Author Topic: German polar bear cub  (Read 5241 times)

brebis noire

• View Profile
German polar bear cub
« on: March 20, 2007, 08:17:02 AM »

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
German polar bear cub
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 08:23:59 AM »
How is that animal rights exactly?

How weird. :?
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
German polar bear cub
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 08:51:43 AM »
Well, it's a very extreme kind of animals' rights, not so different from PETA, I should think.

They're arguing that we humans are doing awful things to wild animals by keeping them in zoos rather than in their natural habitat (which we are destroying), and they are no doubt right on that score.

However, the damage to habitat has happened/is happening. If saving species in zoos and (better) nature reserves is the best we can do for now, I say do it. The perfect is the enemy of the good and all that -- these people are zealots.

lagatta

• View Profile
German polar bear cub
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 09:20:29 AM »
Der Spiegel has been covering Knut since the polar bear's birth - as the weekly says, Knut won't remain small, cute and harmless for long, nor will he be fixated on the human who reared him - polar bears are solitary predators. I think some animal rights activists may have memories of Elsa the lioness, but lions are among the few felines to live in family groups, so their instinctive behaviour is different from that of solitary carnivores.

I hope Knut, as cute Knut, and as the powerful predator he will become, will help people realise how important the preservation of arctic habitats is.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
German polar bear cub
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 09:24:32 AM »
But now animal rights activists are calling for him to be put down - using the poison T16, no less. Why? Because bottle-feeding him by hand, snuggling him and generally suppressing his natural predator instincts - to be fierce and fend for himself - is not "species appropriate, but a gross violation of animal protection laws", according to Frank Albrecht, an activist.

What kind of sick bastard would snuggle an animal?  That's just horrible beyond words.   I predict that the abbatoir/killing floor videos that animal rights KooKs love to show will soon be replaced with videos of a human torturer snuggling this little guy, along with a grave warning that ladies, the infirm, or those of weak constitution should look away.

Well, it's a very extreme kind of animals' rights, not so different from PETA, I should think.

In other words, stoopid.
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

brebis noire

• View Profile
German polar bear cub
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 09:30:49 AM »
I have a wonderful kids' story called The Polar Bear Son, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/produc ... 55&s=books .
I'm not absolutely sure it's a traditional tale (though I tend to think it is) but it does point out that we aren't the first generation of people to adopt wild animals (duh). Polar bears may be solitary predators, but they are still mammals, and mammals normally make intense bonds when they are young that affect the way their brain develops, and of course their behaviour. Knut will be nothing like a wild polar bear, but that's no reason to kill him.

Timebandit

• View Profile
German polar bear cub
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 04:42:53 PM »
If global warming continues, soon there will be no polar bears at all, except in zoos.  

Extinction is something eminently natural, but not something I'm in a hurry to help along.  

The people calling for the bear to be euthanized are heartless.
Whenever anyone has offended me, I try to raise my soul so high that the offense cannot reach it. -Rene Descartes, philosopher and mathematician (1596-1650)

lagatta

• View Profile
German polar bear cub
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 04:52:33 PM »
I just hope none of them ever call for INUIT to be euthanised as they can no longer live their traditional lives due to the impact of global warming.  :shock:

This is such a pity, as it discredits the important issue of animal welfare and protection of habitats. But it isn't the first time these fanatics have done that.
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

German polar bear cub
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 06:34:10 PM »
Quote from: skdadl
They're arguing that we humans are doing awful things to wild animals by keeping them in zoos rather than in their natural habitat (which we are destroying), and they are no doubt right on that score.

But if it is the humans who have destroyed habitats and then committed a further crime by hand-feeding a wild animal, doesn't it make more sense to call for the murder of those human beings who created the mess in the first place?? I totally don't get how calling for the murder of this wee cub is 'animal rights'. Where's the snort smiley?

Does the zoo plan on releasing the bear into the wild? If not, the caging and feeding of the animal by humans is no different than the situation faced by other zoo animals.

lagatta

• View Profile
German polar bear cub
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 05:40:15 PM »
More pics of Knut, including his first outing.

There is something so awwww about huge, powerful predators when they are cute and small...

He'll obviously need a different type of enclosure as he grows.
Rosa Luxemburg

Debra

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • April Reign
Re: German polar bear cub
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 01:32:48 PM »
“Damaged people are dangerous. They know they can survive.” —  Josephine Hart

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 02:55:37 PM »
Oh no. :crying

More on Knut from the English-language edition of Der Spiegel:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/0,1518,752006,00.html
Rosa Luxemburg

Herr Magoo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 10:22:28 AM »
Par-tay time for the animal rights KooKs.
ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°`°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,¸_¸,ø¤°°¤ø,

Return To TAT