Author Topic: How come we don't have a football thread?  (Read 44175 times)

Croghan27

• View Profile
How come we don't have a football thread?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2007, 01:29:14 AM »
It looks like the most fun QB in the NFL, Michael Vick, is in deep doggie poo. He was arrested
on a federal conspiracy charge for his alleged role in a dog fighting venture that operated from a Virginia property owned by the Atlanta Falcons quarterback.

The link above contains the whole story in summery and even the federal indictment.

Vick and his cohorts began purchasing pit bull puppies in late-2001 and would eventually "sponsor" individual dog fights with purses as high as $26,000. In the indictment's most harrowing parts, federal investigators describe what happened to some Bad Newz Kennels dogs that either lost matches or did not perform well in test fights. After a March 2003 loss by a female pit bull, codefendant Purnell Peace, "after consulting with Vick," electrocuted the animal. In April, prosecutors allege, Vick, Peace, and Quanis Phillips, "executed approximately 8 dogs that did not perform well in 'testing' sessions." These animals, the indictment claims, were killed "by various methods, including hanging, drowning, and slamming at least one dog's body to the ground." (18 pages)

I had a gurlfriend in Connecticut - she lived between the two largest dog (greyhound) racing tracks in the US. There they put down thousands of dogs who lose every year. Here is a picture of her, the dog is one she rescued from this constant slaughter. At least they do it in a humain way. She passed away a year after this picture - another reason why 2002 was a bad year.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

deBeauxOs

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2007, 02:53:14 PM »
John Murney's Blog spotted this:
Apparently, beating a dog is less acceptable than beating a woman in some quarters.  This is a really interesting commentary on the NFL. Kobrin just kicked the pigskin between the posts with her column

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2007, 05:07:51 PM »
It's deplorable that much of society turns a blind eye to abused women, and it does often seem that being "woman" is the bottom of the barrel designation even amongst "competing" oppressed groups.  And hey, women that hang around pro athletes are either gold diggers or prostitutes so obviously they were asking for it. :roll:

But-is there some reason every animal abuse story has to devolve into a zero sum debate about people being more important than animals?  Maybe it's just that everytime I''m within earshot of a TV/radio there is Michael Coren (for a family values type that dude sure has lots of jobs) posing the question that if you were driving along & came across a child & a cat on the road, which one would you run over?  That scenario is highly unlikely to be experienced by most people ever.

Good for Kobrin to write about abused women but wish she would do so without stooping to zero sum arguments.  It's actually possible to oppose both spousal abuse and animal cruelty.  For the record, Michael "Ron Mexico" Vick doesn't seem to have a problem with being both an animal abuser and a misogynist:

In 2005, he was sued by a woman who claimed she'd contracted genital herpes from him while he used the pseudonym "Ron Mexico." He settled out of court.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2007, 06:05:06 PM »
Here is the good news:
Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Chris Henry was reinstated on Monday.
Henry, 24, was suspended April 10 for eight games by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell for violating the league's conduct policy with four arrests in 14 months — one of nine Bengals cited by police over that span.
 :D

Here is the bad news:
CINCINNATI (AP) — Receiver Chris Henry allegedly was involved in an altercation with a parking attendant on the eve of rejoining the Cincinnati Bengals from his eight-game suspension.
 :(

Apparently when asked to pay for his parking space - he threw a $5 bill on the ground.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2007, 07:04:53 PM »
Now for the important things in life.

@ 8:15 tonight the (my) New England Patriots play their final game of the season. They have won every game so far so it may be the first 'perfect season' since the '72 Dolphins.

It will be covered by three Networks in the US - CBC, NBC and the NFL Network. There is quite an interesting story about how the coverage came about -
The Patriots are seeking to become only the second team in the modern era to go undefeated in the regular season (the 1972 Miami Dolphins were the other). Until Wednesday, the plan was to show the potentially historic game exclusively on the NFL Network. But the NFL bowed to intense political pressure, notably from 2004 presidential hopeful Sen. John F. Kerry (D-Mass.), earlier this week and agreed to simulcast the game on CBS and NBC, which are already league broadcast partners.

The unprecedented move means that, instead of the game being shown in about 50 million homes, it will now be seen in 113 million. The game is the first three-network simulcast in league history and the first simulcast of an NFL game since 1967, when CBS and NBC televised Super Bowl I.

Belichick, the New England coach, and a man noted for his dour demean even quipped:
"It will be like the State of the Union address," an unusually cheery Patriots coach Bill Belichick said. "You can flip to every channel and see it."
This, just after pointing out he does not plan to watch the TV coverage.  :wink:

In Ottawa it will be on Channels 7, 13, 30 and 41. The bad news is that Brian Gumbel will be the commentator, a man of vast ability: able to take the excitement out of anything.  :annoyed:

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2007, 11:49:13 PM »
They did it.

The Patriots win 16 in a season.

Fortunately Cris Collinsworth, who had actually played the game, managed to calm down Bryant 'and the Patriots again take the field for the first time', Gumbel.  :roll:   (I see I misspelled his name before.  :oops: )

It was (is) a terrific thing to have done - it is not history other than being notable in the a league. The best comment was made by Collinsworth when Randy Moss received a penelty for celebrating too much after scoring a TD. He observed that: "It is not everyday that three league records are broken on one play - I guess we can forgive him for that." (Most TDs thrown in a season by a QB: most TDs receptions by a receiver: most points scored by a team in a season.)

Even Bellichick, the coach, in the post game interview said: "I am happy." three times - as his face looked like his son had borrowed the family car and run over the family dog.

It was a very good game to watch - neither team dominated the other until late in the last quarter when either NE found something or the Giants fell apart.

:football:  Playoffs start next week.   :yay:

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2008, 11:38:30 AM »
One of the class acts of sports announced he was stepping down today.

Marv Levy is expected to step down this week from his position as Buffalo Bills general manager, team sources confirmed Sunday. Levy, 82, has decided he does not want to carry on in his role as the head of the Bills' football operation, given the demands of the job.

Levy, who gave Bill Walch his first football job, coached Montreal (Alouettes) to three CFL Grey Cup appearances and two championships,. He almost became the first coach to win both a Grey Cup and a Superbowl when, as the Buffalo Bills' coach he took them to four Superbowl appearances.

Here is a list of his accomplishments:

The only NFL coach to coach teams that won four straight league or conference championships

Won two CFL championships while head coach of the Montreal Alouettes

Guided the Bills to six division championships (including four consecutive from 1988–1991)

Compiled a 17–5 record (14–5 in the regular season and 3–0 in the post-season) against the winningest coach in NFL history, Don Shula. Levy is the only head coach in NFL history to have a winning record against Shula.

Compiled 143 NFL coaching victories (11th on the all-time list)

One of only 14 coaches to win 100 games with one NFL team

The only coach to compete in four Super Bowls in a row

Retired at the age of 72; tied with George Halas as the oldest head coach in NFL history.

As the old year passes, so does the old order. All too often the 'powers that be' are doctrinaire, stubborn and stiffle innovation. ("It worked in '72, no reason why it won't now."  :rant: ) Levy was the opposite and in doing so garnered the admiration of all he contacted.

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2008, 12:26:37 PM »
So, Croghan, get us up to speed here. I was flipping channels on the telly last night and ran across a prime-time NFL game. What's happening?

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2008, 01:19:37 PM »
Quote from: fern hill
So, Croghan, get us up to speed here. I was flipping channels on the telly last night and ran across a prime-time NFL game. What's happening?

fern - the local croghan is about to desert B'nR and repair to his local TV - this is about to happen (channel 7 & 36) then this. (channel 7 & 14)  :oops:  Just checked - you have to advance the link by yourself, sorry buddy  :hug:

Yesterday there were two very good games ... where Seattle beat Washington (two of the best coaches in the NFL at work here) and Jacksonville beat Pittsburgin one of the most exciting games of any playoffs .. it was not clinched until there was less than a minute left.

Today, right now in fact, Tampa Bay is playing the Giants of New York. I am rather watching Tampa Bay as their QB (Garcia) was Doug Flute's backup when they played for Calgary and I met him.

Later is Tennessee verses San Diego ... I had a chance to go to a Titians game once in Nashville, but had to pass it up (see my entry about my pesky heart :annoyed:  ). I rather liked the team when it was in Houston (Warren Moonwas their Quarter Back)  but after they moved I lost interest.

San Diegois famous for having terrific seasons - then not getting past the first game of the playoffs... last year they were beaten by (the glorious) New England Patriots, so after the best season record in football, they dumped the coach.

They also have a back named LaDainian Tomlinson- the most exciting player in the league.

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2008, 01:23:49 PM »
Oooh, I love football players' names.

When do your glorious Patriots play next? Against whom?

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2008, 04:32:59 PM »
Quote from: fern hill
Oooh, I love football players' names.

Let us now speak of the physics of sweat:
As the faster-moving molecules escape, the remaining molecules have lower average kinetic energy, and the temperature of the liquid thus decreases. This phenomenon is also called evaporative cooling. This is why evaporating sweat cools the human body. Evaporation also tends to proceed more quickly with higher flow rates between the gaseous and liquid phase and in liquids with higher vapor pressure. For example, laundry on a clothes line will dry (by evaporation) more rapidly on a windy day than on a still day.Three key parts to evaporation are heat, humidity and air movement.

Florida today was humid as only Florida can be. I am sure that the government has plans to issue knives to each citizen so they can cut their way throught the incredibly thick air.  :whew:

Add to that they play in a bowl shaped venue that restricts air flow, my heart went out to both sides.

The respsectable defense of the Giants stymied (ma main man) Jeff Garcia and a very good 'D' for TB was shown to have holes. The less than respectable offense of the Giants played above itself to (well, actually) thrash da boyz from Tampa.

A defensive game, Manning (NY) threw for only 185 yards, while Garcia (TB) for 207.

from fern H.

The (my) Pats play next week - as the leader of their division they get a week off before they play. Should the Titians win they will play them (the game just began against the SD Chargers) - if they (the Titians) lose, they shall play the Jaguars from Jackson, who defeated Pittsburg yesterday.

Gazing off into the future, croghan sees these Jaguars as the team of next year. (If NE does not get decimated by trades/retirements/hold outs in the off season.)

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2008, 08:23:35 PM »
You must leave now, take what you need, you think will last.
But whatever you wish to keep, you better grab it fast.
Yonder stands your orphan with his gun,
Crying like a fire in the sun.
Look out the saints are comin' through
And it's all over now, Baby Blue.

Such is life now for four teams this weekend:
in the National Football conference -

The Tampa Bay Bucccaneers stayed under me buck'en hat  :wink: , and lost to the New York (football) Giants. (Not to be confused with the San Franscisco [baseball] Giants: that used to be in New York.)  :shock:

Washington's team, with the very improper name of Redskins is banished to the showers for another year. A Canadian named Jack Kent Cookeowned the team for years. The next time some fulminating fascist calls Canada 'Canukistan' remind that fool the Cooke built the stadum that the Redskins play in - the biggest in the NFL, with entirely his own money, eschewing public funds. This, of course, is unlike that great believer in free enterprise and the Republican, Robert Irsay, that moved the Colts from Baltimore, who would not supply public money for 'improvements' (exclusive boxes, don't ever think any members of the..well... general public would ever sit in them, come 'on  :annoyed: ) to the stadium, to Indianapolis that would be glad to supply this bastion of capitalism with tax raised cash.
The Seahawks looked very good indeed in this game.

In the American Football Conference:

The Tennessee Titians - in a closer game than crogh expected - were dispatched by San Diego. San Diego has finally won a post season game, taking some kind of monkey off their back.

Yesterday in, for my money, the most exciting game of the weekend The Pittsburg Steelers were 'terminated' by the Jacksonville Jaguars.

As everybody's good buddy, V. I Lenin asked in 1902. What Is To Be Done?  :roll: Mind you, he was only talking about the formation of a revolutionary vanguard, not the NFL Playoffs - but he caught the idea, so Next week:

National Football Conference:

The Seattle Seahawks play Green Bay. crogh has been expecting the Packers to fold up like a used pack of cards all season and they have, persistant little devils that they are, played excellent football.

The Giants play the Dallas Cowboys - and will probably get chewed up in their maw.

American Football Conference:

The Chargers play Indianapolis. The Chargers are very good - the Colts are very good, indeed.

and, of course  :D

It is amazing that the Jacksonville Jags would go through all the exercize, danger and general shit to get a chance to play the New England Patriots - but do it they have. Welcome to Foxborough.

This, I see, as the team of now - the team of of the first decade of the 21st century, against the team of the 2nd decade. New England, like any team, can be beaten - but not by them, not yet.

vmichel

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2008, 01:04:31 AM »
Any college football fans about? Championship was tonight... I was supposed to root for the Bucks but I was secretly glad LSU won...

Coyote

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2008, 01:43:41 AM »
The bowl system just ruins college football for me. You have no idea what's at stake one game to another. When you see what a good job college sports does with basketball, baseball, wrestling, and hockey (etc.), why can't they come up with anything near a rational playoff system for America's true national sport?
Everybody forgives everybody for everything.
- Nate Fisher

vmichel

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2008, 01:49:33 AM »
Yeah, I have no idea. Even a limited semifinal with the top four conference champs would be better than this, and would only add another layer or two.

If you follow one school in one conference, the system makes sense to watch. If you want to compare schools in different conferences, it's nuts.

It does make the out-of-conference games a little more exciting, though.

Return To TAT