Author Topic: Young Liberal. Sexist Pig.  (Read 54699 times)

faith

• View Profile
    • http://www.faithloverobertson.com
feminist news
« Reply #120 on: January 05, 2007, 12:10:33 AM »
Again these guys are saying whatever pops into their minds without reading the forum. To call Bread and Roses an extremist site on the edge of NDP philosophy is laughable.
The comments remind me of a show I saw a long time ago (Phil Donahue?) and Shere Hite was on it with her book that was actually a survey of thousands of women. The audience was filled with men who had all been given a chance to read the book because they had been mailed an advance copy. The audience stood up one after the other and verbally attacked the author accusing her of the most hateful motives for writing the book- honestly I think if they hadn't been on television she would've been in danger.
But as they stood to attack her she calmly stood in front of them and when they were finished venting she asked each and every one if they had read the book- they all answered no. Yet each man felt he knew exactly what Shere Hite was all about. The more things change the more they stay the same.
just picture it

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
Young Liberal. Sexist Pig.
« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2007, 12:38:33 AM »
Quote from: Berlynn
And this guy's remarks hurt most of all.  Good comments there, Debra.
No kidding, eh?  I don't see how Debra could've been any clearer. Guess the MHVW went *whoosh* right over his head? Kind of reminded me of that Seinfeld, when that jerky doctor misconstrued Uncle Leo's painted-on-eyebrows for anger...
DOCTOR: (Sees Leo's eyebrows) Woah, woah.. No need to get angry. Calm down.
LEO: I am calm.
DOCTOR: Leo, I don't care for your demeanor.
LEO: (Confused) Demeanor?
DOCTOR: Oh, now you're just being difficult. (Starts to write on Leo's file)
And Berlynn...when NBCDipper guy referred to you as a "self professed "Feminazi", I immediately thought of Lisa Simpson. When Lisa went vegetarian, she received the following taunts from her school-yard peers:
Sheri/Terri: Look at Missus Potato Head!  She has a head made out of lettuce.  [Giggles.]
Ralph: I can't believe I used to go out with you.
Janie: Are you going to marry a carrot, Lisa?
Lisa: [Rolling her eyes.]  Yes, I'm going to marry a carrot.
Sherri/Terri: Ohh!  She admitted it.  She's going to marry a carrot!

The aggrieved 'winners' in our society are getting to be...um...what's that word?
High-maintenance  :wink:

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2007, 02:35:39 AM »
Quote from: Berlynn
Kd makes me sick.  These young fools just do not get it.  How many times?  :banghead  How many ways can it be explained?  And why do they run from their own power, privilege, and inherent sexism?  AAACK!  

I want to cry.  It's sad.  It's so very sad.  

And they call themselves progressive... :?
I thought at first you meant kd lang there; but of course it was that dimwit K-Dough.  You wrote a fine post explaining the facts on why women are more affected by the minimum wage and he just wanked that you were being anti-man!  What a dweeb!  Was he too lazy to read your post or too stupid to understand it?  Then he got some fluffy headed rightwinger coming on all ignorant about the whole issue, but stroking his bloated ego for him.
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2007, 05:35:19 AM »
They really don't read, do they. That strikes me so often -- that someone goes to some trouble to write a detailed, logical comment, and yet the motormouths come back with the same claims and charges they've been making all along.

To me, reading means starting with the first word and then reading every single word that follows in exactly the order it was written. I get the feeling that a lot of guys do not read that way.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2007, 05:59:04 AM »
The real communists I have met are those that go into isolated Native communities and working with the elders, begin literacy classes - organize food banks (where possible) and help the inhabitants try to negotiate their way through the paper work the Feds continually spew out.

These are the people that begin English classes for newly arrived immigrants in mining camps and have been known to (actually) wangle some funding from the large mining multinationals for community projects and buildings.

They are communists committed to "community" action: their ideology is  expressed in their doings, not in speaches.

"At 11:25 PM, Northern BC Dipper said…

Berlynn,

First, let apologize about saying that Bread 'N' Roses was communist. I was not thinking too well when I made that comment."

Of someone calls me a communist, I am honoured -  I have spend most of my life as a comfortable, white middle class male in a rich western country enjoying the benefits that come with that.

I do not deserve to be called a communist.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2007, 06:14:52 AM »
Well said, Croghan.

I would have to admit that too. I do not deserve to be called a communist. I haven't been good enough yet.

« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2007, 10:36:48 AM »
That is a nice post, Croghan.

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2007, 11:07:32 AM »
Croghan, I love your definition of communist.  However, using that definition will always make me a wannabe (though I have done a coupla decent organizing gigs in my day).
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

Polly

• View Profile
    • http://marginalnotes.typepad.com/pj/
Personally...
« Reply #128 on: January 05, 2007, 11:09:04 AM »
...I am vowing to ignore lots of these idiots from now. I know sometimes something has to be said. But, take for example, Eugene's post...I mean it is just so beneath me. I find some of the thoughts on PBs despicable.

It is tricky...I wonder about resigning from PBs because I'm not sure that I can stand to be affiliated with these people. In any case, I feel I need to set some boundaries so that my energies get chanelled towards real change and not debating with compromised minds.

The audacity to suggest that we might cater to someone like Cherniak! I have my own ambitions thanks...he may want to be careful not to piss someone like me off.

Anyway, I think it is hilarious that k-dough has singled me out as the 'reasonable' feminist because with all the anti-women shit I see lately, I am on the verge of going vigilante!

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2007, 11:15:39 AM »
Oh, I knew that, Polly. I thought that was so funny, that K-Dough of all people, and in the middle of that post, should be appealing to you.

And you're absolutely right:

I have my own ambitions thanks...he may want to be careful not to piss someone like me off.

Amazing that that has yet to occur to them.  :D

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2007, 11:57:01 AM »
Quote from: skdadl
Amazing that that has yet to occur to them.  :D

They must be in some kind of denial.  Polly for PM!

I firmly believe that women's time is a-coming and those young ones will see a lot of it in their lifetimes.  Our destiny as women is, I think, intricately tied to our planet in more ways that we can imagine.  The tide, as it were, is turning and things are going to change more quickly, I think.  What I have to remember, in order to sustain my energy, is that the world I entered into as an adult is a very different one from that which my daughter will enter into in a few short years.  And a fair chunk of that is a good thing.

We are making a difference.  And we will continue to make a difference.
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2007, 01:25:24 PM »
Quote from: Croghan27
"At 11:25 PM, Northern BC Dipper said…

Berlynn,

First, let apologize about saying that Bread 'N' Roses was communist. I was not thinking too well when I made that comment."

Of someone calls me a communist, I am honoured -  I have spend most of my life as a comfortable, white middle class male in a rich western country enjoying the benefits that come with that.

I do not deserve to be called a communist.

Nicely put Croghan. The fact that NBC Dipper felt compelled to apologize for calling Berlynn a "communist" underscores the fact that they really are not that progressive nor politically aware. It doesn't surprise me that he thinks of women protecting their rights as radical feminists and communists. This is how he defines the NDP:

Most New Democrats on the Internet are actually center-left moderates who want to debate issues and do it with common decency.

Given how far right the centre has moved in the last two decades, I sure hope the NDP decision-makers don't feel the same way.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

radiorahim

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2007, 05:44:35 PM »
Most New Democrats on the Internet are actually center-left moderates who want to debate issues and do it with common decency.

Spoken like a true Blairite.   :pukey:

At a time of some of the most obscene concentrations of wealth ever seen in history this Blairite wants to "debate issues and do it with common decency"?

What's "commonly decent" about astronomical CEO salaries and stock options?    What's "commonly decent" about starting wars and mass slaughter based on lies?
Free software, Free society

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2007, 07:50:02 PM »
:clap:
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 05, 2007, 08:11:19 PM »
I fear poor JC has kissed the blarney stones too many times. Raked over the coals AGAIN.

http://www.tdhstrategies.com/2007/01/ch ... ature.html
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Return To TAT