Author Topic: Happy Holidays!  (Read 13231 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2006, 11:35:38 AM »
Moi?   :innocent    *hic*

lagatta

• View Profile
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2006, 11:39:01 AM »
Ha! Debra and I have just posted there.

Not a drop in me. Must get the paella in the oven first.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2006, 02:32:14 PM »
Quote from: oldgoat
Neither lagatta, I believe she may have been referring to our first date.

Bwahahahahaha :rotfl:

Oh and GOD... thank you I wasn't drinking eggnog or my keyboard and screen would be a gooey mess  :lol:

Not only GOD and "Pan" but the Queen has spoken too -- time to open up the bar and :toast the day!
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2006, 06:06:04 PM »
Happy Holidays, all!

I'm cooking a pair of Cornish game hens, all traditional-like, except that Xmas conspired against us a bit this year.  I went shopping on Saturday, and either I left a bag of stuff, or the checkout clerk didn't put it with the others, but either way, today I discovered:

- no parsnips (OK, I actually just forgot those. :oops:  Substitute: carrots)
- no pumpernickel bread for the stuffing (Substitute: barley)
- no potatoes (Substitute: the ones I already had in the fridge)
- no onions (Substitute: a heel of onion I had, thank Gord!)

Also, I went to the liquor store and could have sworn I bought a bottle of Port, but:

- no Port (Substitute:  Japanese plum wine - umeshi)

I'm not really complaining, mind you.  Had I forgot the pork sausage, or worse yet, the hens, things could have been much more dire.  Actually, I think I'd have proposed an impromtu trip to the Korean BBQ.  ;)

Both Mrs. M. and I got a nice flu for the holidays as well (probably why I forgot a whole bag of food at the grocery), but it got us out of some in-law obligations, so... :))  Thursday at work I felt like I'd been dropped from a great height, and by Friday I was mostly couch-bound, but that seemed to be the brunt of it.  Mrs. M. was just supernaturally tired.  

And Santa clearly read my letter this year and had Mrs. M. bring me a mandoline!  A good one, too!  So 2007 will be the year of Julienned Everything!  And Santa had me bring her a biscuit joiner in return.  I suppose anyone who's new here might think I got a musical instrument, and she got a device for attaching cookies.  :)
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

k'in

• View Profile
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2006, 06:34:38 PM »
Happy day everyone!  Resting up to take on the family tomorrow.  Going via train.  Had the most introverted day I’ve had in ages and I actually feel good about it.  Only ventured off the premises to go for a run early, saw lots of squirrels and few people. Gave the four-pawed pointy-eared beast his wee stocking filled with treats which managed to slow him down  at least for 5 minutes.  Neighbour came over with baklava & honey nut cookies.  Hope she wasn’t peeved cuz I was blasting Velvet Revolver at about 100 db.  I don’t think so.  Pretty sad I’m listening to a record that came out in 2004  :age: but there’s such a dearth of guitar oriented tunes these days.  I used to turn off the TV when I saw Slash, he was overexposed like a prototype Hasselhoff, but seems to have come up with innovative parts/pedal effects.  Gotta go open the presents.  Peace to all.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2006, 05:24:01 AM »
And Santa clearly read my letter this year and had Mrs. M. bring me a mandoline! A good one, too! So 2007 will be the year of Julienned Everything! And Santa had me bring her a biscuit joiner in return. I suppose anyone who's new here might think I got a musical instrument, and she got a device for attaching cookies. Smile

Well, I do know what a mandoline is, but a biscuit joiner is a new one on me.

I don't have one of the pro mandolines (which sorta scare me, eckshully); I have a safety slicer which does a not-bad job, although it doesn't shave the cucumbers quite as thin as I'd like. I could julienne with it, but I never have.

Aha! I just remembered something. Haven't we heard, somewhere in the distant past, that Mrs M is something of a carpenter?

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2006, 09:27:14 AM »
Ha. I know what a biscuit joiner is. Yes, skdadl, it is a carpentry thingy. Or maybe more correctly, a cabinet-making thingy. Here, in sweetie's building there are at least three female wood-workers.

Timebandit

• View Profile
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2006, 03:21:08 PM »
Quote from: suzette
Ooh, timebandit, I just noticed you're making pavlova!  How Antipodean!  And fabulous!  What's inspired that?

Well, every year I do dinner on Christmas Eve, and in order not to conflict with my mum's very traditional turkey dinner on Christmas Day, I make something nobody else would.  Which is great, because I get to flex my cooking muscles for a crowd, lots of fun.  This year I decided on duck a l'orange, and was coming up empty on dessert ideas.  Other years I've done things like creme caramel or chocolate mousses in dark chocolate cuffs, fiddly stuff that's very different than plum pudding, which we get at mum's house.  

I was watching Brothers and Sisters a couple of weeks ago and one of the characters made a pavlova.  I've got a recipe for it, but haven't made one in well over a decade.  Seemed like a good fit -- and they're not really that hard to make, which is also good.  Hmmm, I had the blond guy take a picture of it, I should try posting it.  I used mango, blackberries and pineapple for the fruit.  It looked spectacular and disappeared promptly.   :D
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2006, 03:53:15 PM »
How was the duck?

I've never had duck.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

'lance

• View Profile
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2006, 04:11:57 PM »
Vy not a duck?  :groucho-marx:

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2006, 04:15:20 PM »
:ducking

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2006, 04:17:26 PM »
Cause sometimes a fowl is just a fowl.

Ok I got nothing

peppermint

• View Profile
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2006, 05:44:59 PM »
Gues it's a little late to say Merry Christmas, but the thought was there.   Spent yesterday revisiting childhood at the Grandparents place.   Met the bumper crop of toddlers my cousins have been producing in my absence, got on the floor to play dinkies with them for a while. Shared a little gossip and drinks with my aunts, ang a few songs with the uncles- life is good.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2006, 05:48:36 PM »
Sounds like a great time!

Timebandit

• View Profile
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2006, 06:34:47 PM »
Quote from: Debra
How was the duck?

I've never had duck.

It turned out nicely.  Duck is a darker and richer meat than turkey or chicken, domestic duck can be quite fat.  I did two to make sure we had enough to go around, and the sauce had carmelized sugar, orange and pan drippings in it.  I added a few drops of Grand Marnier to intensify the orange.  The ducks themselves were seasoned with cumin and coriander, then stuffed with oranges and onions.

My dad used to hunt ducks, and we'd roast wild duck with orange.  Wild ducks are darker and a lot leaner, but very tasty.  I miss having them, although they're trickier to roast -- hard to keep moist.
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

Return To TAT