Author Topic: Global Warming/Climate Change  (Read 164120 times)

Toedancer

• View Profile
Global Warming/Climate Change
« on: January 06, 2007, 11:59:17 AM »
Arborman, for you and others looking for another way.

Global Warming is Here. Now What?

American voters lurch from crisis to crisis, have a short attention span and get their information from a very fad-obsessed media, according to Daniel Press, professor and chair of Environmental Studies at UC Santa Cruz. Any crisis that requires a change in behavior or tremendous investment, such as global warming requires, will take a major upheaval to affect public policy -- a Pearl Harbor-type event in the environment.

"Unfortunately, we will have many disruptions with extreme climate events, rising sea levels and possibly some cascading collapses in various ecosystems," said Press.

Some states are not waiting for disasters. California recent adopted a global emissions bill, which could spur politicians to provide national leadership on the issue. Despite strong opposition from Republicans, California passed a bill requiring reduction of CO2 by 25 percent by 2020, with enforceable controls.

"California's global warming bill represents a complete break from federal policy and something unheard of in this country," said Press. "If the political stars can align for this to happen in California, moderate Republicans and Democrats could make this happen on the national level."

http://www.alternet.org/envirohealth/45981/

A Look Back

n 1996, the Pentagon prepared imaginary scenarios describing five potential futures by 2025. Most of them were based on the belief that a better world was one dominated by American military power -- which is to say, by the threat of state violence. That they came up with five possible futures demonstrated, at least, how wide-open the next two decades seemed, even to a Tyrannosaurus-Rex bureaucracy that thought it was soon to own the planet.

Some of their technological, corporate, and militaristic futures could have come to pass. Had people not come to believe strongly enough in their own power, in a horizontalist society, and in a planet-wide ability to work with the environmental changes the Industrial Age had loosed on us, we might be living in a very different, unimaginably catastrophic world -- one in which the mammals would never have proliferated. They might even have breathed their last without ever emerging from under the fern fronds and out of the grasses.

http://www.alternet.org/envirohealth/45706/

Horizontalism: Voices of Popular Power in Argentina

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle ... emID=11737
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 01:02:10 PM »
Dr. Hansen (NASA) now free to speak.

n an interview with The Independent, Jim Hansen, who was one of the first scientists to warn of climate change in scientific testimony to the US Congress in 1988, claimed that we have less than 10 years to begin to curb carbon dioxide emissions before global warming runs out of control and changes the landscape forever.

Last year, Dr Hansen, director of the Nasa Goddard Institute for Space Studies, part of Columbia University in New York, complained that Nasa public relations officials appointed by the Bush administration had tried to gag him by limiting his access to the media. But in talking to this newspaper he was outspoken, warning that there are already worrying signs that global warming is beginning to trigger dangerous "positive feedbacks" within the climate, which can accelerate the rate of climate change.

Dr Hansen said: "We just cannot burn all the fossil fuels in the ground. If we do, we will end up with a different planet. I mean a planet with no ice in the Arctic, and a planet where warming is so large that it's going to have a large effect in terms of sea level rises and the extinction of species."

http://news.independent.co.uk/environme ... 116874.ece

Regarding Dr. Hansen's assertion that once started, warming will accelerate the rate of climate change, there is this guy, who coined GAIA, explains the acceleration using a wholistic model.

Professor Lovelock

Now his concerns have reached a peak - and have a new emphasis. Rather than calling for further ways of countering climate change, he is calling on governments in Britain and elsewhere to begin large-scale preparations for surviving what he now sees as inevitable - in his own phrase today, "a hell of a climate", likely to be in Europe up to 8C hotter than it is today.

In his book's concluding chapter, he writes: "What should a sensible European government be doing now? I think we have little option but to prepare for the worst, and assume that we have passed the threshold."
*snip*
rofessor Lovelock draws attention to one aspect of the warming threat in particular, which is that the expected temperature rise is currently being held back artificially by a global aerosol - a layer of dust in the atmosphere right around the planet's northern hemisphere - which is the product of the world's industry.

This shields us from some of the sun's radiation in a phenomenon which is known as "global dimming" and is thought to be holding the global temperature down by several degrees. But with a severe industrial downturn, the aerosol could fall out of the atmosphere in a very short time, and the global temperature could take a sudden enormous leap upwards.

So even a downturn could speed up the change. I've noticed other scientists (Merkin) are desperately downplaying this global dimming concept.

It certainly makes the looking back from 2026 look rather naieve.

http://news.independent.co.uk/environme ... 338878.ece

ETA - I'm changing the thread title.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 01:27:41 PM »
I posted this on babble earlier today:

Once a month I select a ppv movie to watch, and today it is the Al Gore movie. I like the link given at the end: An Inconvenient Truth - so much information. Some of the things I hope to do myself this year is to plant as many trees as I can on my property - but I'll have to figure out which ones are best for here, hopefully they'll be fast-growing as I'm already 57 and would hope to see these trees actually grow in my lifetime. I'll be looking for other things I an do as well - we already have a recycling program for our soft drink containers, but that's it - no blue box or anything else - we are a small community in a remote location not served by connecting roads.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 01:57:40 PM »
Saw the film recently with my D; she's now forcing her 'other' family to see it, the ones who drive the SUV's all over the place. Why are they still on the market? We're not mad enough to say anything? Our footprints are so small compared to the industries. I'm sick of useless poli's telling us ways we can reduce/reuse etc. People just won't without financial incentive.

But there is still the subtle message that it is 'our' fault, when we know all know it is the elitists fault, the mine owners/oil/gas exploration, all of that.

What do we do? Letter writing campaigns? Petitions? Already too late for that.

How is your battle going getting your land shored up?

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 02:29:14 PM »
Quote from: Toedancer
How is your battle going getting your land shored up?

This winter - actually next week - I'm starting with the letters. I've already sent emails but some flunky answers them, not anyone in any position of authority. So, because I used to work in Ottawa, I will use my experience to send registered letters to people and ask for their attention, reply, etc...

The last time I was in the next community heading west of here, Natashquan, I discovered their shoreline was protected years ago. But they're a much larger community, and are connected to the provincial highway network (here, in Kegaska, we are not).

Six years ago the local committee here got a federal grant to build shoreline structures to protect just part of the shoreline - they did not extend it far enough for it to be of any great effect. Maybe we can get it extended.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 02:54:31 PM »
El Niño means 2007 likely to be hottest year on record

Global temperatures will rise to their highest levels ever recorded this year, according to scientists at the Met Office. They believe there is a 60% chance that 2007 temperatures will top the previous hottest year, 1998.

The forecast follows news that the UK experienced the warmest year on record in 2006, with an average temperature of 9.7C - 1.1 degrees celsius above average. The duration of sunshine over the country was 13% higher than average.

The scorching predictions for 2007 are due partly to global warming and partly to a moderate El Niño event. This is a climatic phenomenon focused on the tropical eastern Pacific that affects climate globally and leads to higher temperatures.

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 04:08:00 PM »
1998 was a winter to remember, that's for sure. Except for a week or so after the ice storm, there was no winter to speak of. It was the year my first son was born, right on Black Friday in fact - but our region was just outside the black triangle that was affected the most.

This winter seems similar. Some rain and fog out there, and if the temperature drops and the rain holds, another ice storm is conceivable. It was foggy most of the day, but now it's windy and that has cleared the fog away.

I was in Winnipeg for a few weeks and sadly, it seems that global warming is a good thing there. We could go out and walk and be comfortable, which is not normal for Winnipeg around Christmas. There was a lovely snowfall on New Year's Eve.

But the impending environmental disaster is Lake Winnipeg. It's such a shallow and muddy lake to start with, and with warmer temperatures and pressures from the hog farms in southern Manitoba, the city itself and whatever the hell the Americans are doing further south, I'm afraid it's showing signs of stress. Some have said it's dying.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 05:22:36 PM »
I was living on the island of Harrington Harbour in 1998, and that winter was a normal one - very cold, and lots of snow. The past two winters have given us a lot of snow, but not a great period of extreme cold weather as in the past. Right now, our snow is melting, there's some rain in the forecast, followed by a little snow, and the temps are going down and up daily. Weird. So far, the winter of 2006 - 2007 here has been quite mild, although we did have a week of -25C to -29C windchill, but very little snow. I hate winter - I hope it stays relatively mild here all winter.

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
Re: Global Warming
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 10:29:01 PM »
Quote from: Toedancer
Arborman, for you and others looking for another way.

Well, for the capitalists among us, I can't help but think the deniers are digging their own graves.  They have managed to convince even themselves that a process which is clearly under way is not happening.  For those of us who have a healthy respect for reality, that can be a competitive advantage.

That said, I have the business sense of a fruitfly.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 01:26:26 PM »
   We find ourselves facing two futures, one unthinkable and the other currently unimaginable

Alex Steffen

The world needs changing fast and Alex Steffen of Seattle hopes in order to do that we will embrace innovation and new ways of thinking and that we will not wait for government or big business to do the work for us.

Environmental sustainability, human rights and eradicating poverty, these are the core values of bright green environmentalists like Steffen.

Author Alex Steffen shares some of the ideas he's gathered from all over the world in his big new book published by Abrams (with a foreword by Al Gore) World Changing: A Users Guide to the 21st Century.

You can also check out the web site at http//:http://www.worldchanging. com

Hot Type with Alex Steffen airs on Saturday, January 6, at 5:30 p.m. ET,
repeats - Sunday January 7, 12:30 p.m

I am so so glad I saw this show. It gave me so much hope. I did not know I was a dark greener; but am easing into bright greener very well. I loved hearing how laying out criticism is not going to get us anywhere, that it was time WE all took this into our own hands. I can't seem to get onto the website and of course I'd love to own the book (World Changing) but I know it will be very expensive. If you can get onto the website please let me know. We have 10 years people, at the MOST.

http://www.cbc.ca/hottype/

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 06:43:58 PM »
I got to it through googling; this link works (ETA the web address on cbc had a space and the colon was in the wrong place):

http://www.worldchanging.com/

ETA: Amazon.ca has it at $31.65 Canadian, below the list price of $47.95.
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 07:57:24 PM »
Thanks so much Holly. My  new heroes, Canada has no rep.  :(

http://wggan.org/article.php?list=type&type=29

ETA - oh please goddess, pls. don't let a may supporter see this.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 12:09:31 AM »
the spring-like weather is fooling frogs into hopping around and singing for mates when they should be frozen in the mud, conserving energy.

"Now it's so warm they've actually come out and they're calling, thinking it's spring," Storey said. "Couldn't be wronger, unfortunately."

For me personally and I know for many of you, we're gonna be busy this spring helping all sorts of creatures. I knew I heard frogs the other night when I was out, but wasn't sure. That was the night of the heavy fog and ridiculously balmy weather.

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2007 ... rnate.html

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2007, 06:14:26 PM »
John Bennett of the Climate Change Network was on the Newman show tonight. I've summarized his points:

- industry so far has ignored climate change and emissions in Canada
- public needs to keep pressure on politicians to stick to this issue or it will die
- all of us need to reduce energy use to reduce emissions
- every factory in Canada needs to be updated to be more energy efficient and that in itself will be a major job creation
- The EnergyGuide program cancelled by the Cons lowered emissions - it was a great program and needs to be returned
- Kyoto targets are reachable, Mr. Harper, it's just a matter of political will
-we need to be like California and take extreme measures to reduce emissions in the auto sector and all industry
- will push for us to put in place an 'adopt an MP' program to monitor the progress of every MP on environmental issues

Then, Jeff Walker of Decima Research came on:

- climate change now tops health care as the main issue for Canadians for the first time ever
- Katrina woke us up
- Green Party perceived by the public as No. 1 on the environment, Libs and NDP second, Cons far behind
- what we've heard so far from everyone is mostly sound bites, no substance
- public is okay with spending money to reduce climate change, especially those 50+ who want their children and grandchildren to be able to breathe the air and live comfortably - it's a legacy issue for the 55+

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2007, 12:00:35 AM »
Lest We Forget: Day had to delete sections of his site re: climate change.

Remember this?

Day's online musings deleted -
Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day was ordered to remove an embarrassing comical commentary that ridiculed the science behind global warming from his personal website to avoid embarrassing his government about its real views on climate change, critics said Wednesday.

''Apparently, the ministry of truth is still alive and well in Canada,'' said John Bennett, executive director of Climate Action Network, a coalition of environmental groups. ''Clearly, this government is perfectly willing to try to erase its past in order to fool us in the future.''

Day stirred up controversy last week because of an article posted Dec. 1 on his website, http://www.stockwellday.com, in which he ridiculed former U.S. vice-president Al Gore's current crusade against global warming.

In the article, reprinted in newspapers in his Okanagan-Coquihalla, B.C. riding, Day joked he was ''begging for Big Al's Glacial Melt,'' because of recent snow storms and cold weather in Western Canada.

But the offending article, along with all other commentary posted by Day since he became a cabinet minister were removed from the site by the end of the week.

Officials at Day's office had no explanation.

''Were they (articles) there before?'' wrote Melisa Leclerc, Day's director of communications, in an e-mail. ''I hadn't noticed.''

With Schwartzy coming up here I just thought it prudent to mention this big change in attitude.

I Think Ottawa Citzen

Oh that was on his site on Dec. 21 just before Christmas.

Return To TAT