Author Topic: Young Liberal. Sexist Pig.  (Read 55292 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Young Liberal. Sexist Pig.
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 04:34:40 AM »
Quote from: ephemeral
JC sounds too simple-minded and inexperienced. Doesn't sound like he understands a heck of a lot about income vs. expenses, and he hasn't bothered to research any stats on who lives on minimum income and the number of their dependants, if any. He is mouthing off an ill-thought out solution ('reasonable' increases in minimum wage) without presenting any facts or numbers as to why his solution is better than anything else, or even what a 'reasonable' increase.

Very acute of you, eph. And looky here: Cherniak confirms eph's analysis in his own words, in a comment at Cowboys for Social Responsibility:

In your analysis, you forget the extra money that people in that situation receive through different government credits. You also miss that $800 is only if you choose to live right downtown in Toronto on your own. It is possible to have much lower rent if you share with somebody.

Finally, I am curious to know how many people are currently living on minimum wage. We are talking about this hypothetical person who might not even exist.

When I first read that, I just gaped. I had to read it over and over to be sure it said what it says. To me, it says, "I wrote a blogpost without knowing the first thing about the topic I was writing to." And that further says, "I don't think or work hard because I don't have to. I'm Jason Cherniak and you're not."

And that's what you're reading when you read Cherniak: a spoiled little boy (note: the species comes in all ages, and sometimes, paradoxically, also seems to have been born middle-aged).

I am finding this discussion anxiety-inducing just generally, since I live on very little myself and with non-stop financial anxieties, as I know others here do too. It all leaves me feeling quite disoriented and, well, marginal.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 08:54:20 AM »
And he rabbits on, here.

Last night, the guy admitted that he doesn't know what the stats are, that he was talking through a remote part of his anatomy in the first place, and today he comes back and challenges others to do the work for him on the "demographics" that he admits he hasn't bothered to look up himself?

Ye gods and little fishes. This is getting Freudian.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 09:50:44 AM »
CCAP reminds us that in a few hours, top CEOs will have earned what minimum-wage earners earn in a year: http://www.policyalternatives.ca/News/2 ... a=F4FB3E9D

This is from a larger project on the Growing Gap in compensation.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

anne cameron

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007, 10:26:17 AM »
I've been told recently by someone who means nothing at all to me one way or the other, that I use "too many" English terms in my speech and writing.  I think the objection came when I called Corby's wild pals her "rellies".  Tsk Tsk.

But then I encounter this twit and..."git" comes to mind as does "prat" and "Sod"....

On this island we'd probably say "arstle" or "arsletart" or "lugan"

Obvious gits like Cherniak don't worry me.  It's the hidden dregs, the ones who make it possible for this kind of classist crap to be published and disseminated.  They're the same septage who make sure so many damned good writers never get publication or distribution.

Bad 'cess to them.  Verra bad 'cess.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007, 10:32:00 AM »
anne, I'm glad you don't worry about using colourful expressions from the other side of the pond, whether they are English, Scots or Irish. Welsh?

Your terms bear absolutely zero relation to the pretentious prattling of prats such as Conrad and Babs.

The annals of the workers' movement are littered with such screeds by those who prefer dabs of charity to justice.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007, 10:34:18 AM »
"Cherniak was the Stéphane Dion Blog Campaign Co-Chair and sat on the Internet Task Force of the Liberal Renewal Commission."

Yuck. :pukey:

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2007, 10:41:54 AM »
With all due respect, Anne, gits like JC worry me.  They're lazy thinkers, and they talk a lot.  They're young men becoming old boys.  And they bug the piss outta me!
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2007, 11:03:27 AM »
Here, Robert at My Blahg does the numbers for tax cuts vs rise in minimum wage:

So reducing a minimum wage worker’s tax burden to zero would put less than $1,632 in their pocket while raising the minimum wage to $10/hour would put at least an additional $3,148 in their pocket; double what the tax cut would. I think it’s pretty obvious which one is the better deal.

It would also, as a bonus, put up to an additional $852 into government revenues that could then be spent on social programs that help all Canadians.

Well done, Robert.

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2007, 11:45:56 AM »
And, as I said to Robert, good work, work that lazy-a$$ed Cherniak should've done before he spewed his tripe!

Interestingly, said lazy a$$ will not approve my comments, or has not as of yet.
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2007, 11:59:06 AM »
True, but due to bracket creep there are a lot of people under the poverty line who are paying income tax. That IS a problem, and not just for neoliberals.
Rosa Luxemburg

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2007, 03:38:06 PM »
J.C. reports upon us. Even this he has not researched out but simply jumped to his own conclusions.

I propose we take up a fund raising campaign to buy the poor dear a pair of crutches, what with all this jumping to conclusions he is sure to need them.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2007, 03:49:11 PM »
Hee. Dolt. What makes him think this is an NDP site? He'd better clean up his research act, if he wants anyone to take him at all seriously. I mean, really.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2007, 03:53:34 PM »
JC is totally, utterly incapable of imagining that anyone would do politics without being in an electoral party and using it to climb ladders.

He just cannot and will not think outside that box. Sad, really.

« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2007, 04:10:56 PM »
NDP site?? Man, he really likes to write about things he knows next to nothing about.

I seriously think it would be futile to bother getting into a 'civil debate' with JC. He has convinced himself how right he is without even having done any research; heck, he even questions the very existence of someone living on minimum wage. When I read that part skdadl highlighted earlier, I thought, "what the heck? What on earth does he mean?? Does he know what he's talking about, or realize what a stupid thing he just said?" He has formed strong opinions with very litte information, he wants everyone else to do his research for him to convince him otherwise (how lazy can people get?!), and I suspect he is more interested in proving he is right rather than learning anything new. What a pompous ignoramus.

His generalized statements about what governments are really for, and what they are not for are unbelievably simplistic, naive and hilarious. Just like his opinion that Bread and Roses is now an NDP site.  :roll:

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2007, 04:23:00 PM »
God. I only just realized -- that is a completely new post of JC's.

A whole post about us!!!   :shock:

And he is advising "reporters" to come and read us!!!   :shock:

And he wants the NDP to control us!!!  

:rotfl:

And look: he's got a whole 8 votes on PB already. I say ... VOTE 'IM UP, GRILS!  

Thanks, Jason. Thanks so much.  :lol:

Return To TAT