -- if entirely predictable from a woman who spends her life trying to be one of teh boyz.   :rant:

deBeauxOs

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 11:10:18 AM »
Quote from: brebis noire
Actually, I don't think "women like her" get a pass, unless it's a very specific type of pass that I really don't envy. Unlike Blatchford, apparently.
I agree, it's a totally sexist and classist condemnation of Couillard and other women like her.  

Blatchford has been deeply wounded by the 'un-beautiful' label that she wears like a shield.  It is a recurring theme in her writing, and often present in the subtext of her writing about women that she perceives got a free pass or were privileged because of their good looks.

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 12:04:17 PM »
I can't read Blatchford at the best of times!  :yuk  And you can't make me!  You cannot, cannot, cannot!!! :tantrum:
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2008, 12:33:27 PM »
I don't blame you Berlynn, but it is the same as looking at a foetus-fetishist screed, or some neoliberal crap.

An, umm, isn't expressing oneself smoothly and articulately in two languages a skill? One I doubt that Ms B possesses?
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2008, 01:00:44 PM »
I don't read Blatchford or Wente or any of the other Backlash Babes. They exist to rile people like me up. So I don't read them. If nobody read them, they'd go away.

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2008, 01:11:18 PM »
I'm inclined to agree with you, fern hill.  They, like the neo-fetal-fetishists, exist solely to waste my time, time better wasted elsewhere.   :mrgreen:
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

Return To TAT