Author Topic: Workers over fifty  (Read 2940 times)

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
Workers over fifty
« on: March 17, 2007, 08:55:12 AM »
This has been a funny week for coincidences. At least three women I know, all over fifty, have found themselves in employment crises and suddenly looking into the abyss -- a situation I know well m'self.

I know this isn't just a problem for women, either, although women are more likely to be lacking in any kind of safety net of their own than are men. But many people's benefits are under siege these days, so this could become an even more serious problem in the future.

Anyway, I'm thinking that we need some creative way for older workers to fight back -- I just don't have any very good ideas about how to organize that. Anyone else?

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Workers over fifty
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 09:43:03 AM »
Eeeee. As a woman of a certain age, this one scares the bejeebus out of me too, skdadl. The person I get most of my work from is about 4 years from retirement. When replaced by some young'un. . .? Will this old broad continue to get work? Stay tuned. . .

Croghan27

• View Profile
Workers over fifty
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 10:47:10 AM »
I used to apply for work as a hoby. Sometimes it would work and sometimes not. One thing it did do is get me shipped to Houston, Chicago, Vancouver, Alberta and Toronto (before I lived there.). If you are flown there, you just about have the job. I used to turn them down beacuse at the time I had a job and a whole middle class thing going on.  :working  

I know folks in most of these places, so my time there was well spent.   :toast

Now the offers are conspicious in the absence - I have spoken to Paris and Dubai on the phone - but have got to farther.   :(  Some of them sounded quite promising ---- until.... something happened.  :headbutt

I know a lady in Kuwait - she tells me that all the big companies are, by law, not allowed to import any workers over the age of 50.  :age:

The oil is owned by the government, and what they want, they get.  Unlike our method where the authorities go to the companies and suggest things like; "er...er..er.. maybe you could, maybe, possibly, if it not too much trouble, stop killing off our native population (please).  
Canadians -->:cluebat: <-- oil companies

Waddaya gonna do? Shit (as they say) happens. :ducking
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Workers over fifty
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 11:20:15 AM »
Quote from: Croghan27
I used to apply for work as a hoby.

What does a hoby do? Is it some kinda oil patch job?  8)

Croghan27

• View Profile
Workers over fifty
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 12:38:13 PM »
Yo fern:

What does a hoby do? Is it some kinda oil patch job?

My hoby was applying - if you are ever are feeling badly about yourself, apply for a job at a large oil corporation. The letter, turning you down, begins by saying how impressed they are by your knowledge and experience.

I had sort of an oil patch job. My experience is in refineries, rather than producing wells, even if I 'do' compressors and pumps too.

Very little oil is 'processed' in the middle east - it goes through a reducing unit, that takes out the very light ends to make it safer to ship, what is left, an even heavier crude, is shipped.

This, I undertand is changing, but still is the norm. I ended up writing procedures and manuals on how to do it without costing the company a kazillion dollars, or killing yourself. Both of which could spoil your whole day. :(
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

kuri

• View Profile
Workers over fifty
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 02:04:23 PM »
My Dad, though he doesn't say it in so many ways, is worried about this. He's always been a "jump before you're pushed" kind of guy, and is now considering an oil patch job in South America, mostly brought on by his current employer/contracter asking for his resume out of the blue.

Myself being on the other end (very little experience), I find it sort of hard to understand how older workers would be in a pinch, except for those that did the same role for a really long time. There's a woman at my work who has the same position as me, but she's done it for the past 12 years. She also likes it a lot more than me. I can't help that if she were to apply for something different, employers might (perhaps unfairly) think she can no longer do anything else.

Return To TAT