Author Topic: Transit Rage  (Read 32677 times)

Left Turn

• View Profile
Transit Rage
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2007, 03:53:08 AM »
Quote from: brebis noire
The City of Hamilton and McMaster paired up to give undergrad students bus passes for approx. $70 that last the whole school year (8 months). It's part of their tuition fee, so it's sort of 'free'. The cost has risen from $58 to approx. $70. Lots and lots more buses have been added to the University routes. Now, the monthly bus pass for the general adult public is $67. So, you can see what a good deal they are getting. The system has worked extremely well, except over the last 2-3 years (since the double cohort and the University aggressively aiming for a larger student population), the buses have been crammed and often people are left staring at the buses go past them because there is no room for them to get on. Then, I hear these students bitching about how shitty the bus service is, and I think how unfair that is. They have no idea how much the bus service has been expanded for them, and they have no idea the role that the University has played in this - taking on far too many students too fast with too little planning.

Translink, greater Vancouver 's transit authority, provides a similar pass called a U-Pass to UBC and SFU students at $60 per 4 month period, so $21 for a standard September-April school year. This is a significant saving over the cost of regular montly passes. Again, it's a mandatory pass that  is inclueded as part of tuition fees. The percentage of UBC and SFU students taking transit to school has gone up significantly since the U-Pass was brought in. Attempts to get the U-Pass program extended to all other public post-secondary institutions in the lower mainland have as yet not met with any success.
US OUT of Iraq
Canada OUT of Afghanistan
Israel OUT of Palestine

Left Turn

• View Profile
Transit Rage
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2007, 05:30:32 AM »
Quote from: Zastrozzi
The ever-lucid Stephen Rees picks apart the BC government's plans to install turnstiles in Vancouver SkyTrain stations.

Definitely another horrible idea form Kevin Falcon. Even if we put aside the fact that public transit should be free, retrofitting the Skytrain stations to include turnstiles is a giant money suck that likely won't leave any money left over for much needed bus expansion.

Kevin Falcon makes my blood boil. He has not made one good decision on transit in the lower mainland during his entire tenure as transportation minister.

Kevin Falcon pushed the Canada Line to Richmond and the Airport, which translink was not planning to build, ahead of the Evergreen line to Port Moody and Coquitlam, which was Translink's top priority, and was a better fit with the lower mainland's growth strategy. Then he required that Translink build the Canada Line as a P3, with Ridership guarantees (aka profit guarantees), which will suck money out of the rest of the system if they are not met.

He's championed this ridiculous Gateway project since 2004, the centerpiece of which is twinning the Port Mann bridge and doubling the number of lanes on highway 1 through much of the lower mainland. He's pushing this despite evidence that it will increase greenhouse gasses, and despite opposition from most if not all municipalities north of the Fraser River. He's also decided that this too will be a P3, with a tolled bridge. Plus, he refuses to consider commuter rail out the valley to chilliwack as an option instead of Gateway.

He's pushed the expansion of the sea to sky highway, going over the ecologically sensitive eagleridge bluffs, against the wishes of the residents of West Vancouver.

Earlier this year he embarked on the undemocratic restructuring of Translink, which replaces translink's elected mayors with a panel of "experts", whose goal is to push privatized megaprojects. And though there will be a council of mayors, it's only allowed to pick options put forewrad by the panel of experts. So the choice will likely be between various privatized megaprojects.

Even though Translink had come up with a plan to start construction on the Evergreen line by 2009, Falcon's delaying it again in favour of Gateway, due to lack of funding and lack of workers to do both projects at once. Plus, Kevin Falcon has decided to make the Evergreen line a P3, something which was also not in Translink's plans.

And now he wants to spend Translink's money to retrofit skytrain stations to install Turnstiles, a move which does nothing to improve transit service in the region.

Significant expansion of bus service is needed, yet this is not on the table. An extension of the Millenium line to UBC is needed, yet this is not on the table. And commuter rail out the valley to Chilliwack is needed instead of Gateway, yet this is not on the table.
US OUT of Iraq
Canada OUT of Afghanistan
Israel OUT of Palestine

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Transit Rage
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2008, 09:27:14 AM »
The rail system in Britain is seriously screwed up.

I don't know much of the recent background, but sure as shootin', this is a continuing effect of privatisation.  :rant2:

lagatta

• View Profile
Re: Transit Rage
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2008, 11:13:08 AM »
Here is an interesting article on the measures and mindshif required to go beyond car-dependency in major cities, in the Star: Looking beyond gridlock

I'm not sure I agree with his approach UNLESS workplaces and residential areas have proper access to public transport, though some approach will be needed very, very soon.

Whatever the appeal of the car may be, mobility has little to do with it.

The truth of this lies not just in the extreme congestion and epic commutes documented this week by Star correspondents, but as they also made clear, in our mind-boggling capacity to put up with it.

That's why efforts to control car use are doomed to failure as long as they're based on attempts to replace it with alternate forms of transportation, especially public transit.

Of course, subways, streetcars and buses are important, even crucial, but the majority choose not to use them despite the fact they're cheaper, more efficient and sustainable. The better way is, don't forget, the better way. The fact remains, however, that there's nothing rational about why people in the hundreds of millions, perhaps billions, hop into their vehicles every morning and evening for the daily commute.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2008, 12:34:16 PM »
I also wonder if the density he advocates can happen fast enough (and without destroying historical architecture) to really work.

I think driving is first and foremost an anti-social activity. When I'm driving, I do feel more competitive and irritated at others than when I'm on the bus. (The bus, on the other hand, annoys me by often taking off, just as I reach the door in a full sprint - not something I do very well with my bad knee anyway - and leaving me with a breath full of exhaust.) For whatever reason, drivers seem much more receptive to switching to trains than to buses. I'll be really happy when Edmonton's 3 new LRT lines are in for that reason. There's a fourth line I'm hoping for more - downtown to Mill Woods, which would go by my house - but so far that hasn't been proposed with any level of seriousness, just the mayor saying that he'd like one. I won't consider it within the realm of possibility until there's something tabled before council. The important thing is to get as much built as possible while we have a lefty council, because if there's any backlash to the right, the only projects that will go ahead are where the shovels have already came out, I think.

It's a difficult thing: ridership only goes up when we have nice, expensive modes of public transport, but we need a sustained presence of progressives to get it done properly.

As far as bike infrastructure goes, these videos illustrate some of the problems: the North American approach to bike lane planning and more ad hoc and unhelpful bike lanes

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2008, 11:51:51 PM »
I'm on a mailing list for Leger surveys and got one evaluating options for Edmonton's Transit systems. Among the options being floated: TVs on long routes, pre-recorded announcements outloud for every stop, and CCTV cameras on all stops. No!!!! :panic:

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #81 on: June 18, 2008, 06:40:22 AM »
Dystopia, here we come.

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #82 on: June 18, 2008, 06:54:27 AM »
I like the prerecorded stop announcements on the streetcars. You can kinda fuzz out. They're also good for tourists and infrequent riders. And visually impaired people, of course.

Teevees, though, yuck. There are now teevees in all hospital and clinic waiting rooms. My dentist has one above the chair. There's one in my laundromat for gordssake.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 18, 2008, 06:56:45 AM »
We do have announcements for métro stops - for visually-impaired people.

Trams in Amsterdam also have those as well as visual announcements for hearing-impaired people.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 18, 2008, 11:31:06 PM »
I guess the announcements could be tuned out. (They have them on the LRTs but not on buses.) I'm just really not into increasing the surveillance and the mindless noise factor on the buses. I like having a moment of relative calm where random chatter and small talk is the only sounds around me.

arborman

• View Profile
    • http://bohemiancoast.blogspot.com
« Reply #85 on: June 19, 2008, 02:43:18 AM »
We have the announcing voice on our new buses here.  I like it when I'm going somewhere new, and it would be totally valuable for people with visual impairments.
The pleasures of the table are for every man, of every land, and no matter what place in history or society; they can be a part of all his other pleasures, and they last the longest, to console him when he has outlived the rest.

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2013, 12:46:50 PM »
I'm fucking OUTRAGED! City and Province are doing a total shakedown! $477.00 for every single person in extra taxes a year to support Metrolinx and the TTC.  :mad2  Tempers are going to SNAP! for the underpaid, low income workers/disabled/seniors, I swear to gawd there is something in the water to keep people apathetic. Austerity for us, and us only!

[size=78%][/size]http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2013/05/27/toronto-ontario-metrolinx-revenue-tools-gtha.html[size=78%][/font][/size]
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2013, 02:30:14 PM »
Toe, reading over the more recent version of this story, that is an average or median, and it includes several items you wouldn't have to pay as you don't currently own a motor vehicle. That is based on a larger household (and presumably, more income and outlay than you alone), and taxes on gasoline and other fees directly related to driving:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2013/05/27/toronto-ontario-metrolinx-revenue-tools-gtha.html?cmp=rss

Unless I'm woefully mistaken, there is no way you'd be paying anything like that.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 02:30:48 PM by lagatta »
Rosa Luxemburg

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2013, 04:12:50 PM »
Thanks Lagatta for new link. NTL, I resent even 1 more % increase in HST.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2013, 05:32:25 PM »
Well, I resent such sales and service taxes in general (they are regressive), but unless you have to make a major purchase, I don't see how this could possibly cost you over $400 per year.
Rosa Luxemburg

Return To TAT