Author Topic: Morgan Tsvangirai beaten by Mugabe's thugs  (Read 4966 times)

deBeauxOs

Morgan Tsvangirai beaten by Mugabe's thugs
« on: March 14, 2007, 10:37:34 PM »
I just heard this on Radio-Canada. From here:
A week ago he was an opposition figure at risk of fading from the political scene. Today, images of Morgan Tsvangirai's battered and swollen face are world news, shaming even the African Union to admit that it is embarrassed by the actions of Robert Mugabe's thugs. The brutal beating in custody of Zimbabwe's most famous trade unionist has focused attention on the sufferings endured by his countrymen after seven years of ineffective electioneering by his Movement for Democratic Change.
Also,
The main opposition leader was moved into the intensive care unit of a private hospital in Harare yesterday after suffering a suspected fractured skull, brain injury and internal bleeding.

"There are lots of people who've been subjected to this kind of torture, this kind of brutality by this regime," Mr Tsvangirai said in an interview with local media from his hospital bed.

"It just shows the extent to which this desperate regime is trying to protect its power. For the struggle, I think it's an inspiration to everyone. There is no freedom without struggle, and there is no freedom without sacrifice."
from this source.

And finally, from the CBC:
Police used tear gas, water cannons and live ammunition to crush Sunday's gathering by the Save Zimbabwe Campaign, a coalition of opposition, church and civic groups, in Harare's western township of Highfield. Police shot and killed one opposition activist, identified as Gift Tandare.
On Radio-Canada, one of the women present at the gathering said that it was a prayer meeting but that it was invaded by the police because of the type of people attending were perceived as threatening to Mugabe.

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 08:54:45 AM »
There's a long and painful discussion about this on babble. Sympathetic though I am to people who suspect the U.S. and international financial orgs of playing nasty games in Zimbabwe, I think the logic of "the enemy of my enemy" runs up against some real problems in Mugabe. The guy has got to go.

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2007, 01:45:20 PM »
But Mugabe stood up to the White Oppressors!  He was a Marxist!  He flips the bird to the U.S.!

One can hardly blame them for not wanting to criticize Mugabe and be branded a quisling, a sellout, a "useful idiot", a neo-con, or a troll.

And even if one's credentials are impeccable, who wants to have to mouth an oath promising to be equally critical of every other African leader, nor provide on demand an explanation of why you take an interest in Zimbabwe in the first place.  

There's some peer control going on there, bigtime.  "The group" does NOT want Mugabe criticized, and they'll do what they have to to ensure that.
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

deBeauxOs

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2007, 11:02:08 PM »
Well it's only par for the course.  In public his peers won't criticize him but I can only imagine what they say in private, far away from his ears.

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 11:34:00 PM »
Quote from: Herr Magoo
But Mugabe stood up to the White Oppressors!  He was a Marxist!  He flips the bird to the U.S.!

Well, I think you're oversimplifying it.

Mugabe has to go. But we (the collective 'we' of those of us who benefit from empire) are also responsible for what happened over there. When I was in Britain, I was really shocked at the lack of history in the reporting there. Nothing went back further than a few years, except for one article.

It was written by the former PM of Rhodesia, who recalled all the "smiling black faces" when he ruled benevolently. It's little wonder people don't understand how the blowback of someone like Mugabe came to pass.

Change has to come from within, not from meddling current and former "great powers". Change from within is the only lasting kind, anyway, I strongly believe.

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 11:49:18 PM »
OK, but...

Mugabe has to go.

... if you can just say that, so could everyone over there that's rushing to make sure this whole criticizing Mugabe thing doesn't get out of hand.  It puzzles me when it looks as though not breaking ranks outweighs just saying what's obvious.  Does what you said truly need to be qualified?  If you don't criticize the U.S., or Israel, twice as much, should that raise my hackles?

Kewl avatar, BTW.  Baldrick was genius.

Change from within is the only lasting kind, anyway, I strongly believe.

I agree.
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

Toedancer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 12:12:21 AM »
Having spent some time there (while this madman was rising) I find it quite upsetting to see such ignorance displayed. Like it or not S. Africa must be involved, because no real politics actually exists there. Sitting safely in Canada is easy, until you've experienced ordinary, everyday, deaths by bullets for simply being somewhat democratic, you can't even imagine the everyday life of a farmer for instance. Farmers are found with bullets in their head all the time and since before this madman was even on the rise.

Oh yes he must go, but the vacuum will be defeaning. Corruption is a way of life, it is the bone marrow of all.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 02:48:07 PM »
This is a very exhaustive look at the political situation in Zimbabwe (published in 2005).

Labor, the State, and the Struggle for a Democratic Zimbabwe

by Patrick Bond and Richard Saunders

Some excerpts:

...There was similar ambiguity within South Africa’s independent left. At the opening of a mass demonstration of nearly 20,000 against the Johannesburg World Summit on Sustainable Development in 2002, a leader of the Landless People’s Movement (LPM) called out from the stage, “Viva Robert Mugabe, Viva! Viva ZANU-PF, Viva!” to applause from a large rural delegation. In response, Trevor Ngwane (nephew of the assassinated Zimbabwean liberation leader Herbert Chitepo), who is a key figure in the country’s main radical urban social movement, the Anti-Privatization Forum (APF), took the microphone: “While we are happy to have unity with the landless, we respectfully disagree on the matter of Mugabe. He is a dictator and he has killed many Zimbabweans.” In early 2005, the LPM, APF, and Jubilee South Africa engaged in a joint fact-finding mission to Zimbabwe on the shared premise that Mugabe was a repressive dictator. Even though they did not have a consensus statement on the election, South Africa’s leftist movements agree that both urban and rural social movement solidarity must be established for the long haul....

...Reserve Bank Governor Gideon Gono is leading efforts to liberalize not just the monetary system but the whole economy and to re-engage international institutions like the IMF and the World Bank. Politically the party is softening its attack on western powers, as by the recent IMF debt repayments.”

In this confusing context, certainly the biggest challenge for Zimbabwean labor is to survive so it can fight another day and in the process to strengthen links to left-leaning allies in community organizations and social movements. The society’s dangerous drift may only be reversed once labor and its progressive civic allies set the opposition’s agenda firmly to the left.

In the midst of the brief threat that Zimbabwe might be expelled from the IMF, a leading MDC figure saw fit publicly to ask the IMF to impose on Zimbabwe “a wide range of reforms designed to strengthen the private sector and the market mechanism.” The MDC division is, at surface level, over whether or not to participate in electoral politics. But the split also reflects the incoherent coalition of ZCTU and civil-society leftists with political elites and neoliberals who are unabashed in seeking support from the Bretton Woods Institutions and the Blair and Bush regimes. The goal of the imperial powers is the creation of a “corporatist” coalition between the MDC and “reasonable” ZANU-PF figures based on an “elite-transition” program that reintegrates Zimbabwe into the U.S.-UK world order. Mbeki prefers to let ZANU-PF retain power, with a post-Mugabe regime guided by the business bloc around the neoliberal central banker Gono and potentially led by former finance minister Simba Makoni....

http://www.monthlyreview.org/1205bondsaunders.htm
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 08:21:33 PM »
More evidence of the west's hypocritical view of Zimbabwe and post-colonial messes in general:

The home office is seeking to deport the Zimbabwean teenager who exposed a major sex-for-asylum scandal in the Immigration Service, The Observer has learnt.

The move comes as the government prepares to deport hundreds of Zimbabweans in anticipation of winning a crucial test case next month that would allow it to resume deportations. The government is also sending letters to hundreds of Zimbabwean asylum-seekers telling them they should consider returning home - despite the near collapse of the country's economic and political stability and increasing state-sponsored violence.

... Last year Tanya was at the centre of the Observer investigation that resulted in the Home Office minister, Tony McNulty, being moved from his post. The exposé revealed allegations that officials in the Immigration Service were offering to help asylum seekers with their applications to remain in the UK in return for sex. One official was sacked from his job and is now the subject of a criminal investigation. Other examples of serious malpractice came to light following the scandal.

... 'I'm ashamed by the callous attitude of the Home Office,' said Kate Hoey, who chairs the all-party parliamentary group on Zimbabwe. 'What message does this send to vulnerable women around the world, let alone in Zimbabwe, about attitudes to victims of sexual abuse in the UK?'

Hoey accused the government of operating a blanket policy by seeking to return all Zimbabwean asylum seekers. 'The Home Office should be trying to do what is morally right, not just ticking boxes to meet bean counters' targets so ministers can reel off statistics,' Hoey said. 'Can they tell me how many teenage girls' lives have been wrecked by their failure to act?'

Guardian

I mean, on the one hand, when we're talking for the international cameras, Mugabe leads a murderous, brutal regime. But then, on the other hand, when we're considering refugee applications, it's all sunlight and roses down there. Nice trick, that.

Caissa

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 07:38:52 AM »
Mugabe has to go. As Magoo says at some other sites, I'd have to list every other leader that has to go to just to avoid accusations of hypocrisy.

kuri

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 08:18:27 AM »
And the asylum seekers must be permitted to stay. That's something we can actually, legitimately do. Right now. In the west.

Return To TAT