Author Topic: Margaret Wente - tell us what you know!  (Read 39638 times)

'lance

• View Profile
Margaret Wente - tell us what you know!
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2007, 01:51:37 PM »
Quote from: fern hill
Yeah, stupid quiz. If I were interested enough in what kind of car I am, I'd look for a better one. But like you, lagatta, I don't like cars. But it would be fun to see a Smart Car and a Hummer side by side.

Once in a while you see something like that and think: if that were in a movie, viewers would just roll their eyes.

Our apartment building is next door to a funeral home, with an alley in between. But we almost never see hearses or funeral processions, I suppose because we're out most of the day. But one day I was walking up toward our place and saw a woman in front, holding what was obviously a newborn baby. There were two or three people with her, making a fuss over her and the child in the usual way.

Just then a hearse pulled out of the alley, turned onto the street, and was gone.

Maybe you had to be there, but you see what I mean about a juxtaposition too obvious or corny for anything but real life.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2007, 01:53:01 PM »
The first time I saw a Hummer in Montréal (right in the city centre, near McGill) it was parked just in front of a teeny red car - not a Smartcar but a very small subcompact.

Some people need cars, but I can't imagine anyone needing a Hummer unless they are a mercenary by trade.

Saw lots of Smartcars in Amsterdam. No Hummers, though I did see some SUVs there - and more in Brussels. If you know the cost of a litre of gasoline in those parts ...  :shock:  - sort of a statement to the effect that "I'm feelthy rich, and can afford to throw Euros out the window"...
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

gunnar gunnarson

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2007, 01:57:34 PM »
Quote from: 'lance
you see what I mean about a juxtaposition too obvious or corny for anything but real life

You mean like your current occupation as bartender to the revolutionary vanguard?  Serving fancy bourgeois libations to chekists like comrade fyrnova, perhaps?  

[running away snickering] :groucho-marx:

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2007, 02:00:33 PM »
Well, with beer goggles you don't need Botox! :mrgreen:
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2007, 02:08:06 PM »
Quote from: 'lance
Maybe you had to be there, but you see what I mean about a juxtaposition too obvious or corny for anything but real life.

Thou met'st with things dying, and I with things newborn.

Or something like that. That's Willyum, in the Winter's Tale somewhere -- perfect capture of comic form.

The trouble with Willyum is that he wrote so many of these things so perfectly that it gets very hard for anyone else to do it later.

'lance

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2007, 02:16:39 PM »
Quote from: lagatta
The first time I saw a Hummer in Montréal (right in the city centre, near McGill) it was parked just in front of a teeny red car - not a Smartcar but a very small subcompact.

Some people need cars, but I can't imagine anyone needing a Hummer unless they are a mercenary by trade.

Last I heard, those guys -- and affiliated private militias, death squads, warlords' armies, and the whole crowd of good-time boys -- still favoured Toyota Land Cruisers and the like. Cheaper, more reliable, easier to get parts -- and really, there are certain kinds of ostentation even mercenaries won't stoop to.

Quote from: gunnar gunnarson
[quote="'lance":whpo6s9x]you see what I mean about a juxtaposition too obvious or corny for anything but real life

You mean like your current occupation as bartender to the revolutionary vanguard?  Serving fancy bourgeois libations to chekists like comrade fyrnova, perhaps?  

[running away snickering] :groucho-marx:[/quote:whpo6s9x]

Sigh. Yes, comrade, I mean like that.

[world-weariness]

When you've survived the revolutionary upheavals I have, the elevation to supreme power followed by disgrace and impoverished exile followed by God-only-knows-what, you have to adopt a certain fatalism and stoicism, am I not right?

I'll get a fambly coat-of-arms made up: on a silver-gray background, a pair of shrugging hands flanked by draft-beer taps, and the motto (translated into Latin, of course): "It's All The Same To Me -- Now, What'll It Be?"

[/world-weariness]

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2007, 02:32:30 PM »
Weltschmerz
Rosa Luxemburg

'lance

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2007, 02:33:39 PM »
Gesundheit!

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2007, 02:35:54 PM »
I guess I am a beat up old Yugo .... (Yugo jump in the lake?) me and 2% of other respondants. We are going to establish the Yugo-bund, and push for worker control of the means of tire changing. (Yugo jack off?)

No dinner-and-a-movie, even?

No, but would you accept an afternoon at the local "Gun and Rod Show" followed by a beer. (You pay.)  :wink:
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

'lance

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2007, 02:43:25 PM »
Well, that depends. What kinda guns and rods are we talking about, here?

deBeauxOs

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2007, 04:36:35 PM »
Quote from: lagatta
I can't imagine anyone needing a Hummer unless they are a mercenary by trade. ...
or very very afraid of the aptly named Boom Boom and his squadron of car vandalizing and graffitying goons.   :wink:

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2007, 05:25:19 PM »
Have any of you thought of writing a letter to the editor about that Wente column? As a person (and specifically a woman - strangely she didn't address men's concerns such as balding...) over 50, though younger than her (nasty smirk), I find the idea that I'm living in a ruin if I don't resort to Botox and ridiculously overpriced creams extremely offensive.
Rosa Luxemburg

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2007, 05:44:20 PM »
over 50, though younger than her (nasty smirk), I find the idea that I'm living in a ruin if I don't resort to Botox and ridiculously overpriced creams extremely offensive.

Having hit 50+10 I find the most irksome thing is people, like Wente, that seem to have given up or suppose I have - I am most definitely NOT in a maintenance mode, I am ready to go out there and make as big a fool of myself as I ever was. :oops:

So, lady on the bus that stands to give me a seat - I lift weights just about everyday and am quite able to stand. Kid that hangs back so I can go through a door first, stuff it - (another Yugo moment) I jogged for 3 miles a day last year and will again when the weather becomes better.

I will decide when I am old and rotten (have got the rotten part down already  :evil:  ) not you, certainly not Wente.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2007, 06:46:31 AM »
Now Wente is smearing Rachel Carson.

Bitch. For a lot of people my age (and Wente is not many years older) reading Carson's works as children was as important in terms of environmentalism as reading Anne Frank or stories about the civil rights movement in the US South was in terms of racism. (Fortunately I have family ties to Aboriginal issues, not long after I realised that there was racism up here too).

And a woman who lived a meaningful life, unlike certain columnists obsessed with Botox fillers...

Edited to add: Do read the Wikipedia article about Carson who faced the material problems of a working woman with no family fortune, sexism, and even heterosexism as she and her close female friend felt the need to destroy their letters (no record on whether the relationship was sexual, but it was her key emotional one in any event. :(
And died in middle age of breast cancer, after much suffering.

And even during her life, chemical companies and conservatives were dumping on her and launching campaigns against her...

Her centenary is this weekend. She will be remembered long after Wente is forgotten.
Rosa Luxemburg

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2007, 07:00:07 AM »
Good God. Wente makes it sound as though DDT (which is now more ancient than I am) is all we ever needed as a way to address ... malaria?

Excuse me? How's about we use our science to make a direct address to malaria?

The woman (Wente) simply cannot think, and her MO is the same every time. She finds one "expert" and quotes him all the way through as proof that she did her homework. I don't have time to research her expert, but I'll bet it wouldn't be that hard -- it never is.

Plus: can she seriously not put dates on things she cites? I try very hard always to date everyone I quote.

Return To TAT