Author Topic: It's time for Oscar ... Oscar Oscar Oscar ...  (Read 29914 times)

Caissa

• View Profile
It's time for Oscar ... Oscar Oscar Oscar ...
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 02:56:04 PM »
The novel is an excellent book, a very good dystopia. The few reviews I've read though praising the movie state it doesn't hold a candle to the book.

Although P.D. James is one o my favourite authors,I find it disconcerting that she is a Conservative Peer.

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2007, 03:05:56 PM »
Quote from: Caissa
Although P.D. James is one o my favourite authors,I find it disconcerting that she is a Conservative Peer.

This explains so much Caissa. I was wondering why right-wing pundit Mark Styn (sp?) was panning the film while praising James and her novel. Hmmmm, makes me think that the screenwriter overlayed a more left-leaning feel to the film adaptation.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2007, 03:37:24 PM »
Y'know, it strikes me that the plot of Children of Men sounds very like that of a Doris Lessing novel of at least ten, fifteen years back, although I have read neither, so I can't say much more.

brebis noire may know, though -- she is a great lover of Lessing.

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2007, 04:23:46 PM »
Did somebody say Doris Lessing?  :)

From the plot summary of Children of Men, it sounds like a cross between Children of Violence - more specifically, The Four-Gated City, and The Marriages Between Zones Three, Four and Five.

I have never read Children of Men and the movie sounds too dystopic for me.

I saw Volver - very nice, but I doubt I'd have enjoyed it as much if it hadn't been in Spanish. I guess it was hyped a bit too much - I really liked it, but I was somehow expecting some kind of epiphany.  :?

Tommy Shanks

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2007, 11:55:03 AM »
Children of Men is up for best adapted screenplay

I saw it the other night, and I guess between it's critical acclaim and the general buzz about it, I was expecting great things.

Instead, it seemed to be an ok sci-fi flick, dragged down by being so heavy-handed with the symbolism.

Perhaps the problem is that audiences are so expectant of remade, recycled crap that anything that is in the least way different is like the next Raging Bull.
We are the mods, we are the mods, we are, we are, we are the mods.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2007, 11:21:45 AM »
Although P.D. James is one o my favourite authrs,I find it disconcerting that she is a Conservative Peer.

Well Caissa - I would in no way consider Adam Dalgliesh any kind of radical. His distain for "society" seems to come from the same roots as Miss. Marple's does of the "chattering classes" - a looking down upon rather than a genuine dislike. She/he seem to think they would be all okay if they could only get it right.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2007, 10:02:07 AM »
Dench is 72, Mirren 61, Streep 57 and Bening is the youngest at 48. Susan Sarandon was the last actress over 40 to win a Best Actress Oscar for Dead Man Walking back in 1996 and in the intervening years the winners have been a parade of young cover stars. The Oscars have always been a popularity contest but in recent years the Academy has been particularly keen to reward youth over experience, which has not been difficult because it has long been the case that there are few substantial roles for women once they hit 40. Now, it seems, moviegoers and voters have decided that it might be time for a change.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/features/fea ... 37,00.html

deBeauxOs

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2007, 12:42:55 PM »
This comment is a bit grating:
Predictably the directors who have given Rampling's career a new lease of life and were responsible for the film that have given Dench, Mirren, Bening and Streep another Oscar chance are men. 'I'd love to see more women directors working with these actresses,' says Taylor (Ella Taylor, the film critic on LA Weekly). 'It would certainly put a different light on things.'
Clearly this woman has not seen Titus, directed by Julie Taymor with Jessica Lange cast as a 'barbarian' queen, or Away From Her, directed by Sarah Polley, with Julie Christie.  Or perhaps these female directors don't carry the weight that the well-known, male directors do.    :roll:

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2007, 12:49:13 PM »
Quote from: deBeauxOs
Water, the final film in Canadian Deepa Mehta's trilogy is up for Best Foreign Film.  A political, beautiful, angry, romantic, feminist, spell-binding film.

Of all the nominations, Water is the only one I've seen. And deBeauxOs is absolutely right.

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2007, 07:51:36 PM »
The Oscars are tomorrow? Is this the usual time of year? Seems early to me. I thought it was more an April event.  :?

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2007, 08:04:56 PM »
It used to be on the last Sunday in March fern hill. Not sure if it was last year when they changed it -- something about curbing the amount of marketing that goes on.

I have won our Oscar pool 4 out of 5 times since moving to the 'Peg and starting this tradition. This year, I contained my "research" to only half a day since so many of our regular participants complain that I always win. I bet she is googling all the films! was one comment I heard and thought that they too have access to the same technology :-) So this year I decided to go with my "heart" rather than the odds on some of my choices.

So for any other betting types, here are my picks:

Best Pic - BABEL -- smart money has DEPARTED taking this

Best Director - DEPARTED (Scorcese)

Best Original Screenplay - LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE (Arndt)

Best Adapted Screenplay - DEPARTED (Monahan)

Best Lead Actress - THE QUEEN (Mirren)

Best Lead Actor - LAST KING SCOTLAND (Whitaker)

Best Supporting Actress - DREAMGIRLS (Hudson)

Best Supporting Actor - LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE (Arkin) -- smart money says Eddie Murphy

Best Music Score - BABEL (Santaolalla)

Best Song - AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH (Melissa Etheridge) -- smarter voters will pick one of three DREAMGIRLS songs but maybe that will split the vote though

Cinematography - CHILDREN OF MEN (Lubezki)

Art Direction - PAN'S LABYRINTH -- some say DREAMGIRLS since some think Musicals trump Fantasy in this category but really, that's only when the musical is a best picture contender

Make-up - PAN'S LABYRINTH

Costume - DREAMGIRLS (MARIE ANTOINETTE has a good shot because the voters associate costume challenge with period pieces)

Film Editing - UNITED 93 (I'm hoping votes will be split between BABEL and DEPARTED to get this film a much deserved award)

Sound Editing - PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN (lots of pundits think war movies rule this category so it may go to LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA)

Sound Mixing - DREAMGIRLS (I'm assuming that music trumps action)

Visual Effects - PIRATES OF THE CARRIBEAN (every one loves an octopus head :-))

Foreign Language - PAN'S LABYRINTH

Animated Feature - CARS (the Brits gave it to HAPPY FEET)

Documentary Feature - AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH

Short Live Action - BINTA AND THE GREAT IDEA (most are probably going for WEST BANK STORY)

Short Animation - THE DANISH POET (what's not to love, an NFB cell drawing production with Liv Ulman doing voice and a really sweet story of love -- but the more sappy and unoriginal Disney LITTLE MATCHGIRL will probably take it or pixar computer animated LIFTED)

Short Doc - RECYCLED LIFE (most are going for the Chinese Aid orphan story of BLOOD OF YINGZHOU DISTRICT -- RECYCLED LIFE is about poor Guatemalans working on a grass roots recycling project that has helped them earn a living and self esteem and the woman who started the project died before the film was released)
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2007, 08:34:14 AM »
The only Oscar-nominated flick for 2006 I've seen is the Al Gore one. I hope it wins Best Doc. I want as many neocon heads to explode as possible. Gore is on a roll. I hope that's a serious Nobel nomination he got.

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2007, 12:42:53 PM »
I'm with Boom-Boom*: Of all of the nominated films, I've only managed to catch Al Gore's this yr. BTW, Boom-Boom, did you see the WaPo piece on Gore, this weekend? "Al Gore, Rock Star: Oscar Hopeful May Be America's Coolest Ex-Vice President Ever"

*Prediction: "I'm With Boom-Boom" will take the top prize in the 2010 Oscars

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2007, 01:37:04 PM »
Och. I suddenly see that I committed a faux pas in the OP.

HM is not HRH. She is HM. How could I have done that?  :oops:

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2007, 01:48:07 PM »
Quote from: GDKitty
BTW, Boom-Boom, did you see the WaPo piece on Gore, this weekend? "Al Gore, Rock Star: Oscar Hopeful May Be America's Coolest Ex-Vice President Ever"

Not yet, but I will. Thanks for the link.

Return To TAT