Author Topic: Because We Are Women  (Read 65203 times)

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
Re: Because We Are Women
« Reply #180 on: June 09, 2009, 04:49:33 AM »
Went to a funeral yesterday for a lovely gentle woman who raised three lovely accomplished daughters, got ditched by hubby, and had to work three hard labour jobs just to pay her rent before dropping dead of a heart attack at 60 while cleaning a church at night.
What I want to know is - why is society so arranged that a woman who has given generously to her community all her life has to work that hard at 60 just to stay afloat?

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #181 on: June 09, 2009, 05:58:13 AM »
Those two sentences speak volumes, Alison.  :cry:

Sometimes it makes you cry ... and then other times it makes you think of tumbrils and pitchforks and torches ...

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 09, 2009, 10:18:27 AM »
Yes, it is terrible.

I do think it is normal to be working at 60, but not doing strenuous cleaning...

So many people nowadays wind up in hard, low-paid jobs after downsizing, divorce or whatever. It is enraging.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

shaolin

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 09, 2009, 10:51:33 AM »
I'm sorry to hear this Allison.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 09, 2009, 11:09:01 AM »
Yes, Alison, it is unfair ... my deepest sympathies to you and her family.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #185 on: June 09, 2009, 05:40:28 PM »
Oh, Alison!  :hug:  You've touched a nerve with me because in some ways you could have been describing my mom.  She's not working three jobs, just one, and she's not 60, she's 65.  But she's scrambling to make ends meet every month.  And she's been on worker's comp twice.  She wants to retire but isn't convinced she can afford to.  She was a farm wife for 20 years and there's no recognition of that work at all when it comes to her CPP.

It is, indeed, an unfair world in which we live.  And we carry on, nevertheless.  Until we die.
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #186 on: June 09, 2009, 07:52:19 PM »
Aw, B.
Thank you, all, for your kind words. I've been in a rage about this for days even though I know it is a common occurance. Hard to imagine that if we were organizing our society from scratch, that one of the rules would be : Women who unstintingly build their communities for decades and get dumped by their not-rich husbands will be sentenced to hard labour till they die of it.

Infosaturated

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 27, 2011, 05:04:32 AM »
It was the early 70s and I was in high-school.  My mother had signed me up for an activity that meant a lot to me but I would have to leave school 20 minutes early on Friday.  My mother sent a note to the school letting them know.  They sent the note back with an addition of their own. My father had to sign it. My mother was furious and phoned the school.

Such a small thing but so telling. My mother, in her late thirties, apparently wasn't considered responsible enough to make decisions about her daughter.  She was woman enough to create me and raise me for 16 years and yet the school questioned her authority.

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #188 on: March 27, 2011, 04:40:27 PM »
Oh the stories I could tell, about myself or my sisters. Not just my Mother.

Like the well-known Toronto ad exec who, in 1974, when I was being interviewed for a low-level copywriting job looked at my c.v. and noted that I was married. (One put down one's marital status in those days although it wasn't the law or anything. One just did it.) He said to me that he would not be hiring me because, being in my 20s and just married, I'd be taking off for baby making. When I told him I had no plans for having kids, he said ''All women have kids. It's what they were born to do.''

It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Return To TAT