Author Topic: Critical perspectives on the Pickton trial  (Read 25885 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Critical perspectives on the Pickton trial
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2007, 02:37:57 PM »
"Intentionally causing death" (2nd degree) but not "planned and premeditated" (1st degree).  

Law-talkin' commentator (woman) speculates that jury believed someone else was involved, who brought the women there, and Pickton was an opportunist, more or less?

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2007, 02:44:00 PM »
I'm sure Robert Pickton is guilty as sin, but I'm just as sure that he wasn't alone in committing the murders, torture and other horrific crimes. What about his brother? What about the many visitors to the notorious farm?

Indeed, how on else could it be merely second-degree murder?
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2007, 02:44:15 PM »
On further thought: even if that's so (I mean, if someone else was involved), if he does it repeatedly, if he keeps killing women when he gets his hands on them, how can that be considered mere opportunism?

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2007, 03:04:51 PM »
They said the families got a shock because the jury started by finding him not guilty of first degree murder; I guess they have to do it in order.  Now the jury has to recommend parole timing.  But I doubt he'll ever get out.
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2007, 03:07:53 PM »
G&M article:
...The verdict meant that the jury did not believe Mr. Pickton deliberately, and on his own, planned to kill the women, but was involved in the killings, perhaps with someone else...
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2007, 06:41:54 PM »
Finally finished reading that article. It is to weep.   :cry:

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2007, 06:56:54 PM »
Given the number of First Nation's people in the federal corrections system, and the number of First Nation's people that he practiced his vile deeds upon - his time in 'stur' will be miserable and probably short.

No, this is not the answer to what is apparently a racist problem in our justice system - but is some consolation.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2007, 06:59:23 PM »
That is true.

But he was not alone in his vile deeds against Aboriginal women. I'm sure there are several more guilty parties, and a lot more complicit parties and complacency.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2007, 07:26:36 PM »
Quote from: lagatta
That is true.

But he was not alone in his vile deeds against Aboriginal women. I'm sure there are several more guilty parties, and a lot more complicit parties and complacency.

This is my feeling to. I think there are some parties out there who wanted an open and shut case to make these horrific crimes go away once and for all. Sounds to me like the jury were extremely thoughtful and thorough in their deliberations.

What I would like to know is why the RCMP and Vancouver police were so slack-assed in investigating these murders. Well I suspect we all know why.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

anne cameron

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2007, 08:10:07 PM »
You'd think it would embarrass them that a marginally retarded part time pig farmer was able to outwit them for so many years.

There's no way Willy can be foisted on the public as the evil genius.  And all those cops with all that training and all that expertise and even people phoning in tips and naming names...

uh huh.

Great work, Brownie , you're doing a heckuva job...

Return To TAT