Author Topic: The I-need-to-talk-in-the-middle-of-the-night thread  (Read 70416 times)

anne cameron

• View Profile
The I-need-to-talk-in-the-middle-of-the-night thread
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2006, 08:13:44 PM »
How big do they get?  HOw big do you want'em to get?  The big blotched bastards are the most disgusting, the black ones look like big chunks of car tire, then there are the orange ones, they're ugly, and the ones we cal "banana" are sort'a kind'a yellowy-albino-y.  Then there's this striped-y kind I'm told are "endangered".  How endangered can they be when I practically have to stand at the door of the greenhouse with a ball bat and beat the bastards off by the dozens?  All the way down to the little halfmoon shaped silvery ones which bore into the stem of the green onions and so you have to be VERY careful when making salad...they also live in the dying stems of your mexican poker plant (which is dying because of the slugs of course) and in lily stems.

Used to pay my golden boy a penny a slug, he'd patrol the garden and I made him a stick with a nail in the end so he didn't have to touch them.  The slime will NOT come off skin or clothes, I've brought jeans out of the drier and..still got silver tracks..dried..but still there.

Can you tell I detest them?

Okay, maybe it is goldenrod...it's quite pretty but not doing well...

Gigi

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2006, 02:32:27 PM »
Urgh.

Sorry I asked.

Still got nothing on the centipedes in Barbados, though ;-)

deBeauxOs

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2006, 03:05:29 PM »
Quote from: anne cameron
Okay, maybe it is goldenrod...it's quite pretty but not doing well...

Anne, I just checked out this list of wildflowers that grow in BC.  If the flowering plant that you mean has feathery leaves like ragweed, then it's probably yellow yarrow, which needs a sandy, well-drained soil to thrive. Good news is that its pollen does not provoke allergies, as far as I know.

anne cameron

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2006, 03:50:08 PM »
HHHHAAAAAHHHHAAAA

Oh most gorgeous bones...sandy well drained....HAR HAR HAR...how many people know that Tahsis has THIRTEEN FEET ANNUAL RAINFALL...well drained.......har har har  THAT is probably why the poor little buggers aren't exactly thriving..........well drained...sandy  ... SOIL???

We're perched on 20-40 feet of sawdust and hog fuel held in place by tons and even tonnes of blastrock...SOIL?    Have to buy it by the bag at the nursery...

sandy well drained soil...amazing the brave little things have managed to survive for the past three summers!!

Yep, I wrote thirteen feet and I mean thirteen feet annual rainfall.  Every year.  Except when we have a particularly WET winter and then we get up to 20 feet of rain.  Good job it doesn't all slam down at once or we'd be flattened!

Yellow yarrow, eh?  Thank you most gorgeous bones.

k'in

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2006, 10:00:35 PM »
Who gets to decide what is a “wildflower” and what is a “weed”?

When I moved to E. York, just prior to the amalgamation of the City of Toronto, I received a notice warning  that ragweed, goldenrod, Queen Anne’s lace & milkweed were considered “noxious” and that the presence of such plants on one’s property could result in the weed police stormtroopers appearing and culling said noxious weeds and issuing an invoice for this “service”.

I’ve heard of ragweed associated with allergies ever since I can remember so maybe that one is problematic.  I did cultivate one of these plants once not knowing what is was until I asked my Mom & she told me bluntly that it was a ragweed.

However, I guess I’m the subversive type as I have a tiny grove of milkweed.  It currently is in bloom, the tiny purple flowers produce a beautiful aroma that would shame most roses.  Monarch butterflies descend on it (they are symbiotic).  It’s not invasive as far as I can tell & easy to pull out. Zero maintenance.  The milk in the stalk is supposed to be beneficial in the traditional medicine sense.  It’s one of my favourite plants.

ruby

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2006, 08:16:04 AM »
I feel kind of bad for drifting this thread back to its original mandate but it's 5:14am and I've been up all night.

I had a house party awhile back and someone left a can of some "Rock Star" energy drink in the fridge. The can advertises boldly that it contains caffeine, and guarana, and taurine, and other mysterious ingredients with "extreme" effects. I thought I'd finally try it out today around noon because I was feeling a little draggy before work. The stuff is awful, tastes like Jolly Rancher candies gone bad, so I only managed to drink maybe a quarter of it. Apparently it contains A LOT of caffeine.

I went to bed at 11, tossed and turned til 1, got up and read til 2:30, went back to bed and was tormented by random thoughts til 3:30, now up and on the internet. Not a lot happening on the internet at 4 in the morning, surprisingly.

I guess this is how rock stars live...

Now what do I do? Do I stay up all day and try to go to bed at a normal hour? Or do I go to sleep when I finally feel like it?

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2006, 08:23:43 AM »
ruby, my advice, for what it's worth, is to hold on until you can take a nap around lunchtime or shortly thereafter. Just a short nap -- half an hour, maybe, will be really restorative, or at least it is for me. But don't delay that nap until late afternoon -- in my experience, at least, that means you'll still feel too awake at your normal bedtime hour. Do a good afternoon's and evening's activities, and you should be able to recover your normal patterns.

And toss the rest of that wicked liquid -- I would, given the effect it has had on you. Drink lots of water.

ruby

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2006, 08:32:17 AM »
Quote from: skdadl
And toss the rest of that wicked liquid -- I would, given the effect it has had on you. Drink lots of water.

Heh...it is wicked. At around 2, I had myself mostly convinced of all that I could get done if I just drank some of it every day, and spent some extra midnight hours cleaning or writing.  :roll:

It's long gone - I made my bf try a sip and he poured it down the drain. I'm surprised he wasn't up until at least 1:30.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2006, 08:38:35 AM »
Although I often have interrupted sleep, I almost never have trouble getting to sleep when I first go to bed. Last night for some reason I did. I started thinking about too many things that had gone on in the day, too many pressures, some angry things ... but you know what does it? At some point in that succession, you think to yourself, OMG I've got insomnia! And as soon as the thought is there, your goose is cooked!  

After a couple of hours of misery, I cheated. I had to calm down. So I took one of my precious stash of teensy Ativans (have lasted for three years), relaxed right away, and slept right through. Feel great this a.m.

Well, except for the thought: this is the six-month anniversary of the day that Thorfinn died. That thought was one of the ones swirling about last night. I think what it means to me is that I should have pulled self together better by now than I have, and maybe now is the time to start. I dunno. Maybe.

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2006, 08:49:09 AM »
Absolutely not skdadl!!

In my experience six months or so is right when it hits you full blast. Others have moved on, but you still think I wonder what x would think of this and then realize that x isn't there to discuss it with anymore.

My mom has been gone for 11 years now and just the other day I picked up the phone to call her. Never let anyone most especially yourself tell you that you should be over it. There is no such thing as over it there is only gradual acceptance that it is the way things are now.
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2006, 08:59:42 AM »
Let yourself live according to the wisdom of your inner self, or something like that.  :hug You will eventually be surprised at yourself.

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2006, 09:01:11 AM »
I second what Debra said, skdadl. I was completely gob-smacked by a death when I was 20. Somehow, my being 20 made people around me think I should 'bounce' better or something. I was getting fresh stabs of grief for months and months and months.

You do what you gotta do, skdadl. There is no schedule for grief.

brebis noire

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2006, 09:14:00 AM »
Quote from: fern hill
There is no schedule for grief.

You are so right.

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2006, 09:53:12 AM »
Oh, *hugs* skdadl, if they'll help.

I remember my mom marking off these anniversaries after my uncle (her brother) died and hating the calendar for triggering her grief. Fern's right that there's no schedule for grief but our sense of time sure does a lot to bring back things we thought were gone.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2006, 09:56:06 AM »
It seems arbitrary and silly, doesn't it, a bit of magical thinking, and yet that evening, when I first phoned Thorfinn's son to tell him, very early in the conversation he suddenly said, "The 19th of January." And then I repeated that. And then we both repeated it. We repeated it several times. For a few minutes, it was all we could say.

Return To TAT