Author Topic: Margaret Wente - tell us what you know!  (Read 40229 times)

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
Re: Margaret Wente - tell us what you know!
« Reply #150 on: March 18, 2010, 05:39:49 PM »
I wish now that I had put in a word for Antonia and the other bloggers attached to corporate media who actually get the blogosphere and have joined in most creatively and enthusiastically.

Thanks but not necessary.

She seems to be unaware of her sisters-in-political spirit -- the Kates, the Michelles, the Debbies -- in the blogosphere.

But she also claims women have no opinions. I fully expect Blatchford to bitchslap her.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #151 on: March 18, 2010, 05:56:37 PM »
Yer kidding. But just in case:   :popcorn

Sorry, I've been out. But it's kind of a waste of finger muscles anyway -- I look back at my wee comment, and it is now buried under a ton of gunk. I doubt that Wente will ever see it unless she does a search for her hero, Maureen Dowd. (The Merkins call Dowd mean names on their blogs.) The last thing Wente wants is to be informed. I suspect she does her research by phone, her typing lying down, and then just transmits. She does not receive.

Holly Stick

• View Profile
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2010, 11:17:48 AM »
Well, we'll see, eh?

deBeauxOs

« Reply #154 on: March 19, 2010, 11:36:19 AM »
Quote from: Antonia
...  she also claims women have no opinions. I fully expect Blatchford to bitchslap her.
:fingers_crossed:   :whis:

Holly Stick

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2010, 01:13:42 PM »
Meh, not a great conversation; I'm not too impressed with the two bloggers.  I tried to list some of the political bloggers, but too late I guess.
Economics is a human creation, borders are human creations and nature doesn’t give a damn about these things. - David Suzuki

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 19, 2010, 01:18:21 PM »
We were getting Wente and the two featured guests in real time, but the comments from others (obviously being moderated) were coming in in funny clumps, so it was kind of like reading ... a chat site. I have never liked chat sites very much -- I don't do sound-bites very well, I guess, and I'm usually not interested in anyone else's unless there's something urgent going on. And that was hardly urgent.

Wente played the women-just-write-mommy-blogs card, and she got a few good rebuttals to that. Someone did mention Antonia, and there was one comment that got in a few other Canadian women bloggers who do Wente's idea of "serious" political commentary, but that was it. I don't know where Wente gets the nerve to consider her own writing serious political commentary, but she did try peering down her nose from that platform.

She reads HuffPo. Srsly.   :roll:

A number of women did make claims about good blogging from women, but no one really had the chance to flesh them out. I doubt that Wente learned much from that, but then learning isn't what she's into.

deBeauxOs

Margaret Wente - tell us what you know!
« Reply #157 on: November 06, 2010, 12:54:14 PM »
Excellent and pithy Windy Mags' smack-down by Accidental Deliberations.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 06, 2010, 05:06:11 PM »
dBo, according to the Wiki article - and Susan Faludi - Lasch was against the abortion rights movement, and divorce.

I kept my response civil - aka the worst epithet I used was "sexist filth". One can imagine what he thought about effete LGBT people...

Wente's stuff is based on nothing but her own self-importance and false dichotomies.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Antonia

• View Profile
    • http://thestar.blogs.com/broadsides/
« Reply #159 on: October 13, 2011, 12:51:34 PM »
More missing quotation marks

[size=100%]Quotes and other material from the introduction to Baumeister/Tierney’s book, “Willpower” figure prominently in her piece,[/size]but Wente seems to blur the line between the authors’ observations and her own, and again uses what seem to be migrating quotation marks.
It is when we all play safe that we create a world of utmost insecurity. It is when we all play safe that fatality will lead us to our doom. It is in the "dark shade of courage" alone that the spell can be broken.
-- Dag Hammarskjöld

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 25, 2012, 02:00:21 PM »
I'm sure some of you are aware that the longstanding accusations about Wente's serial plagiarism have come to a head. Even in a British media blog, on the Guardian website:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2012/sep/24/canada-plagiarism?newsfeed=true

Heh, heh. :popcorn
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 25, 2012, 05:00:41 PM »
I don't recall having read anything by Wente. What kind of writing does she do - political commentary?

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 25, 2012, 10:15:51 PM »
Oh, a mixture of smug political commentary plus writing about herself and her imaginary friends. Probably the best capsule view would be via the Sixth Estate blog with the tag: Wente.

xthestate.net/?tag=margaret-wente
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 25, 2012, 11:08:27 PM »
Oh goodness - I can't stand smugness, or people who believe the world revolves around them.

Return To TAT