Author Topic: Anglicans to split?  (Read 82775 times)

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Anglicans to split?
« Reply #240 on: October 20, 2007, 11:43:51 AM »
Montreal joins the chorus:  

Montreal diocese becomes second to urge same-sex blessings

The annual synod of the Anglican Diocese of Montreal has become the second to urge its bishop to allow clergy to bless previously solemnized civil marriages between same-sex couples.

excerpt:

However, he said in a statement that the decision makes no immediate change in the policies and practice of the diocese. He would bring the results of the vote to a meeting of the Canadian house of bishops Oct.25-30 in London, Ont. “I will need some time to reflect on today’s discussions, to consult further with the other Bishops of the Anglican Church of Canada when we meet later this month, and to consider the concerns of our partners in the wider Anglican Communion,” the bishop said. “Until a decision is made, there is no change in our current policy and practice; I expect our clergy to refrain from blessing same-sex couples.”

It's just a small baby step, but I think the tide is turning.

Boom Boom

• View Profile
Re: Anglicans to split?
« Reply #241 on: July 10, 2012, 07:15:24 PM »
Can't find the right thread for this:

Breaking news: The House of Deputies of the Episcopal Church of the USA (ECUSA - Anglican) has just voted to approve the liturgy for blessing lifelong covenants for same-sex couples. It passed by a huge margin in both houses - clergy and lay.  :applause
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:23:04 PM by Boom Boom »

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #242 on: July 10, 2012, 08:03:48 PM »
My goodness it's been a good day for the progressive side.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 10, 2012, 08:16:12 PM »

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 10, 2012, 03:18:11 PM »
Former oil executive to be new Archbishop of Canterbury - Bishop Welby was an executive of an oil company before becoming a priest. He has been a bishop for only a year.

Anglican Church’s New Leader Vows to Seek Reconciliation

excerpt:
  Soon after Prime Minister David Cameron announced his appointment, Bishop Welby, 56, a former oil company executive, made it clear that he endorsed earlier church statements criticizing government plans to legalize same-sex marriage.   :mad2

“But I also need to listen very attentively to the L.G.B.T. communities and examine my own thinking carefully and prayerfully,” he added, referring to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender groups.
“I am always averse to the language of exclusion,” he said, apparently seeking a middle ground in the debates, which have split Anglicans from Africa to America. “Above all, in the church we need to create safe spaces for these issues to be discussed in honesty and in love.”

He said at a news conference, “We must have no truck with any form of homophobia in any part of the church.”   

« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 03:23:30 PM by Boom Boom »

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 22, 2012, 06:46:32 PM »
  Has the Church of England finally lost its reason? Women bishops and the collapse of Anglican theology

Quote:

The most dangerous element in this saga has been the almost farcical set of pragmatic attempts at compromise, attempts to "protect" conservatives from the visceral dread of female authority.

Related article:

Church of England votes against ordaining women bishops

ETA:

The latest:  Vote again on women bishops, Church of England urged 

« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 07:26:59 PM by Boom Boom »

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 22, 2012, 08:21:53 PM »
Thanks Boom Boom. That is long, and I'll read it later. Just wanted to say, isn't the nominal head of the Church of England (don't know about the Anglican Communion) a certain little lady named Liz? 
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Boom Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 22, 2012, 09:25:26 PM »
Yes, ERII is indeed the head of the Church of England, but in an administrative and legal function only. She has no authority to celebrate the sacraments of the church. And, only bishops can ordain other bishops.

As for the Anglican Communion, the Archbishop of Canterbury is considered 'first among equals'.

Return To TAT