Author Topic: Outdoor decorations  (Read 2722 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Outdoor decorations
« on: December 23, 2006, 09:26:05 AM »
At the front of my postage stamp, I have, through no virtue of my own, a very pretty little dwarf Alberta spruce, which, as some will know and others can learn from Google Images, bears a strong resemblance to a ... Christmas tree. A very cute and compact li'l Christmas tree.

No, I'm not going to dig it up and bring it indoors. A lot of other things need digging up out there, but the dwarf spruce stays.

I sometimes imagine a dress for it, though. Lights are out of the question, at least this year and maybe permanently -- I don't think I approve of lights, although I have a semi-open mind on that turf.

But I was thinking of strands of something -- if not lit up, they would have to be strands of something white or silver, I think, and obviously weather-proof. I mean, I can do popcorn threads any time, but popcorn is not going to last out there.

What would be a good common household or crafty substance to use to make draperies for the spruce?

And is anyone else decorating? Even a sprig of mistletoe hanging somewhere?

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Outdoor decorations
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 09:36:29 AM »
didn't you mention something about a box of styrofoam peanuts?

You could string them together for a garland.

You could use popcorn and or cranberries it's tedious but the birds love it.

Slices of oranges and apples hung over the tree are nice and homespun. Birds might like that as well.

ETA I have a few lights outside. Nothing serious. I cut some straggly branches off the cedars and used them to create some outside decoration.

Also the neighbours grapevine had grown up into the cedars so we pulled that down and I had enough to make two large wreathes which I hung outside and another large piece which I wrapped around the larger cedar branches I put in the large pot on the porch.

I had hoped to get some fir or pine to put in the pot too but I haven't found a free source this year and refuse to pay 9 bucks a small branch.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Return To TAT