Author Topic: Super Easy & Tasty  (Read 2264 times)

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
Super Easy & Tasty
« on: January 09, 2007, 07:01:28 PM »
Everyone likes to 'chef out' every once in awhile, but most of us just want to eat a meal that fills us up, tastes good and won't kill us (short or long term).

So, here's a thread for the super simple but tasty & healthy recipes.  I'll start.

Toasted Almond & Broccoli Soup

1.5 lbs broccoli (about 2 mid size flowers)
3/4 cup crushed almonds
1/2 cup skim milk
3 cups water
salt & pepper

Spread the almonds evenly over a cookie sheet and toast in the oven at 325 for about 5 minutes - until brown.

Meanwhile, chop the broccoli into little bits, then steam in a saucepan for about 6 minutes - until soft.

Take almonds out of oven.  Throw 3/4 of the toasted almonds into a pot (or a blender first if you don't have a hand blender) with the broccoli, milk, water, salt & pepper.  Blend until smoothish.

Heat.  Sprinkle the remaining almonds on as a garnish.

All told, 15 minutes tops.  Simple, delicious, healthy and ready quick.  Also handy for that old broccoli in the fridge.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

lagatta

• View Profile
Super Easy & Tasty
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 07:28:35 PM »
Here is something one always winds up eating in Italy, late in the evening: Spaghetti aglio e olio (e peperoncino) - spaghetti with garlic, olive oil and hot red pepper. http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes ... eolio.html I often add fresh ginger, juilienned.

Of course if you want it to be healthy, use organic, wholegrain spaghetti, spaghettini or similar long pasta.  Don't exceed 100g per person, except for athletes and people doing hard manual labour, and serve a green salad.

There are also many good things served on bread, or toast, such as soft goat cheese grilled until it is a bit golden (once again, with a bit of green).

Pizza is also simple to make, but takes a bit more planning as you have to make up the dough beforehand. Everybody likes it though.

Psst, a very simple thing near here is called... go to East/southeast Asian shop (I think mine is actually Sino-Vietnamese) buy bbq duck for most reasonable price. Have the guy (usually, though in one place it was a gril) cut it up into bite-sized pieces. Serve with such things as rice vermicelli, watercress, etc...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Super Easy & Tasty
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 07:05:45 AM »
If you like interesting sausages -- we're not talking North American breakfast sausages here, but nice big Italian sausages or Mexican chorizos, something like that:

Brown whole sausages in a grill or frying pan until sides are nicely scorched. (Yes, I know this is unhealthy, but you're already eating sausages, eh?)

Remove sausages to a board; let cool for a bit, then slice into wide-ish pieces, maybe an inch wide, maybe a little less.

Return slices to the pan, cut sides down; brown one side, then turn.

Add one cup of water; bring to a simmer, and scrape all the browny bits into the water.

Add one coarsely cut up red sweet pepper and one yellow or green; sprinkle in as many crushed chili seeds as you like (I like a lot). Simmer for a minute or two, until peppers are warmed through, and then add a cup of chopped fresh parsley.

Stir briefly, until parsley wilts a bit.

Serve over rice vermicelli. (NB: To cook rice vermicelli, put the dried vermicelli in a large bowl; pour over it boiling water to cover [poke stray threads down into the water with tongs]; in a couple of minutes, it will be ready to drain and eat.)

Return To TAT