Author Topic: Garden planning  (Read 84674 times)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Re: Garden planning
« Reply #300 on: April 03, 2011, 09:17:06 AM »
  What is a Community Garden?

excerpt:

There are many different types of community gardens, because community gardening is adapted to the needs of the community in which it is practised. And since it is a relatively new phenomenon, the practice of community gardening is still in the process of defining itself.

• Community gardening is the result of mobilizing a community to respond to the needs of its residents. Management and organization remain within the community.
  • Typically, a community garden consists of a plot of land that is shared, but not individually divided up. Responsibilities, knowledge, labour and the food harvested are shared among the participants. Generally, group cohesion and team spirit are fostered by having the members come together for a weekly work day.
  • The purpose of a community garden is to build food security and to empower the participants while fostering stronger ties with cultural communities and contributing to a healthy urban ecology.

La solidarité, la démocratie, l'équité et la justice sociale,
l'autonomie, la prise en charge, le respect de la personne : la dignité.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #301 on: April 03, 2011, 10:57:07 AM »
Both rooftop gardens and community gardens are such good things, I think. My last place in Toronto had a fair-sized flat space up top, and I fantasized for a while about breaking through to it and doing a little garden there, even just grasses, but it would have meant too much reconstruction. Most conventional houses can't be easily converted, unfortunately.

The former architecture critic at the G&M wrote -- maybe fifteen years ago? -- about the garden he'd built on the flat top of the converted industrial building he lived in. It was really a beautiful thing, and relatively simple to do if you've got the right structure underneath ... which most of us don't.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 03, 2011, 12:05:30 PM »
Rooftop gardens need to be planned with great care - not only the incredible weight of a garden, but also watering issues - where will the rooftop garden drain to?  And what about access, and by whom?

It can get very complicated.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 03, 2011, 04:16:41 PM »
How long can I keep using seeds from previous years? I have radish, carrot, kale, rhubarb seeds that are getting on three years or more. I've kept them in cold storage. Anyone know?  :confused

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 03, 2011, 07:29:37 PM »
How long can I keep using seeds from previous years? I have radish, carrot, kale, rhubarb seeds that are getting on three years or more. I've kept them in cold storage. Anyone know?  :confused

Cold storage and DRY? Because if there was no build up of moisture, your seeds should last you a few years at least. I'm glad I don't have to order anything, ev is perennial now and no more room, except for the nasturtium row I keep, I just pick up my nastie seeds at Zeller's or Dollar World.

If there is a chance of moisture for your seeds in future BB, you can add bit of silica gel to absorb any excess moisture.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 03, 2011, 07:58:50 PM »
I kept them in original packaging, so maybe they're okay. I think I'll use them and see what happens.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #306 on: April 03, 2011, 08:27:42 PM »
Visited all the wee things today. Wonder of wonders, I think one bit of parsley has reseeded itself. I've only seen that once before, but there are the teensy green curls coming up. The chives and lavender and sage are ok, but I think they need rain.

The tulips in the herb patch (which pre-date me) are coming on gang-busters, but this year they definitely get lifted when they're done. Daffs are coming along nicely and other tulips show green, but they're not as big as the ones that are in the wrong place ... of course. There are a few crocii I'd forgotten, almost in flower except it was dull when I was out, so they were folded up. Wish I had some snowdrops.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 03, 2011, 08:35:31 PM »
 :applause Parsley. Today while walking in other places I saw a garden with daff have huge buds and will bloom by end of this week I think. That will be a sight to see, so I will make sure I stroll there by Friday. So much rain now, it is lovely to listen to. Think I'll sleep like a rock tonight, had a busy and enjoyable wknd. First one in awhile. *lovely*

"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 02, 2011, 04:19:03 PM »
  Just finished planting the big veggie garden - in a very cold wind. I'm exhausted. The weeds were a killer. Frown

Tomorrow - will plant a small greenhouse full of lettuce.

So far - have spent a week tilling and weeding by hand; a day for planting flowering bulbs and shrubs; and today's 10 hour effort.

I'm thinking of giving up the veggie garden and just plant shrubs, trees, and flowers there instead - and just sit back and enjoy the view. It's too much work for these old, arthritic bones. :geezer

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #309 on: June 02, 2011, 04:40:10 PM »
Look for things that self-seed.  Many of my herbs just come up on their own, no effort required.  And those that don't self-seed (eg: tomatoes) you can seed by scattering early in the spring & see what you get.

To me, gardens should not be about work, particularly of the stoop-labour variety.  Weeds have to be big enough to yank without bending over before I bother.  :)
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: June 02, 2011, 06:15:33 PM »
 :iagree Now that it's in BB, you can sit back and just weed what looks best for produce.

Oh and I think Vancouver is going to win the Cup!

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #311 on: June 02, 2011, 09:37:52 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement! I have sore neck muscles, maybe a cold, from working in the cold wind today. Sleeping on a heating pad tonight!

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Garden planning 2013
« Reply #312 on: January 29, 2013, 10:38:03 AM »
A bit early for the 2013 season, , but some things to consider: 

The Four Steps Required to Keep Monsanto OUT of Your Garden

Keep Monsanto OUT of Your Veggie Patch

Monsanto-Free Seed Companies

and:

Rachel Parent ~ GMOs Kids Right To Know – JUST LABEL IT!

In Canada, there is currently a private member’s bill C-257 introduced by NDP (recently had its first reading in Parliament) to require mandatory GMO labeling RIGHT HERE IN THIS COUNTRY. All Canadians need to show support for this Bill. We need an equivalent Prop 37 marketing campaign! Email Gerry Ritz, the Minister of Agriculture and Agri-food, to express your support of Bill C-257 at: gerry.ritz@parl.gc.ca

Sign the petition here: www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Bring_Mandatory_GMO_Labeling_To_Canada

« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 11:12:47 AM by Boom Boom »

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Re: Garden planning 2013
« Reply #313 on: January 29, 2013, 11:14:53 AM »

I notice VESEYS is not on this list - I've just emailed them to ask for an explanation. I may be changing suppliers if I don't like their reply.  :annoyed

« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 11:15:33 AM by Boom Boom »

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Re: Garden planning 2013
« Reply #314 on: February 03, 2013, 11:55:11 AM »

I notice VESEYS is not on this list - I've just emailed them to ask for an explanation. I may be changing suppliers if I don't like their reply.  :annoyed

Just saw this:

"To the best of our knowledge, Veseys Seeds Ltd. does not sell any flower or vegetable varieties which are genetically modified and we continue to encourage healthy gardening practices for all of our customers.

Veseys Seeds Ltd. is licensed as 'Shipper/Handler of Certified Organic Seed.' Veseys is certified by the CSI (Centre for Systems Integration) and meets all standards associated with the National Standard of Canada for Organic Agriculture CAN/CGSB-32.310-2006, having under gone the required physical inspection and review, assuring non use of chemical input or prohibitive substances in the shipping and handling of Certified Organic Seeds.

In the event that an organic product is not available, we will substitute with untreated seed of a similar variety, unless you specify that you do not want any substitutions."
http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/about/website/veseysgmopolicy
      Veseys GMO Policy and Organic Certification - Veseys www.veseys.com  To the best of our knowledge, Veseys Seeds Ltd. does not sell any flower or vegetable varieties which are genetically modified and we continue to encourage healthy gardening practices for all of our customers.  •  Veseys Seeds Ltd. is licensed as 'Shipper/Handler of Certified Organic Seed".

« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 11:58:13 AM by Boom Boom »

Return To TAT