Author Topic: CBC "Little Mosque on the Prairie"  (Read 29458 times)

radiorahim

• View Profile
CBC "Little Mosque on the Prairie"
« on: January 10, 2007, 07:46:33 PM »
The premiere of "Little Mosque on the Prairie" was last night...but it's being repeated tonight in it's regular time slot ... 8 PM Wednesdays.

I thought it was a hilarious piece of satire.

It's a sitcom where a community of Muslims living in a small Saskatchewan town are trying to setup a Mosque to serve the community.   Like good satire...it takes potshots at everyone.

Here's the programme's website:

http://www.littlemosque.ca
Free software, Free society

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 08:03:43 PM »
Perhaps an incompatibility problem (Mac...) but I go to the site, see an Arabesque doorway looking out on a prairie scene ... and that's it. Nowhere to click to get anything else.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 08:22:03 PM »
In case you missed it, we talked about this show in page one of the "We need a 'What's Happening' thread". Nevertheless, I'm glad there's a new thread just on the show. I hope we keep this thread going through all eight episodes. :age:

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 08:39:27 PM »
It sucked BB, no? You actually liked it? I didn't laugh once, I could have written the script, like a soap opera I knew every line before it was said, so contrived it was.  :lol:
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 08:44:42 PM »
The first time I saw it I was slightly disappointed, my expectations were so high (from the CBC promos). However, I watched it again two hours later last night, and just an hour ago tonight. It got better, because I think the first time I wasn't paying attention to what was actually being said. I was trying to guess the next move. If you relax a bit, watch it again, and leave your expectations outside, then it'll be great.  :)

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 08:53:56 PM »
Well I'm glad you got something out of it BB, me? I'm not watching it again.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

chester

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2007, 09:38:38 AM »
well it was just a standard sitcom like corner gas or any other so with that it mind....it was ok.  i like shiela mccarthy, she's a good actor.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 09:44:06 AM »
Quote from: chester
well it was just a standard sitcom like corner gas or any other so with that it mind....it was ok.  i like shiela mccarthy, she's a good actor.

I like the white bread cucumber sandwiches she was serving up... although the goat curry was also interesting (I've never had goat, although folks occasionally get my goat). :age:

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 09:53:07 AM »
I love goat. I used to eat it at an Ethiopian restaurant in London, On. I prefer my cucumber with sour cream, vinegar and onions.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2007, 10:21:01 AM »
Sorry for the thread drift. I'm on a bit of a bland diet due to high cholesterol and a history of ulcers (goes with my former occupation), so I take my white bread cucumber sandwiches with just lowfat margarine or lowfat mayo, and the cucumbers peeled and sliced thick, with just a very tiny sprinkle of salt and pepper. I love the stuff. I also like peanut butter and cucumber sandwiches.  :age:

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2007, 10:32:41 AM »
Boom Boom wrote: I also like peanut butter and cucumber sandwiches.

To quote Jackie on Cyberchase: " OOOOOO,OOOOO and double OOOOOO."

radiorahim

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2007, 10:11:31 PM »
Perhaps an incompatibility problem (Mac...) but I go to the site, see an Arabesque doorway looking out on a prairie scene ... and that's it. Nowhere to click to get anything else.

My apologies.    I didn't test the site before linking to it.  I did try it after my post. It makes use of "Flashplayer 9" and Linux users are pretty much "SOL" because Flash is only"officially" out up to version 7.  (Flash 9 is still in Beta).

I read something on Adobe's site that Flashplayer 9 for MacOSX is still rather buggy.   There was one problem mentioned where you do the upgrade from Flash 7 to 9 on a Mac and it doesn't actually do it.

After seeing the problem I e-mailed the CBC to complain.

If it's not working on your Mac you might want to complain as well.

(I've never had goat, although folks occasionally get my goat).

Used to buy it from a roti shop near where I worked from time to time...but haven't had any in quite awhile.

I guess sometimes whether I see things as funny or not depends on my mood.   Guess it just tickled the funny bone at the time...but I didn't watch it the second time ;)   Sitcoms often use overblown stereotypes and "Little  Mosque" certainly does this.
Free software, Free society

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 07:41:12 PM »
I just watched episode #2, and don't want to give it away in case you're waiting to see it, but please see it if you can.

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2007, 07:46:27 PM »
Oh good, I was disappointed when they repeated the first show on Monday, instead of a new episode.

ETA, so I guess this episode will be repeated next Monday.
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2007, 07:48:11 PM »
Yes - Spector on babble said it was because of competition from the Golden Globes and "24". CBC doesn't want to lose the ratings race, apparently. :roll:  But, tonight's episode is well worth the wait, in my opinion - it was excellent.

Return To TAT