Author Topic: Israel plans nuclear strike on Iran  (Read 12891 times)

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Israel plans nuclear strike on Iran
« on: January 07, 2007, 09:15:14 AM »
Yowza. Bold is mine.
Israel 'has plan for nuclear strike on Iran'

by Marie Woolf

Global Research, January 7, 2007
The Independent

Israel has drawn up secret plans to use low-yield nuclear weapons to knock out Iran's uranium enrichment facilities, it was claimed last night.

According to a report in The Sunday Times, two Israeli air force squadrons are training to use nuclear "bunker busting" bombs to demolish Iran's heavily guarded enrichment programme. Israeli military commanders are said to believe that conventional strikes may not be sufficient to wipe out Iran's enrichment facilities, some of which are built beneath 70ft of concrete and rock.

Under the plans conventional laser-guided bombs would open tunnels into the targets and then mini nuclear weapons would be fired, exploding deep underground. The nuclear-tipped, bunker-busting bombs would only be used if a conventional attack was ineffective, or if the US, which also wants to halt Iran's nuclear programme, fails to act. The leaking of the "plans" may well be designed to apply pressure on the US.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php? ... cleId=4359

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 02:13:01 PM »
UPDATE: The Reporter Who Cried Wolf?

PJM Middle East Editor Allison Kaplan Sommer reports:

Anyone reading the Sunday Times story and is waiting for the nukes to start dropping any moment can take a deep breath and relax. There are several reasons to doubt that such an attack is truly imminent or even imaginable.

First and foremost - one must consider the source of this story. The Sunday Times journalist in question Uzi Mahnaimi, is a controversial figure, who co-authored a book with Bassam Abu Sharif, former senior adviser to Yasser Arafat and PLO press officer.

While some may believe he has actual military sources in Israel who use him to leak stories that won’t make it past censors, others think he is used by foreign agents to push stories that embarrass Israel. Still others go farther, calling him unprintable names and charging that that despite the fact he works for a mainstream British newspaper, his sources makes Jamil Hussein look like the White House press secretary.

One thing is clear: Mahnaimi makes a regular habit of reporting that Israel is about to attack Iran. If his reporting was accurate, Iranian nuclear facilities would already be a smoking ruin – not once, but multiple times.

http://pajamasmedia.com/

But I have heard the U.S. is leaking information to soften up it's citizens for another terrorist attack. Wolf Blitzer (the most annoying, grating, wanna-slap-him voice in America is helping this along.)
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 02:20:30 PM »
Global Research? The same outfit that carried this story?  :lol:

Quote:

So who's fighting for Canada?

There is only one party that has a solid sovereigntist agenda - the Canadian Action Party. David Orchard is also trying to recruit followers in an attempt to turn the Liberal party into a sovereigntist party. But these political efforts, even if one succeeds, will be too late. This is because the North American Union will already be in place before the next Canadian national election. Clearly, another strategy is necessary if we are to save our country.

:rotfl:

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 02:50:28 PM »
Here is the bigger picture, at Galloping Beaver.

I doubt it is a new thing that Israel has developed plans to bomb Iranian facilities. They would have had those for some time, and they would be keeping them updated constantly.

If there is real noise coming from Israel, then I assume that yes, it's propaganda meant to put pressure on some audiences in the U.S.

I'm quite sure that the Cheney party intend to bomb Iran, but there are divisions in Washington, so there is a lot of game-playing going on right now.

Since I don't see any evidence of serious diplomacy underway, I'm still betting that the U.S. will attack Iran this year.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 03:36:46 PM »
Quote from: skdadl
Since I don't see any evidence of serious diplomacy underway, I'm still betting that the U.S. will attack Iran this year.

An article written by this guy

Ray Close was a top CIA analyst in the Near East Division. He is now a member of Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity. He can be reached at close@counterpunch.org

at Counterpunch validates your bet.

http://www.counterpunch.org/close08262006.html
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 12:23:40 PM »
Washington intelligence, military and foreign policy circles are abuzz today with speculation that the President, yesterday or in recent days, sent a secret Executive Order to the Secretary of Defense and to the Director of the CIA to launch military operations against Syria and Iran.

The President may have started a new secret, informal war against Syria and Iran without the consent of Congress or any broad discussion with the country.  snip

UPDATE: This exchange today in the Senate Foreign Relations Committee between Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Joseph Biden and Senator Chuck Hagel with Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice is full of non-denial denials and evasive answers to Biden's query about the President's ability to authorize military operations against forces within Iran and Syria:
 Exchange follows.

http://www.thewashingtonnote.com/archives/001869.php

I guess it's time for a remake of the old Hey Hey LBJ.......

Hey Hey Bush and Cheney........ (oh and maybe Rummey on the sidelines)

ETA - sorry I know the title is Israel plans nuclear strike against Iran, but America striking first is on Israel's behalf. Further along in the comments is a link to China telling the U.S. not to strike Iran, doing oil deals, $16 Billion worth.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 12:37:11 PM »
I have posted this before and it is as true for Iran as it was for Saddam .

This comes from the same "globalsearch" that previous references have.

http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/CLA410A.html

Apparently the Mulahs of Terhan are too busy torturing and killing Canadian journalists to fix a leaky pipe - but they plan to sell their oil:

using a euro-denominated international oil-trading mechanism

As Churchill put it: "Up with this I shall not put!"
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 12:43:31 PM »
As Churchill put it: "Up with this I shall not put!"

:lol:   Good old Churchill.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2007, 05:35:04 PM »
Yeah -- that was when Saddam signed his own death warrant -- when he started talking about dealing in euros.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 09:20:02 PM »
Sheesh, by that standard then Venezuela is next!

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 06:30:53 PM »
Have just been over at Ha'aretz. The have an interesting article about the violence resulting from what is protrayed as the repain of a footbridge,

Since the collapse of the Mugrabi ramp in 2004, experts in security, engineering and antiquities have been called upon to come up with alternatives, in discussions coordinated by the Prime Minister's Office but there was no direct flow of information between the prime minister and defense minister's bureaus. The Prime Minister's Office said it believes the defense minister's bureau was being constantly updated on the discussions by the Mossad and the Shin Bet security service

They  talk with the "defense minister's bureaus", the Mossad and the Shin Bet.

Now maybe I am missing something here - but would it not make a lot pf sense to speak to some Islamic leaders? The Mosque involved is the big #3 in the pantheon of Mosques and they are a tad involved.

No wonder they are suspicious of Israeli motives. Oddly enough the very Orthodox Mayor Uri Lupolianski's has shut down construction - perhaps he can influence the Federal leadership to stop their mean, petty and racist treatment of some of their citizens.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

transplant

• View Profile
Re: Israel plans nuclear strike on Iran
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 12:26:45 AM »
U.S. Says Exercise by Israel Seemed Directed at Iran

NY Times -  Israel carried out a major military exercise earlier this month that American officials say appeared to be a rehearsal for a potential bombing attack on Iran’s nuclear facilities.

Several American officials said the Israeli exercise appeared to be an effort to develop the military’s capacity to carry out long-range strikes and to demonstrate the seriousness with which Israel views Iran’s nuclear program.

More than 100 Israeli F-16 and F-15 fighters participated in the maneuvers, which were carried out over the eastern Mediterranean and over Greece during the first week of June, American officials said.

The exercise also included Israeli helicopters that could be used to rescue downed pilots. The helicopters and refueling tankers flew more than 900 miles, which is about the same distance between Israel and Iran’s uranium enrichment plant at Natanz, American officials said. ...
Hope has met reality

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 01:45:51 AM »
American officials say appeared to be a rehearsal  Uh-huh, like the Americans don't KNOW what it was. Murdoch the war propagandist will be thrilled.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 07:14:08 AM »
I'll bet the Greeks just loved those "exercises."

This is all so terribly familiar. And it just drags on and on and on.

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

Return To TAT