Author Topic: Anglicans to split?  (Read 82776 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Anglicans to split?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 11:02:37 AM »
Quote from: Mandos
Am I a bad person if I think that the title "Primate" is objectively funny?

No, it makes me laugh too (but then it would -- I'm Presbyterian/United).

I also have to shake my head a little at the Lutheran metaphors of the Times story. Anglicans and Lutherans are not a lot alike. Lutherans tend to be moderately iconoclastic; Anglicans never went the iconoclasm route.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Anglicans to split?
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 11:24:23 AM »
I posted the article that began this thread knowing it had a bit of hyperbole. I mean, using Luther for comparsion?  :lol:

By the way, I grew up in the United Church, dated a girl whose dad was an Anglican priest, and joined their church. Then we split, and I've been stuck in this (Anglican) church ever since. But it's fun, what with High Tea, sherry, and other eccentricities.  :lol:

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Anglicans to split?
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 12:03:11 PM »
Church Leaders Urged to Get Real

African Christians ask their leaders to concentrate on political, social and health issues, not just on gays and lesbians.

By Trevor Grundy in Canterbury, England (AR No. 95, 15-Feb-07)

Anglican Christians in parts of Africa are calling on their leaders attending the 2007 Primates Meeting in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania this week, to concentrate on real issues and not spend so much time debating the rights of gay men and lesbian women.

Those who criticise the amounts of time and energy spent debating gay issues say there should be a focus on the catastrophic spread of HIV/AIDS, widespread and pervasive poverty, severe drought, lack of governmental transparency and how the church can use its moral influence to remove despots from power.

In London, a rising star in the Anglican Communion, the Bishop of Botswana, the Right Reverend Musonda Trevor Selwyn Mwamba, told IWPR that Anglicans in Africa are growing tired of the gay debate, the endless arguments about who goes to bed with whom and what colour pyjamas they wear.

- snip -

(it's a much longer article)

BTW, I have Anglican friends in South Africa who say that the SA Anglican Church is NOT aligned with Archbishop Akinola and the Global South.

Caissa

• View Profile
Anglicans to split?
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 12:25:33 PM »
skdadl wrote: Lutherans tend to be moderately iconoclastic; Anglicans never went the iconoclasm route.

The Anglican and Lutheran churches in Canada are in full communion.

Ironically, the only "liberal" Anglican church in Africa is South Africa.

'lance

• View Profile
Anglicans to split?
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 12:54:37 PM »
Quote from: Mandos
Am I a bad person if I think that the title "Primate" is objectively funny?

I think I've posted this before, but the term has caused some confusion in the past:

The University of Wisconsin's Regional Primate Research Center sent Archbishop George Cram, of the Anglican Church of Canada, a questionnaire while preparing an international directory of primatology. The envelope was addressed to "George Cram, Primates World Relief and Development Fund, Toronto, Canada."

Rev. Michael Ingham, secretary for the senior archbishop, suggested in a letter of reply that "primates in your study are perhaps of a different species. While it is true that our primate occasionally enjoys bananas, I have never seen him walk with his knuckles on the ground or scratch himself publicly under the armpits," Ingham said. "There are a mere 28 Anglican primates in the whole world," he added. "They are all males, of course, but so far we have had no problems of reproduction."

I emailed the Primates World Relief and Development Fund and they confirmed that this story was true, though with the minor correction that George Cram, though he was the director of the fund, is not an archbishop (or a priest at all).

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Anglicans to split?
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 01:32:25 PM »
That story (or one very similar to it) made it to our national Anglican church newspaper (the Anglican Journal).

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
Anglicans to split?
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2007, 01:50:10 PM »
I saw someone refer to this foofaraw as 'Episcolypse Now'.  My resulting chuckle pretty much exhausted the wee dreg of interest I have in the goings on of the Anglican church.  This posting is the last of it.

May their incense be forever stinky.  I'll be the fellow with the coffee and the bathrobe on Sunday morning, as always.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Caissa

• View Profile
Anglicans to split?
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2007, 01:52:40 PM »
Arborman wrote: I'll be the fellow with the coffee and the bathrobe on Sunday morning, as always.

Do you live in the Diocese of New Westminster :D

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Anglicans to split?
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2007, 01:54:31 PM »
Quote from: arborman
May their incense be forever stinky.  I'll be the fellow with the coffee and the bathrobe on Sunday morning, as always.

But what little I've experienced of incense in Anglican churches is sweet and pungent, not stinky. And, some parishes, in the city, have a coffee hour afterwards. When I lived in Toronto, many moons ago, the Wardens used to take me out to lunch with them to an expensive restaurant so we could laugh and hoot at the "liturgical errors" in that morning's service. Not that I'm that well-versed on Anglican practices, mind. Just that I find Anglican liturgy more fun than others. :lol:

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
Anglicans to split?
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2007, 01:57:31 PM »
Good question.  I haven't the faintest.  I suspect that whooshing sound was your humorous reference bypassing me in the upper stratosphere.  Entirely my ignorance, you see - a quality I hold in enormous abundance when it comes to Episcopal epiphenomena and this church of the Angles.  

Whatever happened to the Saxons anyways?  Didn't they get any part in naming the church?  I suppose a Saxican church might be easily mocked. It appears to me that any institution which dresses people in funny hats, calls them primates and then gets its knickers in a twist over a couple of fellas having it off is ripe for mockery as well.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Caissa

• View Profile
Anglicans to split?
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2007, 01:58:43 PM »
Boom Boom wrote: Not that I'm that well-versed on Anglican practices, mind. Just that I find Anglican liturgy more fun than others.

Any time you need a few pointers on Anglican Liturgy just send me a pm :D

My younger sister could fill you in on the Essentials, as well. :P

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Anglicans to split?
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2007, 02:09:50 PM »
Quote from: Caissa
The Anglican and Lutheran churches in Canada are in full communion.

They may well be, but the (couple of) Lutheran services I've attended were more like those of the Dissenting denominations I know. And the histories are so dramatically different. Have the Lutherans ever even considered a rapprochement with the Roman Church?

(What do you want to bet that Caissa comes back and says yes.   :wink:   )

Caissa

• View Profile
Anglicans to split?
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2007, 02:21:26 PM »
I know the Anglican and Roman Catholic churches have discussed the issue of "unification" on and off (more off) since vatican II. I honestly don't know about RC/ Lutheran discussions. I certainly doubt they could achieve full communion but Boom Boom might know. His knowledge of Lutheran theology might be a smidge better than his knowledge of Anglican liturgy.

Arborman: New Westminster is the most liberal diocese in Canada, the one which had approved same sex blessings at Synod.

Re. Saxicans- It might be a good name for the schismatic Global South church since they are so preoccupied with sax.  :D

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Anglicans to split?
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2007, 02:35:10 PM »
I certainly doubt they could achieve full communion but Boom Boom might know. His knowledge of Lutheran theology might be a smidge better than his knowledge of Anglican liturgy.

Wanna bet?  :lol:

'lance

• View Profile
Anglicans to split?
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2007, 02:41:18 PM »
Arborman: New Westminster is the most liberal diocese in Canada, the one which had approved same sex blessings at Synod.

Since the New West diocese includes everything from Hope to Powell River, and from Whistler to White Rock, I'm guessing arborman does indeed live in that diocese, as do I. Though my interest in the Anglican church is about as great as his.

Re. Saxicans- It might be a good name for the schismatic Global South church since they are so preoccupied with sax.  :D

Ah, Caissa? Yer workin' my... ah, but what am I saying. This land is your land, this land's not my land, etc.

Return To TAT