Author Topic: It's time for Oscar ... Oscar Oscar Oscar ...  (Read 29915 times)

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
Re: It's time for Oscar ... Oscar Oscar Oscar ...
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2010, 02:00:06 AM »
dBO, I agree that Sandra Bullock was very good in Crash.

I'm thrilled Kathryn Bigelow won best director but I have to say I don't much like "Hurt Locker".
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #91 on: March 08, 2010, 08:44:29 AM »
I've been watching bits and pieces on YouTube -- there's quite a good version of the whole show slowly going up.

I have no idea who most of the younger stars are, especially all the pretty women in those bizarre dresses. Penelope Cruz, though, always touches me -- such grace and charm. If I were a director, I would make movies for her.

And Colin Firth, as always -- *drool* Now that I think about it, why doesn't someone make a movie with Colin Firth and Penelope Cruz?

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 08, 2010, 09:53:52 AM »
Penelope Cruz played an obssessed crazy person in Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008) which I have seen five or six times, mostly for the performances of Javier Bardem and Scarlett Johanssen, but also because of the awesome beauty of Barcelona, a place I have wanted to visit for a very long time.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 08, 2010, 02:37:42 PM »
Boom Boom, here's a nice blogpost about snow in Barcelona.   :mrgreen:

The other thing that Barcelona makes me think of is that amazing duet between Freddie Mercury and Monserrat Caballé.  Wow: I wish I'd been a percussionist. Watch the way that guy gets to play the HUGE drums and the chimes at the opening.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 08, 2010, 05:15:22 PM »
Snow in Barcelona??? :shock:

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2010, 06:27:43 PM »
Almost all of Western and Central Europe got measurable snow this year, even in Italy, Spain and southern France (and I don't mean the Alps and Pyrennées). As we got practically none...

Hey, I never thought I'd post on an Oscar thread! Viva Threaddrift!
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2010, 01:15:22 AM »
Quote from: Boom Boom
the awesome beauty of Barcelona, a place I have wanted to visit for a very long time.

I visited when I was 21.  As with many of the places I visited on that trip, I would love to return as a mature adult, where my focus was on more than hedonism (actual or wishful).
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2010, 09:47:57 PM »
Just came back from seeing Crazy Heart ..... the vehicle that took Jeff Bridges to the best actor Oscar.

It is about country music ... T. Bone Burnett's hands are all over it. One of the glories of C&W is that it acts like Yogi Berra and make one realize the honesty of simple feelings - "it ain't over, 'till it's over" or "Deja vu all over again" are so obvious and real you are shocked at the truth of them. "I'm so lonesome I could cry" - or the morbid and ironic quip, "..the beer I had for breakfast tested good, so I had one more for dessert" are startling in their illustration of the common and obvious.

Crazy Heart tries to do this ... it is a tear jerker ... a good and talented singer as his career is declining turns to booze. Everybody loves him. A terrible thing happens from his drinking. he straightens up and .... lives happily ever after.

Did not work for me .... he is too loved and much too good. (He really likes kids.)

The music may have been good - the awesome sound system in the theatre would make any discordance sound fine.

Bridges was good ... I am not sure if I would call it award winnig good - but does a fine job. I have not seen any other Oscar winners - but they must be pretty terrible if that is the best there was.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2010, 08:12:56 AM »
Acting in the days of botox.

Remember back in the 80s when plastic surgery was seen as so bizarre that an actor's career could be destroyed by it? When Jennifer Grey whittled her nose, her career was similarly destroyed. The hoo-hah over Barbara Hershey's inflated lips in Beaches almost managed to overshadow Bette Midler. What innocent times. Now, if an actor doesn't look like a Madame Tussauds waxwork, she looks like a Golden Girl stand-in. "I was super against [Botox], saying I'll never do it, then you see yourself on HD and you want to kill yourself," says Rosanna Arquette, a reaction George Clooney could relate to: "I was watching Up in the Air and I thought, 'Jesus, who's the old, grey-haired guy?' And it was me."

Ha, I can even relate. A couple of weeks ago at the clinic, a puppy jumped up onto my face and neck, apparently leaving claw marks, but not too painful after the initial shock. But several minutes later, the techs were looking at me with alarm, asking me if it hurt, if I wanted some disinfectant, etc. I was like, OK, give me a mirror so I can see what they look like. I took the mirror and held it up way too close to my face and neck and then freaked out because all I could see were wrinkles, a face I could barely recognise. I hadda search to find the claw marks through the wrinkles. I said, no I don't need any disinfectant, what I really need is some botox...

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2010, 09:14:32 AM »
My skin now looks as though it's made of wet tissue paper. It isn't just wrinkled -- the top layer is next to transparent, papery, almost filigreed, and even lotion doesn't change that look, although it still feels better. I am so far beyond Botox it ain't funny.

Odd, though. The other day I read somewhere -- and I could have sworn it was a different Guardian article -- that Meg Ryan had ruined her career by getting too much work done, so I went to look for images, and I think it's true -- that has not been a good transformation. She doesn't look bad, but the Meg Ryan-ish-ness is gone, just plain gone.

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2010, 09:31:49 AM »
It's true - Meg Ryan doesn't look like Meg Ryan anymore, and I'd even say the same of the Sandra Bullock I saw at the Oscars. Not quite Sandra Bullock, just vaguely, though that person sounded like her.
There is definitely a list of celebrities who have gone that way, most of them women, but a few men. Except for a handful of uber-stars, it's really obvious that it's a workplace like any other, where most people are expendable.

Thankfully, my face is not my fortune, and yet I spend way too much time thinking about it. I've always had dry, clear skin that I've never had to cover up or worry about, but when I look at my brother's face (he's 14 yrs older than me) I can see where I'm headed. Though maybe because I've been a bit more careful with creams and not getting dark face tans, it won't be quite as line-y.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2010, 09:48:09 AM »
Chris Noth (Mr Big) in the Sex & the City movie is a frightening example of a male actor who had too much work done and ended up with frozen face.  His lips move - barely - and that's it.

Return To TAT