Author Topic: Blog of the week  (Read 13882 times)

deBeauxOs

Re: Blog of the week
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2008, 12:11:09 PM »
Powerfully written.  Unfortunately the link to Mr Kaufman's article is not working, so there's no way of reading what she is responding to.  :?

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2008, 12:16:49 PM »
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2008, 08:09:37 PM »
This has to be the blog of the season:

Margaret and Helen

My name is Helen Philpot. I am 82 years old.  My grandson taught me how to do this so that I could “blog” with my best friend Margaret Schmechtman who I met in college almost 60 years ago.  I have three children with my husband Harold.  Margaret has three dogs with her husband Howard.  I live in Texas and Margaret lives in Maine.

Latest post:

I cannot believe this is even close.  How did America get so far off track that a week out from this election many still think it is too close to call?

It was either a few years ago or a few months ago… at my age it all blends together.  But I remember it was all over the news and on the cover of all the magazines.  One of those new ”starlets”… Paris or Brittney or Lindsey or Chutney or something like that - one of those starlets got caught getting out of a car without her under garments.  That’s right.  Photographers all around and her hoo-ha was out there for everyone and God to see because she forgot to put on a pair of panties.

I know you all know what I am talking about.  It was all over the news.  Scandalous they said.  Out of control.  She needs help.  What is the world coming to?  EVERYONE was shocked and EVERYONE was talking about it.  How could she?  What kind of a role model is she for young girls?  I know you all remember it.  If my scattered brain can remember it, I know you can.   People didn’t have to be told how the cow ate the cabbage on that one.  We all knew it instinctively.

Well imagine my shock and surprise today when I came across this little item.  The latest polls show that only 55% of Americans think that Sarah Palin is not qualified to be President.   55%!   FIFTY FIVE PERCENT!  This about the woman whose best qualification for the job to date is that she can see Russia from her house.  So what exactly does Sarah Palin have to do before the other 45% of this country is shocked enough to realize that she is a “whack job”?  Please Lord don’t tell me she has to show her hoo-ha in public.

If, in fact, you are reading this blog and think that Sarah Palin is actually qualified to run the country… well I suggest you check and see if your panties are on because the joke just may be on you.

:applause:  :applause:  :applause:

ETA: I got that from MadDog in comments at EW.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2008, 08:13:55 PM »
Please Lord don’t tell me she has to show her hoo-ha in public.
 :rotfl:  :popcorn
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

deBeauxOs

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2009, 09:13:17 AM »
Brilliant.  The rev. paperboy at TGB:
As a professional word-using and language-rearranging guy ... I am losing patience with my colleagues at CTV and Canadian Press. They seem to consistently grab the wrong end of the stick when reporting on political matters. Now I have to fix their headlines and copy too.
Headline clinic  :rotfl:

deBeauxOs

Blog of the week
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2010, 07:39:42 PM »
from unrepentant old hippie:   Generation fap

JJ reports on some of the deranged elements posting at Freaked Minions, and their religious frenzies.

deBeauxOs

Blog of the week
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2010, 07:15:36 PM »

deBeauxOs

Blog of the week
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2010, 11:44:23 AM »

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2011, 07:20:28 PM »
Spitalfields Life

Meeting this blog was sheer serendipity for me. Someone on Twitter linked to the Christmas nighttime walk that "the gentle author" had done through a sleeping east-end and central London on Christmas Eve, and I've been reading along ever since, just captivated by how well done this is.

I know London pretty well, although in my times there, Spitalfields was still close to a no-go. It's in the central east end, just north of the Tower of London, and along with Whitechapel it is infamous in C19 history as part of the territory of Jack the Ripper's crimes. Since the Renaissance that whole area has been a reception area for immigrants; it has also had a vibrant Jewish community since at least the C19, now considerably replaced by immigration from Pakistan-India and the rest of southern Asia, and from that community fine fiction has already appeared -- see Zadie Smith's Brick Lane. 

Like the rest of the moderately central east end of London, the area is being gentrified, is now quite trendy, although it sounds as though the original character of the place is still alive. I haven't been anywhere near since the 1970s, when I was afraid to venture too far. I'd love to go now, and this blogger's walks are a great introduction for anyone who's thinking of visiting, even just in imagination.

Return To TAT