Author Topic: How come we don't have a football thread?  (Read 44178 times)

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
How come we don't have a football thread?
« on: January 21, 2007, 05:14:41 PM »
OK, I've got the NFL championship playoff on the telly in the other room. I wander out there occasionally to see what's happening. I used to watch football when I was a teenager. I liked the bums. My fave was Jim Brown. Brown is a name in my family and there are lots of Browns who play football. I call them my cousins. Football players have some wonderful names.

Anyhoo, this playoff is between Chicago and New Orleans. It's being played in Chicago, where it is now snowing. Football weather!

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 05:47:46 PM »
Got it on here too.  Bears have just scored a TD to go up by 11.   Snow!  tee hee!  Haven't watched hardly at all this year but was pleased to see the Steelers win the Super Bowl last year.  

Jim Brown.  Retired in his prime.  Went on the act in such notable movies as the Wayan's Bros. "I'm Gonna Get You Sucka." Mentor to Barry Sanders who also retired at the top of his game and has never come back.

You have to admire how the NFL is run in terms of total revenue sharing and the weaker teams always get the best draft picks/schedule so you don't get the perpetual have/have nots you see in other sports.  Obviously having all the broadcast rights national rather than local makes this feasible rather than any great act of altruism on behalf of the owners.  It is interesting to note that the Packers are publicly owned.

I think I will join Croghan, John_D, Caissa & others and cheer on the Patriots.  Peyton Manning is annoying as are most second generation  pro athletes.  Not unlike second generation politicians.  Do sort of like coach Tony Dungy though.

Go spandex gods.  Go corner backs.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 06:02:45 PM »
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 06:42:51 PM »
Da bears have just scored again so I have left the TV for the satisfactions of the blog.

Peyton Manning is annoying as are most second generation pro athletes

Archie, Peyton's father was one of my favs when he played for New Orleans. He never presided over a winning season, but, when anyone asked any of the great QBs of the time (and that was prime time for QBs) they all agreed that Archie was the #1. His problem was that it is hard to control a game when most of the other team's offensive line is sitting on your chest.

15 Men on a dead Man(ings) chest,
Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of Gatoraid.

(Yes, Payton does seem a bit of a snot, dosn't he?)

Pro football is just that - proteams depend upon the money invested. NO never really opened their pocket book and so never really had a competitive team. In that, they were like the Toronto Maple Leafs who had an owner who had a 100% sell out every game and so could not see why he should spend any money on better players.

Their (NO) best season was had when they imported a running back from Northern Saskatchewan, no less. When he, knowing he was responsible for most of their best season (7 win, 7 losses) asked for more money they treated him so badly he left and went back to Sask.

Now, with the salary cap the Playing Field is leveled - unlike the NY Yankees, who hedge around the baseball cap - it works and the magic of parity has been visited upon the league. Now it is HOW you spend the money, and HOW MUCH.

and now, PHEW .... the National Football League foolishness is over - time for the American League. Perhaps the game will not be as exciting, as (the dreaded) Colts are a very good team indeed, and New England is ...is .... reminds me of the Leonard Cohen line:
"and Israel enflamed us both,
Just like the shy one at some orgy."

Where the essence of baseball is the pitcher vs the batter .... a replay of a showdown on the dusty streets of Dodge. To excell in football you must be a team member ...... Dan Moreno of the Dolphins famously took his offensive line to dinner after the season every year - he knew he could not be the terrific player he was without his team around him.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

fern hill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 06:17:11 PM »
Bets?

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 06:29:18 PM »
croghan27 will bet two nights working at the Good Shepard Shelter for the Homeless that the Colts (much as I hate to say it) beat Chicago by 10 points.

I despise da Bears too, but only more so.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

fern hill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2007, 06:35:56 PM »
OK, someone remind me. Weren't the Colts formerly of Baltimore? And didn't the owner use the usual buy us a stadium or we're outta here and then did take them away? And didn't Baltimore mourn their loss to the point of actually joining the CFL in that silly US expansion? (Though, of course, it did give us the all-time worst rendition of O Canada, in which the singer kinda got lost and wound up in O Tanenbaum. Ooo, I'm giggling remembering that. [Of course, then there was the Canadian flag carried upside-down by some military 'colour' guard {what does that mean?} during the World Serious. In Atlanta was it?])

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2007, 07:30:10 PM »
When the Colts were in Baltimore they had a most unpleasent owner. They had the best QB in football, Bert Jones; the best coach, Don Shula and a terrific running back (Lydell Mitchell). They all left or retired because of this Robert Irsay's meddlings.

When the city of Baltimore refused to give (yes, not advance, not offer loan guarantees - GIVE) upgrades to the stadium he planned to leave town. (The upgrades were not to increase crowd size, they were to provide more luxury boxes for the movers and shakers) Baltimore went after a legal restraining order to keep the team there - it took effect on  one day .. but that night, Irsay called his good buddy that owner MayFlower Movers and magically in the dead of night 40 or so trucks arrived at the stadium to ship the team off to Indianopolus.

The deal to bring the Colts to Indianapolis came together in late March 1984 and Irsay and Hudnut arranged for the franchise to move from Baltimore immediately, and secretly, overnight, before the official announcement on March 29.

Baltimore did indeed join the CFL with the Stallions. The only team outside of Canada to ever win a Grey Cup. (They later morphed into the what is now the Montreal team.) They were by far the best American franchise in the league.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/cflinamerica/balt.php

Robert died and his son Jim now runs the show - it appears his is somewhat easier to get along with than his father.

fern hill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2007, 07:33:02 PM »
Thanks, Croghan. That fills in the gaps in my shitty memory.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2007, 07:42:10 PM »
Thanks, Croghan. That fills in the gaps in my shitty memory

fh, I have seen you blog - you have a mind and a memory I can only admire.

John_D

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2007, 08:04:58 PM »
To be fair to Irsay, the sudden move was brought on by the Maryland state legislature passing a law that would have allowed them to seize the team under eminent domain.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2007, 08:22:55 PM »
Ain't capitalists wunnerful.

"would have allowed them to seize the team under eminent domain."
and no considerations of any elected body about public good is going to take it away.

Course then he offs to the Indianapolis Hoosier Dome (RCA Dome now) that had been built with public monies just for that very purpose. Socializing the risk, while making capital out of the profit - now there is a sure formula for success.

The city of Balitmore, having learned its' lesson in free enterprise economics, financed the desired improvements to lure the Cleveland Browns and Art Modell  to the city. In a terrific display of loyality, Modell moved. (Ironically the same scenario was playing out there.)

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 05:55:30 AM »
Well Baltimore ......er....er... Indianapolus finally did it.

Manning got the MVP - he was good, not terrific. Brian Urlacher, playing for the losing side, was far more dominant for my money.

As I see it (he says segaciously) the best coach won. Sorry, Lovie, your good buddy coached the shit out of you and your Bears - the Colts played to their strengths and played on Chicago's to short comings. Tony Dungy crafted a stragedy that outfoxed your offense and flummixed your defense.

Despite, or maybe because of the weather, it was a very good game - until Hayden returned an interception for a TD, it was anyone's game. Manning is interception prone and a slip by one of his receivers could have changed all.

fern hill

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2007, 08:54:53 AM »
OK, what's up with all the 'first African-American coach' stuff? I'm always amazed at Merkins needing to talk about this. Remember when the Blue Jays were in the World Serious with Cito Gaston as manager? On Merkin telly coverage, they keep putting the camera on him and saying 'Wow, look, he's black' (OK, not exactly like that, but that was the intent).

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
OK, what's up with all the 'first African-American coach' stuff

Its' all in the point of view ..... Lovie Smith, when asked to comment, said the important this was not that two BLACk coaches played off, but two Christian coaches was present.

Return To TAT