Author Topic: Healthy ordering in  (Read 2882 times)

Healthy ordering in
« on: December 24, 2006, 03:36:18 PM »
I just found out that we have to go up the hill and order in tonight. Family stuff, Christmas Eve and all. Usually, it's been Chinese food, Swiss Chalet or pizza. Chinese food has always made me feel somewhat ill (I don't know why. Even the foods with no MSG have made me ill). Any healthy nutritious alternatives? What else do people get when they order in?

lagatta

• View Profile
Healthy ordering in
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 04:06:15 PM »
I never order in, but I find Vietnamese food much more digestible than Chinese restaurant food. I do love Chinese bbq takeout ducks though... One place has them for $10,99 this week...

I can't tolerate cow's milk, so only snobby goat cheese pizzas are ok for me... and I don't want to pay those prices. Make my own pizza - it is simple to make, and not expensive.

A friend of mine sometimes orders in from a Greek place that makes good salads and yummy fried calamari...

Ordered in Indian/Pakistani and other South Asian food upsets me as well ... it is SO much greasier than the meals people I know from various parts of South Asia prepare...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Healthy ordering in
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 04:35:54 PM »
There used to be a service here that was a sort of restaurant aggregator -- I think it was called "On the Go," or something like that. Many different kinds of restaurants participated, but the delivery was done by the On the Go people.

I'm pretty sure that there still is a similar service going, but I haven't used it in a long time and I think things have changed.

It did mean that you could get some lovely food delivered, but it was verrrrry expensive.

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
Healthy ordering in
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 05:57:20 PM »
There used to be a wicked Indian take-out in Toronto called Sangam (since gone the way of the Dodo).  Food would arrive hot, and a lot.  Even the naan survived the trip.

We do a lot of Thai, which is easy where we are (I'm actually waiting for my red curry beef as we speak), and we also tend to get a fair amount of sushi as take-out.  One place near me will give you salmon or chicken teriyaki, plus steamed veggies, rice, a salad, miso soup, shrimp and yam tempura, 3 pieces of cucumber roll and three of salmon roll for $8.  Good deal.

I'd give my left ear for a good Korean take-out that delivers.  There must be one, but if I don't have a flyer I don't have a hope.
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

gunnar gunnarson

• View Profile
Healthy ordering in
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2006, 06:00:27 PM »
Quote from: ephemeral
Chinese food has always made me feel somewhat ill ...

Eph, I'm gonna go out on a limb here:  you've got no yiddish blood, have you.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Healthy ordering in
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2006, 06:03:43 PM »
Herr Magoo! Phone numbers, please.

Danke schön.

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
Healthy ordering in
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2006, 06:52:10 PM »
Sushi Island
    571 College St
    416-535-1515

I'm not sure what good it will do you without the menu, but for starters, the meal I described is "Bento B".  Beware though:  no delivery.  :(

For some really nice Thai, WITH delivery, consider Magic Thai (from whence we ordered this evening):

Magic Thai
930 Queen St. W
(416) 532-3932

Ask for a classic, like Green Curry Chicken or Lemongrass soup and you can't go too wrong.  Like all takeout places, both of these deliver a menu with your order, so after that you're set.
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Healthy ordering in
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2006, 07:40:02 AM »
Thank you, Herr Magoo.

I will try Magic Thai, although I may be too far north -- straight north, mind, but north.

Return To TAT