Author Topic: Because We Are Women  (Read 65721 times)

kuri

• View Profile
Because We Are Women
« Reply #165 on: August 14, 2007, 07:54:18 AM »
I wanted to do IB when I was in high school, but my high said they couldn't afford to administer it "just for one person". I was irritated, but then again, I'm not there now.

justme

• View Profile
Because We Are Women
« Reply #166 on: August 14, 2007, 07:55:13 AM »
Ah, yes, the parent-of-high-school-student-speak.

By the time you got the whole thing figgured out they are ready to graduate :?  :D

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
Because We Are Women
« Reply #167 on: August 14, 2007, 12:30:55 PM »
Is "IB" international baccalaureate?

I didn't even hear about this until undergrad.  No idea what OO2 is though  :oops:

justme

• View Profile
Because We Are Women
« Reply #168 on: August 14, 2007, 12:41:46 PM »
OO2 is a program offered in Nova Scotia (not sure if it is offered elsewhere) for grades 10, 11 and 12.  Twenty seats are funded at each high school, for the purpose of "streaming" students towards trades and the like.  For my guy it's great, as his goal has been for a number of years to be a welder.  His marks aren't the greatest - OK in subjects he likes, horrible in subjects he doesn't.  He will be able to go to trade school in NS even if he doesn't attain the 70% average required to be admitted, as the program guarantees him a seat. The "Options and Opportunities" program takes the kids out into the community and exposes them to the jobs they are interested in, and provide a co-op program where, once they are 16, they can work one day a week at a trade they are planning to learn.  I am hoping this will provide enough incentive to keep my guy in school until he graduates - if it were up to him he'd blow off high school tomorrow and head straight for trade school.

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
Because We Are Women
« Reply #169 on: August 14, 2007, 12:52:56 PM »
That sounds pretty kewl!

ReWind.it

• View Profile
Because We Are Women
« Reply #170 on: October 15, 2007, 01:09:02 PM »
Amazing blog post at Antigone

So very refreshing that it gets to the heart of the matter, yet I know how tedious it must be to have to repeat oneself over and over again before 'they get it'.
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
Sir Winston Churchill

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Because We Are Women
« Reply #171 on: October 15, 2007, 02:05:14 PM »
What a total bubbleheaded sexist jerk Jeffrey Hansen-Carlson is. And that is an NDP candidate?!? (Doing a little googling around -- he is, as you might have suspected, in his twenties. Sorry for the agism, but rilly ...)

Because We Are Women
« Reply #172 on: October 16, 2007, 12:57:01 PM »
Ugh, barf. skdadl, you are so correct when you say the NDP just acquired a problem. Unfortunately, a problem with strongly opinionated young white males like Hansen-Carlson is that they are too arrogant to ever listen to and consider anybody else's point of views, feelings and arguements. They get older feeling only more secure, confident and pig-headed, and certainly more arrogant, self-righteous and ignorant, and may even raise children just like themselves. The NDP has got some house-cleaning to do.

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
Because We Are Women
« Reply #173 on: October 17, 2007, 01:10:47 AM »
As I said in the comments over at the post...OMFG!  And this guy is allowed the privilege of a membership in the NDP???  How do we have him removed?
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

jrootham

• View Profile
Because We Are Women
« Reply #174 on: October 17, 2007, 10:32:02 AM »
Quote from: Berlynn
As I said in the comments over at the post...OMFG!  And this guy is allowed the privilege of a membership in the NDP???  How do we have him removed?

Write a letter to the BC NDP Executive.

Should do a good job of putting the cat amongst the pigeons.

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Because We Are Women
« Reply #175 on: October 19, 2007, 12:14:16 PM »
From Antigone Magazine:

Feminists Have More Fun.

Feminism boosts sexual satisfaction for both men and women, a new study suggests.

Busting stereotypes that peg feminists as men-haters, a new study shows that having a feminist partner is linked with healthier, more romantic heterosexual relationships.

The study, published online this week in the journal Sex Roles, relied on surveys of both college students and older adults, finding that women with egalitarian attitudes do find mates and men do find them attractive. In fact, results reveal they are having a good time, maybe a better time than the non-feminists.

Both men and women are prone to holding negative views of feminists, the authors say. Along with the sexually unattractive stereotype, some women also view feminism as a movement for victims, or for women who aren't competent enough to achieve success on their own merit, according to the Rutgers University researchers.

Psychologists Laurie Rudman and Julie Phelan carried out a laboratory survey of 242 Rutgers undergraduates and conducted an online survey of 289 older adults who had an average age of 26 and typically had been in their current relationship about four years.

ReWind.it

• View Profile
Because We Are Women
« Reply #176 on: October 24, 2007, 01:45:23 PM »
Forgot to post yesterday for those who want stats etc.

Global Safe Abortion Conference
A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
Sir Winston Churchill

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
Because We Are Women
« Reply #177 on: November 29, 2007, 12:49:07 AM »
Found this loverly letter.  There are 8 points in all.  Here's the first:

“Talking to a woman” - a letter to a Liberal Man

[-snip-]

1. Listen with your ears, not with your interrupting mouth. I’m sure you’re really eager to prove to yourself and everyone around you that you understand what I’m saying - hey, maybe I haven’t heard about that article in the paper yet, or maybe there’s something neat that happened to you last week that is sort of related to what I’m saying or maybe you found a quote in this book that adds to my point- It really doesn’t matter when I can’t get through what I’m saying because you cut me off. It also doesn’t “make it all better” to throw something in afterwards like “Oh sorry. What were you saying?” Don’t tell me what a good listener everyone thinks you are when I’m in the middle of telling you something. I know this might hurt, but sometimes, it’s ok when you can’t hear your voice in a room. It’s even ok not to be the first person to bring up a particular point. Remember, listening when I’m talking doesn’t necessarily mean that you are not engaged in a conversation.
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

Gigi

• View Profile
Because We Are Women
« Reply #178 on: November 30, 2007, 12:14:55 AM »
ETA: I know what it is now, specifically that tweaks me about that.  It's the use of the specific to define the universal, where certain elements of that letter cannot.  And of course, my mind immediately jumps to the instances where it doesn't.

I just wrote a long blathering bit about applying the logic of "safe spaces" to the world at large, and the futility of interacting with wolves who have convinced themselves that the sheeps clothing makes them a sheep.
But it is just as pointless.

GAH.

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: Because We Are Women
« Reply #179 on: September 21, 2008, 09:11:02 PM »
http://www.unifem.org/progress/2008/politics.html

Progress of the World's Women 2008/09
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Return To TAT