Author Topic: Fired for being/becoming transgender?  (Read 5913 times)

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Fired for being/becoming transgender?
« on: March 24, 2007, 06:52:54 PM »
I'd seen references to this here and there, but I just realized that this is happening quite close to where my mother lives. I will find out more. How the hell can they get away with this?

Tampa Bay Newspapers

Decision to fire Steve Stanton stands
By SUZETTE PORTER
LARGO – After listening to opinions for almost six hours, the Largo City Commission voted, 5-2, to fire long-time City Manager Steve Stanton just after midnight on Saturday.

Mayor Pat Gerard and Commissioner Rodney Woods voted against the resolution to terminate the city manager’s contract.

Stanton has been on paid administrative leave since Feb. 27 when the council first approved, 5-2, a resolution spearheaded by Commissioner Mary Gray Black to begin the termination proceedings. The vote came less than a week after Stanton made a public announcement that he was transgendered and planned to undergo gender reassignment.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 11:26:05 PM »
Yo fern:

It appears that many if not most of the people in that area are really rather reasonable types:
The majority, almost 70 percent, asked the commission to reconsider its decision. Not all the speakers were in support of Stanton. Some admitted they didn’t even know the man. They urged the commission to vote for diversity in the work place. Many said the decision to terminate the city manager’s was job discrimination. Religious leaders asked commissioners to show compassion.

Yet it appears there is always the self appointed director of moral probity, here is one winner:
.....Rev. Ron Sanders, pastor of the Lighthouse Baptist Church in Largo, said God has protected Largo over the years from killer hurricanes because of the abundance of prayers.

But, he warned, “The Lord wants me to say some things.”

“God’s wrath is on America right now,” Sanders said.

He pointed to the 911 terrorist attacks and the devastation of New Orleans by Hurricane Katrina.

Sanders said the gay, lesbian and transgender lifestyle is “an abomination against God.” He said if the city allows Stanton to stay in office, “He will be a hero to all of those weirdos from New Orleans who are looking for a new home.”
I would love to hear Rick Mercer give his evaluation of that bit of invocation.

The amazing part about Americans is that they are such good people, have accomplished so many great things, despite allowing these unrepresentative voices to speak for them.
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

fern hill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 01:28:35 PM »
From the St. Pete Times, a pretty good newspaper in the area.

LARGO - Of all of Steve Stanton's bosses, she seemed the most likely to change her mind.

Largo City Commissioner Gay Gentry had a reputation for voting her conscience even when it was extremely unpopular.

And four years ago, she supported a proposed citywide law that would have protected gay and transgender people from discrimination.

But, in the end, her vote helped seal Stanton's fate.

Hmm, seems there's a bit more to it. Natch.

Employees, she said she had learned, were afraid of him and his expectation of perfection. Now he, she believed, sought more understanding and tolerance than he had displayed as a manager.

"It could have been anything," she said. "Suddenly the rules were changing and he was asking to be dealt with in a different way than he was dealing with people."

But Gentry insisted her decision didn't have anything to do with transgenderism. She could support his "hard-nosed, my-way-or-the-highway" leadership style "provided he held himself to the same standards," she said.

Gentry said she had concerns about his dealings with employees before. She mentioned them to him, but she didn't push him to change. She didn't want to micromanage him.

But once Stanton announced his intentions - and requested the City Commission grant him the time to convince city employees he could do his job as a woman - Gentry said she felt it was time to scrutinize personnel issues more closely. And she called former and current employees.

They told her that he was quick to fire, he didn't accept them for what they were, and he wasn't always understanding when they had medical issues of their own, she said. "He had not done for them what he wanted them to do for him," she said.

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 05:02:23 PM »
Gentry said she felt it was time to scrutinize personnel issues more closely. And she called former and current employees.

They told her that he was quick to fire, he didn't accept them for what they were, and he wasn't always understanding when they had medical issues of their own, she said. "He had not done for them what he wanted them to do for him," she said.

Well then what we he fired for? Seeking to become in body as well as mind a woman?

Or conduct not in accord to city standards of operation?

As our good friend Jason C. would ask: "Oh, how do you spell w-e-a-s-e-l?"
"It is also a good rule not to put overmuch confidence in the observational results that are put forward until they are confirmed by theory." -- Arthur Stanley Eddington

fern hill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 05:23:19 PM »
Well, it sounds to me as if the gyu/gril was something of an asshole boss. Then he goes all gooey wanting considerations he didn't offer his own employees.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

I'll call Mummy tomorrow and get  her take on it.

deBeauxOs

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 11:08:38 PM »
The whole situation seeds very messy to me.  It appears that he asked for personal consideration that he did not grant to his own staff.  One should lead by example.  Stanton may have been outed by an employee who felt unjustly fired and used this strategy to show up the inconsistency of the employment standards for city staff.  

It wouldn't surprise me that in addition to suing the city of Largo for unjust dismissal, he makes some sweet deal to write a 'tell-all' book and then sell his story for a movie-of-the-week.  Transgendered and transsexual folks are human; some are victims of discrimination, others use and abuse the system.

Croghan27

• View Profile
Re: Fired for being/becoming transgender?
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 11:31:51 AM »
I got this from the government website this morning. I had never heard of it before ... but it is a good idea.  :D

Sunday, May 17, is the International Day Against Homophobia
The 2009 campaign Homosexuality Knows No Borders is aimed at making the general public, particularly ethno-cultural communities of all backgrounds, more aware of gay and lesbian issues, and sexual diversity. You are encouraged to visit the International Day Against Homophobia’s Web site for further details about this year’s campaign.

PWGSC is committed to an inclusive work environment. PRIDE at Work—the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender (GLBT) Network—is a peer support group for the department’s GLBT employees. The Network, established in 2002, highlights the need to support an inclusive and diversified workplace, free of discrimination, with dignity and respect as key values in the workforce.

Visit the PRIDE (People Respecting Individual Diversity everywhere) at Work Intranet site for more information.

sparqui

• View Profile
    • http://resettlethis.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 03:49:32 PM »
From my inbox:

A chance to make history for trans people

In the next few weeks, the House of Commons will be voting on a proposed law to make it illegal to discriminate against transsexual or transgendered people and to make violence against transexual and transgendered people a hate crime.
Burnaby MP Bill Siksay has tried to get C-389, a private members bill, made law twice before. But this time, has made it to third reading, a critical stage in the process of becoming law.

But C-389 needs your support. Two conservative members of parliament voted against the bill in committee and you can bet transphobic organizations and lobbyists are gearing up to defeat this bill.

Please tell your MP that you support Bill C-389 and you want to see trans people enjoy protection from discrimination and you want to see violence against trans people treated as hate crimes.

I hope the Liberals don't f*ck this up.
If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a tractor. -- Gilles Duceppe

Croghan27

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 05:02:18 PM »
Here is a story I found in the NB Media Co-op.

Michelle Rayner, a student at my old university, was assaulted in a bathroom. (It was in a UNB building, but that is a side issue.)

Any passer-by would honestly confuse me for male and think nothing of it, for which I hold no grudge or frustration.

However, I am currently female, and once the foreseeable awkward confusion occurs I use the opportunity to educate on androgyny and the use of gender-neutral pronouns.

This is all I have seen of this ... perhaps some stalwart BnRer from NB can direct me to some further information.

lagatta

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 06:10:25 PM »
Transgender people face horrible discrimination and violence. But the story of Michelle Rayner and the public toilets raises a difficult issues of accomodating different rights - transpeoples' right to self-define and women's right not to live in fear of sexual assault. I'm sure that whatever Michelle's sexual orientation, she isn't a rapist, but she is visibly "male" and there is no way of assuring she isn't claiming to be trans to do dirty deeds.

And a question, neutral pronouns? Not many people like to be called "it", which is the neutral singular pronoun in English. I don't even like calling cats "it".
" Eure \'Ordnung\' ist auf Sand gebaut. Die Revolution wird sich morgen schon \'rasselnd wieder in die Höhe richten\' und zu eurem Schrecken mit Posaunenklang verkünden: \'Ich war, ich bin, ich werde sein!\' "
Rosa Luxemburg

sparqui

• View Profile

sparqui

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 05:38:54 PM »
VOTE, VOTE, VOTE!

Should  Parliament support the NDP MP’s Bill to amend the Canadian Human Right  Act to add gender identity and gender expression as grounds for  prohibited discrimination?

http://www.edholder.ca/poll/

skdadl

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pogge.ca
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 05:58:22 PM »
VOTE, VOTE, VOTE!

Should  Parliament support the NDP MP’s Bill to amend the Canadian Human Right  Act to add gender identity and gender expression as grounds for  prohibited discrimination?

http://www.edholder.ca/poll/

Gah. We're losing, but not by much -- 47 per cent to 52 per cent. So

VOTE VOTE VOTE!

sparqui

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 07:31:26 PM »
It was 46% when I voted so that's something!

But yes... VOTE, VOTE, VOTE.

Berlynn

• View Profile
    • http://politicsnpoetry.wordpress.com
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 07:50:49 PM »
51 to 48 now.  :applause
Never retreat, never explain, never apologize--get the thing done and let them howl.  -- Nellie McClung

Return To TAT