Author Topic: cheap but good, and not too boring?  (Read 34274 times)

lagatta

• View Profile
cheap but good, and not too boring?
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2007, 07:00:01 PM »
I'd be very surprised if it wasn't good, with such a cut! Though often better the second day.

I've often come upon such weird pricing in independent shops around here - but it can work the other way too.

I made pizza tonight - second half of a dough I'd made, and the veg and ewe's whey fresh cheese I had (in little gobs)...

Yesterday I simmered two little stewing hens, for soup of course but also for  their meat - I boned them after two hours and returned the bones and the skin - which was thick and leathery - to the pot. Skimmed off the fat. Nice gelatiney stock.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2007, 06:18:30 AM »
Herr Magoo, did you cook the slab of meat all in one piece or did you cut it into chunks aforehand?

And eph, do you put the eggs into the milk whole -- and serve them whole -- or do you slice them?

Inquiring minds need to know ...

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2007, 07:43:49 AM »
Whole.

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2007, 09:01:16 AM »
Chunks.
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2007, 09:10:13 AM »
Was it good? ;)
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2007, 09:21:42 AM »
"Whole" ... "Chunks" ... reminds me of:

"More taste" ... "Less filling" ...  :D

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2007, 09:22:42 AM »
Well, I overcooked the potatoes, so they crumbled some, but otherwise it was spectacular.  Plenty of dark, rich gravy, the meat was tender and flavourful, and the Portugese rolls were awesome for mopping up.

We'll definitely be doing it again.  I saw a recipe for beef stew that called for the stew to be served alongside mashed potatotes, rather than having chunks of potato.  I might try that next.

faith

• View Profile
    • http://www.faithloverobertson.com
chef's corner
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2007, 10:55:20 AM »
Eph that egg dish sounds like one that my neighbour from Indonesia cooks all the time. Our neighbour lost her husband  over a year ago and she is over 70 but can't bear to give up the family home, so we have been shoveling her walks and driveway this winter with the unusual amount of  snow we've had. To reward us she cooked a several course Indonesian meal and had it all packed up in a box delivered to our door with a thank-you. The egg dish is something that tastes quite unlike anything I have ever had before, it is very unique. The kids won't touch it but I would categorize it as a kind of comfort food.
just picture it

Re: chef's corner
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2007, 11:48:51 AM »
Quote from: faith
Eph that egg dish sounds like one that my neighbour from Indonesia cooks all the time.

Well, it's mine. Mine, mine, mine. Your neighbour must have borrowed, stolen, the idea from my mum at some point or the other.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2007, 11:56:15 AM »
Some conference participants from Mindanao, in the southern Philippines (in some ways their food is akin to Indonesian food) also prepared a similar egg curry. But each with its own variation, of course.

I found it tasty, but wouldn't prepare it myself, as I don't want to eat that much egg. I do eat eggs, but only as an ingredient in other foods, and limiting them. Though I know some now dispute the relation between the cholesterol in eggs and the risk of increasing blood cholesterol.
Rosa Luxemburg

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2007, 12:48:48 PM »
well, you don't have to eat all 6-8 eggs at once. I usually eat two, sometimes one, with rice.

faith

• View Profile
    • http://www.faithloverobertson.com
chef's corner
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2007, 02:40:46 PM »
Our neighbour usually puts 6-8 eggs in as well. I have only ever seen the dish as a side dish when we have been invited to their family gatherings. Everyone usually takes 1 egg and some sauce for drizzling over the rice.
just picture it

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2007, 02:43:58 PM »
The Mindanao gals made several different dishes: vegetables, fried chicken, etc. I imagine each person would have eaten about one egg.
Rosa Luxemburg

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2007, 09:57:01 PM »
Quote from: Herr Magoo
Well, I overcooked the potatoes, so they crumbled some, but otherwise it was spectacular.

FWIW, I recently got a copy of "The Best of America's Test Kitchens 2007" and they suggest making a "hobo pack" of foil to wrap the vegetables & steam them on top of the stew in order to prevent over cooking.  Have never made a beef stew, but would like to attempt one of these days.  This book is quite "engineering" focused and claim this is an easy way to avoid mushy vegetables.

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2007, 10:55:19 PM »
Thanks!  For the record, the carrots were not mushy.  And probably if I had used Yukon Golds instead of regular white potatoes, they might have held up better.  But next time it's going to be beside some mashed, just to try that.

Have never made a beef stew

I've only made one or two, but I've done enough curries to have a sense of what to do.  When I was young, my father made beef stew all the time, but always with those boneless chunks of tough beef I described higher up, so his "gravy" was pretty much water, and I never really enjoyed it.  Kind of like an east coast boiled dinner (except that a boiled dinner is awesome, and nobody pretends the water is gravy!).

Use some beef with a bone, and your gravy will be naturally thick and glossy.  I didn't feel any need to add any kind of thickener.  Making Carribean goat curry taught me this, and once I felt like maybe I could make gravy that would coat a spoon, I wanted to try making beef stew.  Boo-yah, Dad!

Return To TAT