Author Topic: Margaret Wente - tell us what you know!  (Read 40230 times)

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Margaret Wente - tell us what you know!
« on: February 02, 2007, 12:50:47 PM »
Today Margaret Wente's legend grew just a little bit larger. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a vast network of scientists from around the world, released its landmark report. It predicts dire consequences if we don't take our green responsibilities seriously.

Why am I left so impressed with Margaret Wente? If she can stare down such an impressive array of scientists, then she must know something spectatcular. Just a couple days ago, via an online Globe and Mail conversation, she tantalized us with this:

link
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 01:03:36 PM »
Great post!

Why can't I find him on progblogs? Because I'm looking, and I can't.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 01:11:00 PM »
Marvelous Margaret says:
that there is great uncertainty about what impact climate change may have, how serious it might be

She is completely correct there .... one faction says it will be bad .... the opposition, however, hold that it will be horrendous.

The bad-ites say "Head for high ground." while the nihilist horrendous-ers maintain we're fucked on the high ground too.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 01:18:54 PM »
Yeah, but Wente's faction is: "I'm (?) years old (offhand I'd say about 60 or so), the worst will happen after I die, and I don't give a shit.

Quite literally, "Après moi le déluge"
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 01:40:16 PM »
I'm torn. Do we give her credit for going down with the sinking ship, or do we conclude that she is just too arrogant to be intelligent?

I will concede one hemi-demi-semi point: I don't m'self believe that individual citizen efforts at conservation can make all that much of a difference at this point -- not, at least, unless people make the connections between their own usage and bigger systems -- your car and Big Oil and war, eg, or your weekly shopping and agribiz. Some saintly Green politics irritates me for that reason. We have to do more than live virtuously as individuals.

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 01:48:11 PM »
Quote from: skdadl
I will concede one hemi-demi-semi point: I don't m'self believe that individual citizen efforts at conservation can make all that much of a difference at this point -- not, at least, unless people make the connections between their own usage and bigger systems -- your car and Big Oil and war, eg, or your weekly shopping and agribiz. Some saintly Green politics irritates me for that reason. We have to do more than live virtuously as individuals.

No argument here, skdadl.  Daughter and I had a good conversation about this when we discussed our household's Three R's.  She had never looked at the environmental impact of war.

And now I really must get some work done!
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

deBeauxOs

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 01:49:01 PM »
Quote from: skdadl
I'm torn. Do we give her credit for going down with the sinking ship, or do we conclude that she is just too arrogant to be intelligent?
Even rats and cockroaches are smarter than Wente.

We have to do more than live virtuously as individuals.
It's a two-punch approach, to act locally - my own backyard, community - and to think globally - put pressure on the multinational interests.

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 01:54:47 PM »
I will give her an additional demi-point for not siding with apocalyptic thinkers (e.g. evangelicals) who think that environmental degradation is either a sign of God's wrath for human (and other types of) life or human sinfulness. And that the end times are coming and we're goners. Sometimes I have a hard time distinguishing between the religious and the environmental apocalyptists.

I've always had enormous concern for the environment, both in terms of my individual efforts and more socially minded ones, but I'm not going along with the sudden agony just because the Globe decided that  a focus on environmental issues will help them to sell more dead trees.

Upon reflection, I am revoking that demi-point because I am too annoyed that she is even talking about the environment at all.  :)

deBeauxOs

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 01:58:50 PM »
Quote from: brebis noire
... Sometimes I have a hard time distinguishing between the religious and the environmental apocalyptists. ...
Especially when some of them confuse and conflate the issues .... Elizabeth May anyone?

'lance

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 02:10:06 PM »
Some say Elizabeth May -- some say Elizabeth May not.

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 04:15:37 PM »
I've seen someone at FD giving advice to the fundamentalists not to say that God won't allow climate change to happen, but instead to say that nature is too big for humans to affect it.
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

gunnar gunnarson

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2007, 09:36:23 AM »
Hmmm.  Wonder how well that goes over?  Don't fundie fuckheads see concern for nature as a form of evil paganism or something?  I mean, from there, isn't it only a short step to practising witchcraft, becoming lesbian, destroying capitalism and killing your children?  :wink:

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 09:38:30 AM »
It's okay: today's Went rant is about face-lifts, Botox and the "maintenance" required after 50 so as not to live in a "dump" (ageing skin). She sounds like a middle-aged Leah McLaren.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

gunnar gunnarson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 09:43:26 AM »
That's the Globe's formula nowadays.  Consumption and vapid self-absorption.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007, 10:01:23 AM »
Some say Elizabeth May -- some say Elizabeth May not.

'lance, I may be in love for that one.  

:rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:  :rotfl:
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

Return To TAT