Author Topic: What are you doing?  (Read 1524569 times)

Toedancer

• View Profile
Re: What are you doing?
« Reply #8790 on: August 16, 2013, 07:35:44 PM »
Debra, but we all know that was for me cuz I'm the teckdolt! Okay gonna try it now.

"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #8791 on: August 16, 2013, 07:36:09 PM »
Holy Shyt that's f'ing HUGE.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #8792 on: August 16, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
What a precious baby. And the little star on the chest! Kissable.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #8793 on: August 16, 2013, 10:55:55 PM »
Bruce contemplating......hmmm

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #8794 on: August 17, 2013, 08:09:53 AM »
he's gorgeous! I bet that tummy looks really tempting for pouncing...
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8795 on: August 17, 2013, 11:16:41 AM »
What a cutie! Love the pre-action shot with Bruce.  :))
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Alison

• View Profile
    • http://creekside1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8796 on: August 18, 2013, 07:37:18 AM »
I can smell that tummie from here  :-*

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #8797 on: August 19, 2013, 11:41:26 AM »
Just checking in - doesn't appear to be a recent August thread.  :o

The renovations are very slow as I have my worker for only one day a week. We have to do part of the sun room roof over again, as it's been leaking in heavy rain.

The plastic siding is all done except on the woodshed.

Next project is a new small deck outside the sun room, and a deck for hanging clothes on a new clothesline.

My health continues to deteroriate - a year ago my red blood cell count was abnormally low, now last month my white blood cell count was found to be abnormally low - so I'm being sent to the hospital for a scan (bone scan?) hopefully this week or next. No diagnosis yet.

The flower gardens have been doing well and I've posted [pics on my FB Timeline. The veggie garden in the greenhouse - not so hot. Just beets so far - radishes were small, and carrots still have a month to go before they can be picked.

We've had a lousy summer - mostly cold, windy, and wet - interpersed with a few warm (not hot) days. The crab fishermen had a great year - most finished their quota early.

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8798 on: August 20, 2013, 08:31:43 AM »
Sorry to hear about the health woes, Boom Boom.

As for this summer, it's been a weird one and it's now almost over  :crying .
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #8799 on: August 21, 2013, 12:20:42 PM »
Am counting the days to being able to drive off the coast for the first time:

La route 138 bientôt jusqu'en Basse-Côte-Nord

(SDI translation)

The construction of the bridge, which crosses the great Natashquan River is virtually completed

the construction of the bridge that spans the vast Natashquan River is virtually complete. This fall, it will be possible to drive up to the village of Kegaska, located at 80 km from Natashquan.  (actually 44 km...)

It remains only to complete the paving of the bridge. The official inauguration of the bridge by the Ministry of Transport should be done in the next few weeks.

Thirty young Innu of Natashquan have participated in the construction. Ex-chief of the Innu community of Natashquan, Richard, supra; Malec stressed that these young people are now proud to have contributed to the yard. They were able to learn their craft, he adds.

Conflict finished

for Richard, supra; Malec, who works for Atik Construction joint venture the Innu in charge of the work, the conflict between the community leader, Rodrigue Wapistan and Atik construction is now a thing of the past. "It has been able to realize this bridge, despite all the criticisms, accusations", commented Mr., supra; Malec.

According to him, the main argument of the leader, who was opposed to the construction of a bridge with central pillar, no longer holds the road. "It was a pretext, believes Richard, supra; Malec, he said it was going to harm salmon. I can tell you that this year, c'has been one of the most beautiful seasons of harvest of salmon on the big river Natashquan. "

The village of Natashquan was connected by road 138 in 1996. It took 17 years to continue the road up to Kegaska.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 12:38:17 PM by Boom Boom »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #8800 on: August 21, 2013, 01:04:11 PM »
I was wondering what the translation meant by "yard". As I thought, it was "chantier", whose original meaning was doubtless a shipyard (and later a railway yard, or other work site). Here it would simply mean the construction, building the road, roadbed and related work.

That would be great if as many young Innu could be builders as their Mohawk counterparts, and of course develop other trades.

Boom Boom, that will change your life, even if you might need a driver to travel far with your arthritis. I think even Natashquan has better and cheaper shopping then your little town.

This will also mean more tourists and outfitting work for your local residents, and of course, make medical assistance easier.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #8801 on: August 21, 2013, 01:24:46 PM »
Yeah, it's a machine translation, so don't rely it on it for accuracy. I've forgotten much of my French in the past few years. :(

Natashquan is nice - has a nice grocery store and a nice restaurant, which will make the drive worthwhile for me. Also has a dedicated hardware store. Stuff we don't have here in Kegaska.

Natashquan - also the home of Gilles Vigneault!  :applause   I have a multi-disc CD by him of all his best songs.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:26:12 PM by Boom Boom »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #8802 on: August 21, 2013, 03:05:51 PM »
Keeping language knowledge active can be difficult for people with hearing disabilities, but the availability of material online can be a big help. After all, Bell first invented the telephone because his wife had a hearing disability, so they say.

Yes, it will be worth it to go to Natashquan - you should get better vegetables in the wintertime, for one thing. They may still be frozen (which is often the best for nutrition in the winter, and certainly far from large distribution networks) but you'll have a lot more choice.

Quincaillerie Benoit Vigneault   Are they related to Gilles?

3 des Brisants, Natashquan, QC G0G 2E0               

Pour s’y rendre 418-726-3323

I guess the grocery store is Marché Natashquan?

Hey, they sell fishing worms as well as more usual things:

Modes de paiement
Certificat Cadeau, Chèque, Chèque certifié, Comptant, Interac, Mandat poste, MasterCard, PayPal, Visa
Langues parlées
Anglais
Espagnol
Français
Produits et services
Alimentation général
Bières et vin
Boulangerie Maison
Essence
Fruits et légumes
Glace

Huiles   
Produits de SAQ
Produits du terroir   
Vers à pêche
Viande et charcuterie

When it says "produits de SAQ", I guess they mean products from the official monopoly, as there is certainly no SAQ store there, not just dépanneur "beer and wine".

They speak Spanish?

Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #8803 on: August 21, 2013, 03:15:28 PM »
Yes, Marché Natashquan is the store - just across from the RC church - which is a beautiful small building.

How did you get all that info?  :confused

I'm guessing ALL the Vigneaults in Natashquan are related to Gilles - his family goes back probably hundreds of years there.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 03:19:21 PM by Boom Boom »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #8804 on: August 21, 2013, 03:45:43 PM »
Google of course: natasquan commerce au détail

Remember that I do a lot of research for my work, so I'm used to finding tags and keywords.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 03:46:43 PM by lagatta »
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT