Author Topic: Recalls | Consumer Warnings  (Read 4081 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Recalls | Consumer Warnings
« on: October 13, 2008, 07:34:39 AM »
Oct. 12/2008
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is recalling no-name brand all-purpose flour because the product may contain excessively high levels of folic acid, iron, niacin, riboflavin and thiamine.

Four people have reported having reactions after consuming the product.

The affected products were sold in 2.5 kg (5.5 lb.) bags bearing lot codes that start with 125J. The UPC code is 0 60383 01375 2.

The items have been distributed throughout Ontario by No Frills, Cash and Carry, Freshmart, Fortinos, Zehrs, The Real Canadian Superstore and Loblaws.

When dry, the flour has a normal, light beige colour. It may turn yellow-orange when mixed with water.
http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/516421
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Re: Recalls | Consumer Warnings
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 07:53:13 AM »
I wonder how people figured out that it was the flour. If I were having a reaction, flour wouldn't be the first thing I'd question. And then, as the commenter on-site says, I put things like flour into a large jar as soon as I bring them home -- I don't keep the bags, so I wouldn't know whether I had the dangerous lot numbers.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 08:54:51 AM »
Yes not keeping the packaging is a problem, however in this case the turning orange might be a give away.  :shock:

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2008, 07:33:07 AM »
If tou live in Toronto you might want to curb that chocolate urge

Hersey's chocolate which was recalled in 2006 then stolen from the depot where they were to be destroyed are now being sold in TO

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2008/1 ... candy.html

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 01:47:19 PM »
More tainted meat
OTTAWA -- The Canadian Food Inspection Agency and Mariposa Meats are warning the public not to consume Old Style brand Thin Sliced Honey Ham because the product may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.

The affected product, Old Style brand Thin Sliced Honey Ham is sold in 450 gram packages bearing a best before date of 08NO17 (November 17, 2008) and UPC 6 28292 50001 7.

CITY

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 09:55:11 PM »
Saskatchewan, home of universal health care totally CAVES Is anyone talking about it? Are the NDP?
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 10:07:02 PM »
Try checking the provincial NDP website (http://www.saskndp.com/news) over the next few days. Since the Globe article is only a little over 10 minutes old, I think it's fair to give them a little time to respond.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 12:55:22 PM »
Maple Leaf Foods recalls 1,100 cases of wieners

I know we don't eat them, but there are parents with kids here, who go to B-day parties. I never served hot dogs at kids b-day parties, but in this recession they may make a comeback, dunno.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

RP.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 01:19:41 PM »
Is anyone else as disturbed as I am at the Maple Leaf commercials with the lab technicians, esp. the one where the lady picks up the wiener she's testing and just takes a bite out of it?

deBeauxOs

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 11:56:11 AM »
More toxic stuff produced in China and shipped to North America.
Homeowners from several communities in B.C.'s Lower Mainland have joined the flood of callers to a U.S. consumer group investigating Chinese drywall that has allegedly begun to sicken North Americans.

Thomas Martin, president of America's Watchdog, says that in the past two weeks about a dozen Lower Mainland callers have all reported experiencing the same nose bleeds, breathing problems and allergy-type symptoms that have affected homeowners across the U.S. ...

"This type of drywall was produced with materials that emit toxic hydrogen sulphide gas and other sulphide gases," says a copy of one home inspection report obtained Canwest News Service on an affected Florida home where Chinese drywall was installed. "These sulphide gases are also alleged to cause serious health conditions and illnesses, such as shortness of breath, dizziness, headaches, fatigue, insomnia, eye irritations and respiratory difficulties."

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 06:13:35 PM »
This isn't a recall but a health warning to our friends north of Toronto.
Officials warn of Hep A exposure in Newmarket/Tim Hortons

The health warning is targeting customers who ate at the donut shop between Thursday April 2 and Wednesday, April 22.

Health officials are holding a vaccine clinic on Monday, April 27 from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the auditorium of the Newmarket Health Centre at 194 Eagle Street.

Sheesh the flu and this and so many other things sure is taking TORTURE off the headlines.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 02:16:44 PM »
Although many B'n'Rers cook their meals from scratch, when they can, who among us hasn't used a shortcut in a pinch?

I was served this product once at a friend's house and was surprised by the intense saltiness and nasty texture; I prefer the Casbah and Zatain rice mixes to which I add more veggies.
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is warning people with allergies to milk proteins not to consume certain Uncle Ben's Bistro Express rice products.

The six-packs affected by a recall do not declare milk in the ingredient listings on the outer box. But the ingredient listings on individual pouches in the boxes are labelled with milk ingredients, where present.

pogge

• View Profile
    • Peace, order and good government, eh?
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 04:04:20 PM »
It's possible that only product sold in the U.S. is involved here. But just in case.
Tylenol Recall Broadens; Includes Extra Strength, Benadryl
A Tylenol recall issued last year by the Johnson & Johnson unit of McNeil Consumer Healthcare because of chemical contamination has been expanded for a second time to include Benadryl Allergy Ultratablets and Extra Strength Tylenol.

The latest recall includes four lots of Benadryl Allergy Ultratab tablets in 100 count bottles sold in the U.S. with lot numbers AJA008, ADA194, ABA022 and ABA264, and one lot of Tylenol Extra Strength Rapid Release Gel Cap with lot number ASA202.
More at the link.

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 04:42:15 PM »
Wow.  Messed up Tylenol.  That almost makes me nostalgic.

Remember cyanide-laced Tylenol, back in the day?  Before that, jars and bottles and boxes were simply closed.  After that they had to be sealed, taped, covered in plastic and otherwise shown to be "tamper proof".  Thanks to one person and their desire to kill total strangers, we've also ended up adding tonnes of extra plastic to just about everything we buy.

Laundry bleach is now tamper-proof, presumably in case any sicko wants to adulterate it with Hallowe'en candy or something.
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

Return To TAT