Author Topic: CBC "Little Mosque on the Prairie"  (Read 29460 times)

Caissa

• View Profile
CBC "Little Mosque on the Prairie"
« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2007, 12:15:32 PM »
Eric Petersen was my favourite character on Streetlegal. Corner Gas is usually good, Saskatchewan meets Seinfeld, but last night just didn't resonate.

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2007, 02:57:15 PM »
I watched the most recent episode of this and I've made up my mind. It's lame.

The doctor thinks of going out on a date with a non-Muslim and they all go nuts? We're supposed to believe that a woman with a medical degree and who therefore must be what? 26 years old at least has not dated before? And if she's a good Muslim, she's a virgin?

The play between the Imam and the doctor was totally predictable.

I wanted to like it.

I want Wonderland back.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2007, 03:00:59 PM »
I was disappointed by last night's episode. The show is portraying Muslims as rather conservative, I think. In contrast to the Anglican priest, who comes across as quite liberal.

ETA: Removed the dumb question I posed at the end. Don't want to get into stereotyping.

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2007, 03:07:37 PM »
I haven't ever seen an episode of it, but I did see a part of the first episode on YouTube, and decided it was lame from the get-go.  My mother, who has watched a few episodes, agrees that it is lame, and actually comes from the lame school of Canadian comedy, whereas she usually likes corner gas.  

Little Mosque::Corner Gas = Air Farce::22 Minutes (though I haven't seen 22 Minutes in over a year so it could be lame now).

However, seeing as I have female religious Muslim medical relatives, that plot as described seems completely believable to me.  Like, totally believable.  Except for the dating of the non-Muslim man.  That's a little off.

In terms of things like this---dating and marriage---if anything off-script ever happens, it is either a major family blowup, or probably far more commonly, not mentioned and not seen.  It sometimes amuses me when non-Muslim westerners are incredulous that most people actually stick to the script most of the time.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2007, 03:15:56 PM »
'Little Mosque' is about as representative of Muslim culture or life in small-town Saskatchewan as Les Bougon is of urban Qu├ębecois families living on social assistance.  

Both are sit-coms, based on stereotypes and cheap laffs.  Some of the storylines may be original and provocative but most of their material is meant to be entertaining in that 'aim for the lowest common denominator' so sponsors will buy advertising spots.

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2007, 03:37:50 PM »
Local CBC fixture, Al Rae, is one of two writers on the show (the other being the woman who created it), and his comic routines are generally hit and miss. He does run a decent comedy festival but he certainly is not the funniest in any line-up.

I really wanted to like this little comedy but it does seem to suffer from poor writing, directing and acting -- the trifecta. It's only saving grace is the promotional muscle behind it and the clever title. I have to say that I do LOVE the opening theme music.

Oh how I miss This Is Wonderland  :(
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Return To TAT