Author Topic: Fetus Fetishist Watch  (Read 57783 times)

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Fetus Fetishist Watch
« on: February 15, 2007, 07:54:09 AM »
This could go in the Abortion Watch thread, but I want a thread titled 'Fetus Fetishists' (credit to Canadian Cynic). I propose we keep the Abortion Watch thread for serious threats or good news and use this one for the loonier attempts to go back to 'walks with dinosaurs' time.

This bill is one of the looniest yet.

Bill seeks details of abortion cases
Tenn. death certificate proposal stirs debate

By Erik Schelzig
Associated Press
Published February 15, 2007

NASHVILLE -- Legislation introduced in Tennessee would require death certificates for aborted fetuses, which likely would create public records identifying women who have abortions.

Rep. Stacey Campfield, a Republican, said his bill would provide a way to track how many abortions are performed. He predicted it would pass in the Republican-controlled Senate but would have a hard time making it through the Democratic House.

"All these people who say they are pro-life--at least we would see how many lives are being ended out there by abortions," Campfield said.

The number of abortions reported to the state Office of Vital Records is already publicly available. The office collects records--but not death certificates--on abortions and the deaths of fetuses after 22 weeks' gestation or weighing about 1 pound.

The identities of the women who have abortions are not included in those records, but death certificates include identifying information such as Social Security numbers.

Campfield's bill, introduced Monday, would give abortion providers 10 days following an "induced termination of a pregnancy" to file a death certificate.

House Judiciary Chairman Rob Briley, a Democrat, called Campfield's proposal "the most preposterous bill I've seen" in an eight-year legislative career.

Chicago Tribune

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Fetus Fetishist Watch
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 08:01:25 AM »
Have you tried saying "fetus fetishist" really fast five times?   :shock:

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Fetus Fetishist Watch
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 09:41:44 AM »
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

fern hill

• View Profile
Fetus Fetishist Watch
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 09:48:21 AM »
:fomcl

deBeauxOs

Fetus Fetishist Watch
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 12:51:41 PM »
Just a reminder or perhaps a declaration for the dimwits who cruise the threads of Bread'n'Roses, looking for snippets of our words that they can twist or quote out of context for their own purpose .... The posts in this thread are meant to stimulate a discussion about lunatics who use politics and/or religion to force their personal beliefs down other people's throats.  

I speak for myself - but I suspect that many other B'n'Rs share this view - when I say that I respect and honour the need of individual women to grieve the (involuntary or voluntary) termination of a pregnancy that held hope and promise for them.  However I draw the line at that personal grief.  To use the law to coerce all women into compulsory pregnancy, regardless of their spiritual and moral beliefs, social conditions or circumstances is an expression of misogynistic control.  Anti-choice criminalizers are the vile instruments of evil, IMHO.  :evil:

That said, fetus fetishizers beware!  We are on a rampage!!!!  :D

justme

• View Profile
Fetus Fetishist Watch
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 12:54:32 PM »
Ooooo, a rampage!  I just loooooove a good rampage!

What does one wear to a rampage?

deBeauxOs

Fetus Fetishist Watch
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 01:25:38 PM »
How about this classic outfit?  Or for something more practical, this one?

oldgoat

• View Profile
Fetus Fetishist Watch
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 01:35:11 PM »
Or for when you're just too busy with laundry and making lunches to worry about wardrobe...

http://www.geocities.com/rob_jedi/Fem_Heratic.jpg
"Res melius evinissent cum Coca"

k'in

• View Profile
Fetus Fetishist Watch
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 08:58:29 PM »
Just listened to a MSM *debate* featuring reps from Planned Parenthood and Right to Life in regards to a bill being introduced in Tennessee to issue death certificates for aborted fetuses.  Senate in TN is controlled by the democrats so the bill is unlikely to pass but still is exasperating.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - Legislation introduced in Tennessee would require death certificates for aborted fetuses, which likely would create public records identifying women who have abortions.

kuri

• View Profile
Fetus Fetishist Watch
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 11:44:52 PM »
I've been asking similar over at Feministing but is there any logical reason to take down Social Security numbers when performing an abortion? What's the purpose of that? I certainly don't give out my SIN number when I go to my doctor. They can verify my identity with a photo ID (AB health cards don't have photos) but I'd challenge them for sure if they photocopied it or anything. There's no reason to do that for the services they provide.

Toedancer

• View Profile
Fetus Fetishist Watch
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 12:09:49 AM »
Jeeze that is seriously wrong. As consumers  we need to start
asking more questions and giving out less personal information. That feels like governments scrutinize their citizens. It should be the other way around.

If a healthcare worker asked for my SIN I'd ask if I could have theirs. In any case although I know my number by heart, I always open my wallet and say I don't have it and have never remembered it. And if Elections Canada starts messing with SIN, I'd say that was a serious breach of my privacy and goes against the spirit of elections. Unless of course the point is to have only the-haves voting.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

vmichel

• View Profile
Fetus Fetishist Watch
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 11:46:59 AM »
Quote from: kuri
I've been asking similar over at Feministing but is there any logical reason to take down Social Security numbers when performing an abortion? What's the purpose of that? I certainly don't give out my SIN number when I go to my doctor. They can verify my identity with a photo ID (AB health cards don't have photos) but I'd challenge them for sure if they photocopied it or anything. There's no reason to do that for the services they provide.

I give my SSN whenever I visit the doctor. I' say that's pretty standard in the US, at least based on my experiences. I know that my insurance requires it -- claims are filed by SSN, and that's how I ID myself in the system. My SSN is my insurance ID number. And when I've gone outside insurance they need it for sure, probably so that they can send collections after me if I don't pay the bill.

Also when doctors share info -- like when I pull my chart to bring to someone else -- it's filed by SSN. I never really thought about it, because it never crossed my mind to refuse to provide it, but yeah -- I can see that being an area ripe for privacy violations. Like this death certificate BS.

fern hill

• View Profile
Fetus Fetishist Watch
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 08:58:01 AM »
Yeesh, the fetus-fetishists will be all over this. Because of IVF, they know exactly when fertilization happened.

'Advances' in medicine enabling more of this sort of thing fuels debates around viability. How do we deal with it?

Baby, among smallest to survive, to be released from hospital

MIAMI: A premature baby that doctors say spent less time in the womb than any other surviving infant is scheduled for release from a hospital Tuesday.

Amillia Sonja Taylor was just 9.5 inches (24.13 centimeters) long and weighed less than 10 ounces (284 grams) when she was born Oct. 24. She was delivered after just under 22 weeks of pregnancy; full-term births come after 37 to 40 weeks.

Neonatologists who cared for Amillia say she is the first baby known to survive after a gestation period of fewer than 23 weeks.

IHT

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Fetus Fetishist Watch
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 09:10:05 AM »
Even the doctors say she was a miracle baby. Before the fetus fetishers get their knickers in a knot about when life is viable they should remember that there was no expectation the child would live, babies born at more advanced stages have still died and even if they survive these babies often have greater medical difficulties.

I had a grandchild born at 23 weeks she lived about 6 hours.

Potential to live is not the same thing as ability.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

Bacchus

• Anya's Daddy-The Only Title than Matters
    • View Profile
Fetus Fetishist Watch
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 11:19:14 AM »
Mrs Bacchus' best friends baby just died. He was born at 25 weeks and died last nite at 11, not even a week later
When you're on your own
When you're at a fork in the road
You don't know which way to go
There's too many signs and arrows
You haven't laughed in a while
When you can't even fake a smile
When you feel ashamed...
The uniform don't make you brave

Return To TAT