Author Topic: The Barbeque Thread  (Read 21508 times)

chester

• View Profile
The Barbeque Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 03:09:05 PM »
i love argentines!  a woman i work with is and another staff made some comment about not "liking" beef and i'm all like "i like beef" and the argentine's all like "mmmmm, steak"  :D

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
The Barbeque Thread
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 04:30:41 PM »
I love good beef, but I'm wary of beef on most restaurant menus -- when it isn't great, it can be very very bad, very reminiscent of something marinated in mothballs. These days I never order beef unless I can see the raw meat first, something we used to be able to do so happily at the grill in Three Small Rooms, eg. Oh, for one of their filets once more -- gone, gone, all gone.   :(

Our meat used to be better. Our corn used to be better. Wah.  :wink:

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
The Barbeque Thread
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 05:04:36 PM »
There may be hope.  Last weekend I bought some corn at Dominion, labelled "two color" or maybe it was "yellow and white".  At any rate, it didn't say "Peaches and Cream", so I guessed/hoped/prayed it would not be the official hybrid.  It wasn't the corn of my youth, but it wasn't sickly sweet, didn't go pop all over my mouth, and actually had a bit of chew to it.

Beef-wise, I'm pretty much hooked on either Grace Meats (a small independent butcher on College that's done us proud on steak), the Healthy Butcher on Queen (where I tried a very tasty Skirt Steak recently) or the Columbian butcher in Kensington, who was kind enough to carry an entire huge frozen leg out from the back to bandsaw me off two shanks.  Nice guy, really good beef.

One thing I've started to do recently is to rest my steaks just like I'd rest a roast.  Take them off one notch before they're to your liking (eg: if you like medium rare, take them off rare) wrap them in tinfoil, and go make the salad or something.  5 minutes rest allows the juices to redistribute, and the steak keeps cooking gently, so it's more evenly done throughout.

Finally, on the subject of beef, I have a wicked Mexican recipe that calls for a hand cut ribeye, sliced about 1.25" thick, stuffed with a mixture of caramelized onions and garlic, oregano and old cheddar cheese (lightly melted in the pan with everything else) then grilled, and served with a sauce made from queso fresco, a few serrano chilis, and a douse of tequila.  I think I've mentioned it before, but it's so drooly that I'm mentioning it again.  A few skewered mushrooms, a fresh salad, and maybe a bib round out the meal.
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

chester

• View Profile
The Barbeque Thread
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 05:09:34 PM »
Quote from: Herr Magoo
Finally, on the subject of beef, I have a wicked Mexican recipe that calls for a hand cut ribeye, sliced about 1.25" thick, stuffed with a mixture of caramelized onions and garlic, oregano and old cheddar cheese (lightly melted in the pan with everything else) then grilled, and served with a sauce made from queso fresco, a few serrano chilis, and a douse of tequila.  I think I've mentioned it before, but it's so drooly that I'm mentioning it again.  A few skewered mushrooms, a fresh salad, and maybe a bib round out the meal.

:eat   what time is dinner?

lagatta

• View Profile
The Barbeque Thread
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 05:23:18 PM »
That Mexican recipe sounds lovely, but the Argies would find it overelaborate. They do marinate etc some cuts now, and might use oregano or similar herbs, but they don't like elaborate or strong spices with beef, except for the chimichurri.

I'm not much of a meat-eater at all, but will make an exception for an asado - though I eat tiny quantities by their standards.

Our vegetarian friends are still in Cuba - if not there would definitely be portobello mushrooms and other veg on the grill, but as it is I'll probably just sauté some regular mushrooms I have with olive oil and garlic, and take a green salad as well, from the market.

This will be on Saturday - the eve of La Saint Jean.  On Sunday, in a park near here, there is the neighbourhood St-Jean concert, this year spotlighting people from Haiti. That should be fun.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
The Barbeque Thread
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 06:22:05 PM »
but as it is I'll probably just sauté some regular mushrooms I have with olive oil and garlic,

Can't go wrong with that, but if you'd rather grill them, try stringing a few up on bamboo skewers.  I've taken to doing that with boiled new potatoes too.  Slather them with whatever you wish.  The important part is that they don't roll all over (off of?) the grill.  And they look good on a plate.
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Barbeque Thread
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2007, 06:40:30 AM »
:eat

Oh, gosh, kuri -- that looks delish. And you are becoming most artful at presentation. Yum yum drool. So near and yet so far ...

Croghan27

• View Profile
The Barbeque Thread
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2007, 06:43:41 AM »
Today is the day of a major Internation Competition. The Great Ottawa International Chicken & Rib Cook-Off is on today in yer Sparkl'in Street Mall.  :age:

THE INTERNATIONAL
CHICKEN-RIB COOK-OFF

June 15-18: 12:00 Noon - 8 PM
Sunday June 19: 12 Noon - 6 PM

For five full days, June 15 - 19, teams from Canada and the United States will compete for the top rank of best rib choice, best rib sauce, best chicken choice and best chicken sauce.

Unfortunately this subject is so ripe with commercial possibilities in a cut throat business mileau it is difficult to find a valid website about it from google, but the folks I know that attended last year said there is lot of fun to be had by bar-b-quers. The participants, although serious, are friendly and willing to discuss techniques and even recipes .
 :yay:  :applause:  :yay:
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The Barbeque Thread
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2007, 06:47:14 AM »
Ooh. I would go to that. You do get to eat, yes?

Croghan27

• View Profile
The Barbeque Thread
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2007, 06:53:19 AM »
Quote from: skdadl
Ooh. I would go to that. You do get to eat, yes?

The sun and the moon have come into cync - I got an overtime cheque yesterday. "We Do eat, yes."   :lol:
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
The Barbeque Thread
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2007, 11:27:07 AM »
:lol: London, ON also hosts an annual "Rib Fest."  My mom goes every year, without fail. They do other foods too, so I usually got dragged along (hey, what's a vegetarian doing at Ribfest?!).

In summer 2002, while my mom was recovering from surgery, I caught her babbling about Ribfest and "I'm going to miss it" etc.

My husband loves ribs, but hates dining in a bee-filled atmosphere. Also, London Ribfest isn't much cheaper than restaurant/indoor ribs.

My mom and husband bonded over their mutual love of BBQ meat. It's approx 90% of their cumulative total conversation :lol:

lagatta

• View Profile
The Barbeque Thread
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2007, 12:03:42 PM »
That is ridiculous, if the ribs and other things (any good  vegetarian grilled things?) are not much cheaper than in a restaurant...

If you eat cheese, grill  some pre-cooked,  firm polenta and melt some cheese on top of it. Yum!

There is a big Portuguese event every summer here (think it is in August) at the Portuguese church at the corner of St-Urbain and Rachel, featuring grilled chicken and sardines, other foods, and homemade wine. It is not very expensive, and fun. Also think they have tents and awnings, so it is not too too out in the open air. Never noticed much of a fly or wasp problem at it.

I'm trying to get confirmation of the asado tonight, as C (the chef) had been a bit under the weather... I simply can't eat a lot of red meat, and don't want to get stuck with it.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
The Barbeque Thread
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2007, 12:07:05 PM »
Down here in the USA, a lot of things are not that much cheaper than eating at a restaurant... I can spend up to $150 in groceries here per week if I don't eat out.  At some restaurants, I can get TWO decent meals for, oh, $12 (ie, the portions are so large that you just take half home).  Do the math.

I cook anyway, but I also eat out.

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
The Barbeque Thread
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »
lagatta, I can always count on you for the yummy food suggestions :D Grilled polenta & cheese sounds fab!

Quote from: Mandos
Down here in the USA, a lot of things are not that much cheaper than eating at a restaurant... I can spend up to $150 in groceries here per week if I don't eat out. At some restaurants, I can get TWO decent meals for, oh, $12 (ie, the portions are so large that you just take half home). Do the math.

I believe it!  A friend of ours in NYC has a similar dilemma.

Return To TAT