Author Topic: Happy Holidays!  (Read 13234 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2006, 06:56:11 PM »
One of the great resto losses in this city, and I still don't understand why it went away ...

On the corner of Bloor and St Thomas, just west of Bay Street and across the street from the Georg Jensen Danish shop, now also gone, was the Danish food centre -- I think it was called that, or something very like that. There was a cafeteria on the street level, but downstairs was a wonderful formal dining room, beautiful but not pretentious, in the European way -- ie, they assumed that humble people also deserved good food and white tablecloths.

On their lunch menu, there was a cold duck breast, served always with cucumber salad, beet salad too, I think, and maybe some form of potatoes ... Gosh, but that was a wonderful place for lunch in the 70s and 80s. I used to take my mum there when she came to visit, and we always ate the li'l ducks.

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2006, 07:54:49 PM »
Duck is my go-to fowl, if I want something that's not chicken.  A cool thing about duck is that you'll get a small jam jar full of nicely rendered fat from the average duck.  The fat isn't as heavy as you might imagine, and it's the best for things like home fries or scrambled eggs.

They're about the same size as a small roasting chicken (though they're oddly oblong shaped) and the drumsticks are tiny, but the breast makes up for it.  You can treat them just like a chicken, if you wish, but if you have guests, the plate appeal is significantly greater.

One delightful, though pricey, and arguably ethically dodgy, way to enjoy duck is with a magret of duck — the breast of duck that's been (over?)fed for duck liver.  It's a big piece of meat that's so red it looks almost like beef, except for the skin, and fat that can measure up to 3/8ths of an inch at the thickest point.  You score the skin and fat in a crosshatch, right down to the meat, rub salt and pepper into the scores, then broil it close to the flame or element, until the skin renders out the fat and crisps up, and the meat cooks to a nice medium rare.  The breasts get rested, while you pour off most of the fat, then prepare a nice glaze with about a tablespoon of the fat, the pan crunchies, a thin-sliced shallot, and a quarter cup of port wine or marsala, all simmered down until it thickens.  Don't forget to pour in any juices that leaked off while the breasts were resting.  And for Gord's sake, eat the crispy fat!  This is no time to be on a diet!
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

deBeauxOs

Happy Holidays!
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2006, 08:26:19 PM »
Quote from: Timebandit
Quote from: suzette
Ooh, timebandit, I just noticed you're making pavlova!  How Antipodean!  And fabulous!  What's inspired that?
... I used mango, blackberries and pineapple for the fruit.  It looked spectacular and disappeared promptly.   :D
What a perfect finish.  Pavlova is always so delish, so beautiful and so light.

gunnar gunnarson

• View Profile
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2006, 08:35:47 PM »
Magoo:

:drool  :eat  :drool  :eat  :drool  :eat  :drool  :eat

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2006, 08:37:39 PM »
Did I mention?  Feeds two adults, or eight smilies.  :)
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

Vansterdam Kid

• View Profile
    • http://incoherent-genius.blogspot.com/
Happy Holidays!
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2006, 11:07:23 PM »
Well I missed the Merry Christmas and Happy Others congrats...but ehh...Merry Boxing Day and have a happy New Year.

Croghan27

• View Profile
Re: Happy Holidays!
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2011, 03:03:21 PM »
T'is a bit late for the holiday this is set up to celebrate ... but tomorrow is another 'Mercan day - although not all celebrate it even yet.

It is Martin Luther King's birthday honoured as a federal holiday on the third Monday in January.

I wonder if we should have a similar day - for someone who has added a lot of quality to our country and our lives .... I propose we have a feather day .... for the feather that Elijah Harper held up in the Manitoba legislature to show his and all our aboriginal people's displeasure at being ignored in the Meech Lake agreement.

[/q]
While Indigenous peoples had no formal role in the negotiation of the Meech
Lake Accord, they did play an important role in determining its fate. One of the
iconic images of the national debate on the Meech Lake Accord, and its eventual
defeat, is that of Manitoba MLA Elijah Harper, a member of the Red Sucker Lake
First Nation, standing in the Manitoba Legislative Assembly with a single feather in
his hand, refusing consent to hold a vote on a resolution to ratify the Meech Lake

Accord.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2011, 11:25:31 PM »
OMFG, did you know that for Black Friday freaks Target/Wal-Mart employees get special training in defusing, de-escalating AND crowd management control, so they can FUNNEL customers by using Barricades?  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o 

WTF is wrong with N.A.'s? I ask you.
http://www.kcautv.com/story/16020930/black-friday-just-two-weeks-away

« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 11:26:15 PM by Toedancer »
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2011, 07:55:44 AM »
It is the Great Church of Shopping, with its rites, rituals, mass manias and sacrifices. I don't think it is only a North American phenomenon, though in some other societies this type of collective madness seems to be more often assocated with sporting events. To make a comparison, we need more news items about other societies, in particular new consumer societies in Asian countries. As for European countries, the consumer market tends to be more regulated (for example in France "les soldes" have to start at a given date and not before).

There really is an obsession with bargains. Well, we all have that to some degree; for more than a few people there are things they genuinely need (or which actually would improve their lives) that are always out of reach, but the obsession and compulsive behaviour encompasses far more people and far more "things".

There are some people for whom the coming of US discount firm Target is some kind of holy grail. I've never been in one, so have no idea whether there is any material basis to this enthusiasm.

Remember the WalMart worker who was trampled to death by the Black Friday crowds a couple of years ago. :(
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2011, 11:59:27 AM »
I don't recall where I read it so I can't give credit but somebody somewhere cracked that if the OWS crowds behaved liked the Black Friday crowds, they would roll tanks in
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Return To TAT