Author Topic: Margaret Wente - tell us what you know!  (Read 42050 times)

'lance

• View Profile
Margaret Wente - tell us what you know!
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 11:44:06 AM »
Quote from: gunnar gunnarson
Hmmm.  Wonder how well that goes over?  Don't fundie fuckheads see concern for nature as a form of evil paganism or something?  I mean, from there, isn't it only a short step to practising witchcraft, becoming lesbian, destroying capitalism and killing your children?  :wink:

And watching Barney. No, sorry, other way around -- it's watching Barney that's supposed to induce kids to accept everything on the liberal left's agenda, from New Age evolution to radical ecology.

Quote from: Croghan27
'lance, I may be in love for that one.

:oops:

My word -- you roughneck oil-patch types are rather plain-spoken and forward, aren't you? I suppose you would be... Still, this is rather a public place, and all. No dinner-and-a-movie, even?

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 12:26:17 PM »
I just caught up with Wente's current column, and about halfway through, I had a revelation.

Nothing important has ever happened to that woman in her entire life.  :shock:

'lance

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007, 12:31:26 PM »
Apart from becoming a Glob columnist, you mean?

(...crickets, coughs...)

OK, you and I and everyone we know, and most people of sense, would agree that's not important. But I'd have thought it was by Margaret Wente's lights.

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007, 12:42:03 PM »
[drift]

I haven't looked at Wente's piece yet this a.m., but the books section has a few lovely tidbits...the fellow named Hill, I believe, and The Book of Negroes appears definitely worth reading.  All his books do.

[/drift]
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 12:58:50 PM »
skdadl, I guess that is indeed scary. Nothing has ever happened to Leah M either, but Wente has lived approximately twice as long...

But isn't it rather a question of important things not registering? By her age, she must have had at least a couple of close friends or relatives die on her, found love or a reasonable fascimile at least initially, she moved to another country (why?)...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 01:04:50 PM »
I dunno, but she writes a conclusion like this:

The trouble with being over 50 is that your maintenance schedule gets more and more demanding, and you're always falling more and more behind. You've got the manicures and pedicures and facials, the exercise classes and the chiropractor, the colonoscopies and mammograms, the hair cuts and the colouring, the dentist and the periodontist and, now, the Botox. You need a growing number of support people just to keep you upright and presentable.

It's occurred to me that, if I attended to all these duties faithfully, there'd be hardly any time to have a life. But letting go is not an option, either. Like an unmaintained old house, you'll deteriorate awfully fast, and pretty soon you'll be living in a dump.

-- and all I can think is: what planet is she on?

Admittedly, some of what she tosses in there (see the mammograms and colonoscopies scattered randomly among the pedicures and facials?) does become a spiritual burden for us all as we age. It is horrible to be medicalized -- I know that feeling.

But she equates the cold terror of major dependency or terminal illness with "fillers" for the lines on her face?!? Cosmetics that cost that much? That often?

Margaret Wente's face is just another SUV.

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2007, 01:11:29 PM »
Quote from: skdadl
Margaret Wente's face is just another SUV.

Now, that, m'dear is a keeper!!! :rotfl:

Thanks for the belly laugh!
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

'lance

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2007, 01:24:12 PM »
[drift]

So last night we were standing at a corner waiting for the light when two vehicles pulled up to stop -- a Hummer, and next to it a Smart Car.

I pointed this out, said something like "well, this is comical," meaning simply the contrast, M looked over and agreed, and we crossed the street.

But when we were halfway across, the woman behind the wheel of the Hummer rolled down her window and yelled something at us. I didn't catch any of the actual words, but M said later they were something like "Well, it costs more to maintain...", the rest being lost in traffic. The woman then roared around the corner and was gone.

I assume that she assumed we'd been ridiculing her choice of vehicle, or being judgemental about it, or some such. Which we hadn't -- though of course I don't think much of such monstrosities, or the people who insist it's their right to drive them, and would cheerfully have said as much to the driver, had the opportunity arisen.

But the touchy self-righteousness, the combination of smugness and insecurity, made me think of no-one so much as Margaret "Jesus Would Drive An SUV, And Those Who Deny It Are Pharisees" Wente.

[/drift]

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2007, 01:27:12 PM »
There must  be a quiz 'What kind of car/vehicle are you?' I'd love to be a Smart Car. They're just so durned cute. sweetie and I saw them first in Rome in 2000. I called them 'sneaker' cars, because they look like baby sneakers.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2007, 01:28:33 PM »
Jesus was a carpenter. He'd drive a beat-up white van, with "Joseph and Son" painted on the side, full of tools and assorted junk.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

fern hill

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2007, 01:29:07 PM »
Of course there's a what kinda car are you quiz.

http://quiz.myyearbook.com/zenhex/quiz.php?id=371

ETA, pretty stupid quiz

Your Results:
Jeep Wrangler, Land Rover Discovery
Rugged. Plain and Simple.

'lance

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2007, 01:35:53 PM »
Quote from: fern hill
There must  be a quiz 'What kind of car/vehicle are you?' I'd love to be a Smart Car. They're just so durned cute. sweetie and I saw them first in Rome in 2000. I called them 'sneaker' cars, because they look like baby sneakers.

That's good, I'd never thought of that. There's a Mercedes dealership just down the road from us, so we see them all the time.

They're about as long as your average car is wide, so I've seen instances where there'd been only about a 5' space in between two cars parked at the curb, and a Smart Car driver had simply backed into the space. Perpendicular parking. The front of the car was in an approximate line with the sides of the cars to left and right, and didn't extend out into traffic.

Quote from: lagatta
Jesus was a carpenter. He'd drive a beat-up white van, with "Joseph and Son" painted on the side, full of tools and assorted junk.

Well, of course, but ol' Peg seemed to want New Testament sanction for her lifestyle choice. What can I say?

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2007, 01:36:04 PM »
None of the options correspond to:

what I usually wear
where I live or would live (I would have picked San Francisco if the "Castro District" (gay village, known for clubbing) weren't in the option)
what I enjoy doing in free time (writing, reading, painting)
what I like to eat, or anything close to it - though I probably could have found something reasonable on that one.
Rosa Luxemburg

fern hill

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2007, 01:40:44 PM »
Quote from: lagatta
None of the options correspond to:

what I usually wear
where I live or would live (I would have picked San Francisco if the "Castro District" (gay village, known for clubbing) weren't in the option)
what I enjoy doing in free time (writing, reading, painting)
what I like to eat, or anything close to it - though I probably could have found something reasonable on that one.

Yeah, stupid quiz. If I were interested enough in what kind of car I am, I'd look for a better one. But like you, lagatta, I don't like cars. But it would be fun to see a Smart Car and a Hummer side by side.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2007, 01:50:32 PM »
Toyota Camry, Ford Taurus, Honda Accord
You are practicle, nice to be around and not too bad looking.

:rotfl:
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Return To TAT