Author Topic: Dyeing (not dying!)  (Read 3243 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
Dyeing (not dying!)
« on: June 18, 2006, 04:11:36 PM »
Dyeing (not dying).

I bought a very expensive skirt with gores (panels) for $3 at a church bazaar. It is long and full - too much so for a short person. I want to shorten it to a style that is now quite popular - a skirt with some fullness, just below the knee. The print (on natural fibre) is dark blue on cream - almost white. Not my colours at all and rather right-wing colours (it is a very interesting and unusual print though).

I want to dye the skirt (the print would stay unchanged, the background deepen. Probably forest green, thoug in practice it won't get quite so dark.

Any dyers among our bakers and gardeners?
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Dyeing (not dying!)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 04:15:25 PM »
Over in the rotting food thread, Debra directed me here for info on burned pots.

http://www.ehow.com/how_1351_dye-material-naturally.html[/url]

lagatta

• View Profile
Dyeing (not dying!)
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 06:09:07 PM »
That doesn't say what to dye with. The best I can find in shops here is Dylon - evidently there are more effective dyes, but I have no idea where to purchase them.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Dyeing (not dying!)
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 06:21:20 PM »
I have yet to dye.   :wink:

Years ago I bought a little box of something so that I could dye a sort of popcorn-knit hat that I still quite like, nice medieval shape it has, but it is pale pink, and I want it black. I figured that should be a very easy transition.

I've never done it, though. I think I know where both hat and dye are stored, and I'll look them up for you tomorrow, lagatta. The stuff I bought is the most commonly available commercial stuff, though, nothing sophisticated.

Some of the instructions for dyeing that I've seen on the web look very difficult to me, but then I'm impatient.

Toedancer

• View Profile
Dyeing (not dying!)
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 08:28:38 PM »
Oh L, I've been very remiss with my dyeing projects for years. I did do alot o dying at one time, but it was simple things, like a bikini from orange to dark green, with just the drugstore dyes. I always loved dyeing, even did a pretty good tie-dye years ago. And when the giant soup pot (with a glass lid) was on the stove and I had my long soup stick which I made from a gorgeous piece of wood from Killbear this is how I felt:

Double, double toil and trouble;
    Fire burn, and caldron bubble.

It's all about the head space, if your determined to wear this wonderful skirt, albeit in different colours, then you will do it!

You can use your roasting pan if it's big enuf.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

suzette

• View Profile
Dyeing (not dying!)
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 09:25:25 PM »
My local drycleaner is an agent for a commercial dyer.  I've long been a hobby clothing dyer, but I sent along a pair of jeans to these people a few years ago and the result was sensational, and still is after many, many washes.  Of course, the range of colours you can choose from is very limited, but they have the commercial grade dyes and all the good gear with which to do it.  I think it cost me $12 (not much more than a bottle of dye) and the results are even, dark and colourfast.  Perhaps you could ask around to see if there's anyone in your local area who does this.

deBeauxOs

Dyeing (not dying!)
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 06:20:34 PM »
The dyes that I have used are Rit and Tintex.  It is important to follow the instructions: the clothing or fabric to be dyed must be thoroughly wet before you add it to the dye bath.  The dye powder must be completely dissolved before you add the item.  If you use a washing machine, turn it off after the churning action is done, let it soak overnight or as long as you you can.  Oh, one other thing - if any part of the clothing is synthetic, such as thread or stitching or a zipper ribbon, it will retain its original colour.

Morning Glory

• View Profile
Dyeing (not dying!)
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2006, 08:19:34 AM »
I can respond to almost all wool-dyeing questions.  But I have not dyed cotton since my tie-dyeing days.

Question:  how do people get those really cool tie-dyed t-shirts with multiple colours?  I was only ever able to dye with one colour.

deBeauxOs

Dyeing (not dying!)
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2006, 11:40:48 AM »
Quote from: Morning Glory
... how do people get those really cool tie-dyed t-shirts with multiple colours?  I was only ever able to dye with one colour.
You put the different dye colours in plastic squeeze bottles, like those inexpensive mustard/ketchup holders.  You tie the shirt into the pattern you want - spiral, circles, stripes, etc.  Then you carefully apply the dye to the area where you want it to be.  The more you do it, the better you get at controlling the application and the blending of colours.

Morning Glory

• View Profile
Dyeing (not dying!)
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2006, 05:08:35 PM »
That is so blessedly simple.  Thanks de.

Return To TAT