Author Topic: Facebook  (Read 107488 times)

fern hill

• View Profile
    • http://scathinglywrongrightwingnutz.blogspot.com/
Facebook
« on: March 27, 2007, 08:34:14 AM »
I just hit the link from PB and was told I'm using a 'really old browser' and I'm incompatible. So, what is Facebook?

Mandos

• View Profile
    • http://politblogo.typepad.com/
Facebook
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 08:49:01 AM »
Facebook is basically a place for extremely annoying undergraduate students (ie, all of them) to post personal profiles and pictures while demanding that others acknowledge publicly their "friendship" (which establishes a web link between two profiles).

Caissa

• View Profile
Facebook
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 08:49:20 AM »
I just read an article in Macleans that says female bloggers swear more than male bloggers.  :D

kuri

• View Profile
Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 08:50:17 AM »
Deleted to remove personal information.

fern hill

• View Profile
Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 08:57:52 AM »
Fuck Maclean's.

justme

• View Profile
Facebook
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 08:59:37 AM »
Quote from: fern hill
Fuck Maclean's.

you go grrl!  Who else?

Caissa

• View Profile
Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 09:11:30 AM »
I'm glad she didn't say fuck The Walrus. :D

brebis noire

• View Profile
Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 09:18:33 AM »
Fuck les éléctions.  :)

Toedancer

• View Profile
Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 09:44:49 AM »
My clothed ass is on Facebook! My D thought it would be hilarious to post a family pic of our butts knocking each other (it's a wee dance we do and her gf took the shot) The caption reads "my butt in 35 years".

The first reply was from an a gyu saying I like yours better. Well no duh.

Fuck Facebook!
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

GDKitty

• View Profile
    • http://hopeandonions.blogspot.com
Facebook
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 10:21:53 AM »
What a coinkydink: Our institution's monthly HR newsletter included a blurb-warning about "Socialization websites":
Many students are using communal websites such as MySpace and Facebook to stay in touch with a wide circle of friends and acquaintances. At the same time, the posting of inappropriate comments and photographs has also caused concern on c a m p u s e s . On - l i n e information has  been posted that has resulted in students and faculty members being harassed, threatened, taunted and humiliated. Here are some things to consider if you use social on-line networks:
1. Stay safe. Don't post personal information such as your telephone number, address or class schedule. Sharing personal information can lead to unwanted contact by people you may not know.
2. Be cautious about what you post. Assume that the information will be  around forever and may result in unexpected and negative consequences.
3. On-line content is not private. In the USA, police departments and university administrators routinely use these pages to monitor student behaviour that may be illegal or may violate student codes of conduct.
4. Think about the image you project. Potential employers are now routinely searching sites as another way to gather information about potential employees. There are documented cases of applicants being refused employment because of the content of their websites.
5. Respect always matters. New and exciting technologies don't absolve any of us from being considerate of others. Don't post anything about others that you wouldn't want posted about yourself.

Caissa

• View Profile
Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 10:24:38 AM »
My understanding is that the two parts you bolded are correct. I've had at least 3 students on our campus invite me to be one of their "friends". Clearly, a bluuring of roles. There are many students with whom I'm friendly, but I can't think of any who are my friends.

kuri

• View Profile
Facebook
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 10:28:33 AM »
You also have the option of keeping your full profile private to all but your "friends". I think that's a wiser option.

Caissa

• View Profile
Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 10:39:34 AM »
I'm not on Facebook. These are unsolicited emails.

Toedancer

• View Profile
Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 10:41:33 AM »
Employers are using Facebook. It's come up in discussions with kid that there is an element of discrimination amongst employers wanting real good looking kids to fill HR positions etc.

Modelling agencies are using it as well.
"Democracy is not the law of the majority, it's the protection of the minority." -Albert Camus 1913-1960

fern hill

• View Profile
Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 10:49:08 AM »
As skdadl would say: 'that is so not my culture'.

Fuck Facebook.

Return To TAT